Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot: Future discounts (or free?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, I hadn't even thought of that. How I loathe subscription services. That would incentivize me to buy it outright while ordering for sure.

Even if they were to charge $100/mo for autopilot, there would still be a >4 year break-even on the current lump sum cost, and you could be earning interest or dividends on the cash in the meantime. Couple that with the ability to turn off the feature when you're out of town or not doing much freeway driving, and I'm beginning to think that I might prefer the subscription model.

Even if they were to charge $100/mo for autopilot, there would still be a >4 year break-even on the current lump sum cost, and you could be earning interest or dividends on the cash in the meantime. Couple that with the ability to turn off the feature when you're out of town or not doing much freeway driving, and I'm beginning to think that I might prefer the subscription model.

I already have enough items that are subscription services, don't need another. At your $100 example - assuming you keep the car 3 years, we can use a very conservation residual estimate of 50% of the value for EAP. The $100 a month comes out to an interest rate of 9.54% for EAP - and that is assuming they don't raise the price at any time during the three years.

I am so glad my subscription services are going away with the 3 (at least for now) - no more charge for XM, no more MBrace - seeing those charges on my CC just makes me cringe.

BMW is switching to subscription service for CarPlay - that convinced me never to get another BMW again.
BMW to switch Apple CarPlay to subscription service

And if I own the car for 12 years and used it everyday that would cost me $14,400.

I actually got truly free Supercharging. My March 2017 delivery X100D did not come with free Supercharging. I paid about $155 for Supercharging during a cross-country trip. Then Tesla announced free Supercharging for all and even refunded all my Supercharging charges. So, dream on about an EAP discount, it could happen.

I think one possible scenario for reduced-cost EAP would be for older/high mileage cars. Shorter expected lifetime for EAP, so a reduced cost would be appropriate. I haven't seen Tesla do anything like that yet, but it could squeeze a few more dollars out of already sold cars. Or that subscription thing.

I think they would only bring the price down if a large majority stopped ordering it. :) Supply and Demand. I did not order it but I didn't want It built into my car payment. I plan to pay for it with cash later. I really don't ever sit in traffic and it's not worth more a month to auto park. I do want it because I think its a fun trick to show people, but not worth it just yet for me. I don't care if the price goes up, I assume that will be because it got better.

I think it's possible that there will be a price drop when the cars are older and the newer models are different. For example when the M3 is 5 years old. If the customer never bought EAP, why wouldn't Tesla cut the price in half (for > 5 year old cars) since the car lifetime is reduced anyway. It could create sales for Tesla that would otherwise never happen.

Also when similar features become standard equipment in all cars, even low priced ones, the price will have to drop. But that's probably 10 years from now.

In time, as the competition perfects their own autonomous driving, it will reach the point that every car, even cheap econoboxes, will come standard with full self driving. I don't know how long this will take to come to pass (at least years, might be decades, even if Elon's ambitions timeline for FSD availability comes to fruition), but I'm confident that is the future of transportation.

In time, as the competition perfects their own autonomous driving, it will reach the point that every car, even cheap econoboxes, will come standard with full self driving. I don't know how long this will take to come to pass (at least years, might be decades, even if Elon's ambitions timeline for FSD availability comes to fruition), but I'm confident that is the future of transportation.

Unless regulators force it, people always want a cheaper option. I don't know if Honda still does it but for years you could still buy a Honda Civic without AC, which always boggled my mind but there would be people who could only afford it if it came without. Tesla isn't an "economy" car maker yet so I don't think they care about any of that, but other car makers unless forced by regulation I think will offer those cheaper choices. Navigation is not standard. Back up cameras, I wonder if those are legally required now.

I think it's possible that there will be a price drop when the cars are older and the newer models are different. For example when the M3 is 5 years old. If the customer never bought EAP, why wouldn't Tesla cut the price in half (for > 5 year old cars) since the car lifetime is reduced anyway. It could create sales for Tesla that would otherwise never happen.

Also when similar features become standard equipment in all cars, even low priced ones, the price will have to drop. But that's probably 10 years from now.

I could see this scenario but EAP will never be free. Tesla is a business, not a charity and EAP is a option just like any other option.

EAP is never going to be cheaper, but potentially more expensive in the future.
Tesla's track record is to reward their loyal customers, the success of Tesla is build on their support and they know it.

That being said, i think it is also sensible to not get EAP right now if you do not commute regularly on freeway and a tight budget.

There is also an extreme scenario, where Tesla makes so much profit (like Apple), they would refund everyone their EAP and release it for free.

EAP is never going to be cheaper, but potentially more expensive in the future.
Tesla's track record is to reward their loyal customers, the success of Tesla is build on their support and they know it.

That being said, i think it is also sensible to not get EAP right now if you do not commute regularly on freeway and a tight budget.

There is also an extreme scenario, where Tesla makes so much profit (like Apple), they would refund everyone their EAP and release it for free.

I seriously doubt they will ever refund anyone. The only way they will provide it for "free" is that they add it to the base configuration and increase the price. It's the same way that air suspension is free on the S.

Reactions: Derek Kessler