Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot is BACK!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The “good” news about this package which should give prior EAP owners hope is that this means they really do eventually plan to actually include Autopark as part of EAP! Currently it “exists” but is a purely theoretical construct. Maybe they are still committed to delivering it to early EAP customers!

It has always been part of EAP, but there has not been much talk about it (there has been a little ambiguity about whether EAP people would get improvements when has Elon talked about the car really going to park itself - what did he call it? Advanced Autopark?) so good to see that any “revolutionary advances” :rolleyes: in Autopark will apply to EAP.

However, I’m sure they are already recognizing revenue for Autopark, which is insane, and I would take issue with that if I were their accountant.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: AlasCon
Does EA enable all the cameras? Is blind spot detection improved? I think Tesla's blind spot detection must be the worst of any $50K car made, at least on the non FSD cars.

Neither FSD nor EAP impact blind spot monitoring at all. It uses a combination of the rear facing cameras on the side, and the ultrasonic sensors. That combination is in every Tesla with HW2 or above. The HW1 vehicles only used ultrasonics and that really, really sucked.

I agree that blind spot detection in my Model 3 is the worst of any non-Tesla car I've ever used blind spot monitoring in.

But, is it the detection or is it the indicator?

I can't answer that question because for me in my Tesla the blind spot monitoring is basically non-existent. It's not like I'm going to look at the center screen. I'll just my mirrors and do the head tilt back like I normally do.

I do know it works because once it beeped at me because there was a car without its lights on in my blind spot that I didn't see because it was dark and raining.

On my sprinter van I'm way more in tune with what the blind spot monitoring is seeing because it has the indicators in the mirror where they belong.

Tesla is gambling a lot on FSD.

The improper blind spot monitoring indicator is a gamble. Lots of people complain about it.
The lack of a basic Adaptive Cruise Control system is a gamble. Lots of people complain about phantom braking because it's tuned way too much to do things only AP/FSD need. I'm paying attention whenever I use an adaptive cruise control system so I only need it to detect moving objects directly in front of me. Not to the sides, and I don't need it to pay attention to curves coming ahead (although that would be a nice setting to have).
The lack of a proper rain sensor led lots of people to complain especially in the PNW area.

• Informative
Reactions: AlasCon
I agree that blind spot detection in my Model 3 is the worst of any non-Tesla car I've ever used blind spot monitoring in.

But, is it the detection or is it the indicator?

It has to be the indicator as I think you agree. This is a basic technology found in entry-level cars. Elon doesn't like it, so it gets short shrift.

I don't need a side-view mirror indicator -- just a chime as warning would be great for most of us and anyone else can turn it off an be no worse off.

Very glad to see an intermediate step between AP and FSD. I’m hoping that Tesla considers doing this or something similar in the future for when I’m ready to open up the wallet again.

I’m am curious though, if you pay $4K for EAP now, would you still have to pay $8K for FSD in the future....I can’t imagine they’d expect the full amount sine you already have the majority of FSD...minus the “future component” I guess?
To upgrade from the new enhanced autopilot to to FSD is another $5000.

Reactions: BeeGood
Is everyone seeing this experience on Sept 30. On my Tesla account there was no date the update was going away.
Personally I would like to try as subscription first then buy at $4k if it’s worth it.
I will agree very disappointed at blind spot performance. There should be a camera option to keep that up without back up camera

Very glad to see an intermediate step between AP and FSD. I’m hoping that Tesla considers doing this or something similar in the future for when I’m ready to open up the wallet again.

I’m am curious though, if you pay $4K for EAP now, would you still have to pay $8K for FSD in the future....I can’t imagine they’d expect the full amount sine you already have the majority of FSD...minus the “future component” I guess?
They want $5000 additional to go from EAP to the FSD. We have EAP on one of our cars so they have the $5k option in the app bring the total to $9k. If I remember correctly they wanted $3k last year to make the switch a couple months after purchasing new but I don’t feel it’s worth the $3k so today’s $5k offer is definitely not worth it. We bought the car new in late March of 2019 with EAP and could have paid the $2k additional the for FSD instead of EAP but for the minor party tricks FSD offers I though then and still do that EAP is all you really need. Base AP is really the best deal because it has pretty much all the really useful parts covered, the lack of lane change isn’t bad because AP disconnects easier when the blinker is actuated so changing lanes is a breeze. If they brought back the $2k original upgrade price I’d probably bite just to be able to say we have every conceivable option.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeeGood
My tesla(s) would normally kill me in less than two minutes after enabling the AP if i did not react to it. Given that there are 1440 minutes in a day, that puts the current reliability at 0.1%. Long way to go to reach 99.99%..

Tesla has their strategy totally backwards. They need to significantly decrease the price of EAP/FSD so there will be more users producing data to help train the neural networks. More FSD users means more beta testers and faster improvement of FSD. At $8,000 you'd better buy TSLA than FSD.

Reactions: AlasCon and nealh
This is my first time to post anything. We purchased Enhanced Auto pilot with our Model 3 Mid Range in Feb of 2019. It was great until Tesla took it away a year later with a download. We had paid $4000.00 dollars for it and they are not able to give it back to us, after we called and inquired. With our experience I would say do not buy it or Auto pilot. It can be taken away for no reason. Possibly this post will go somewhere to resolve this dilemma. I would like to thank the person for asking this question and giving us the opportunity to reply. PS. we still love the car even they took $4000.00 from us.

This is my first time to post anything. We purchased Enhanced Auto pilot with our Model 3 Mid Range in Feb of 2019. It was great until Tesla took it away a year later with a download. We had paid $4000.00 dollars for it and they are not able to give it back to us, after we called and inquired. With our experience I would say do not buy it or Auto pilot. It can be taken away for no reason. Possibly this post will go somewhere to resolve this dilemma. I would like to thank the person for asking this question and giving us the opportunity to reply. PS. we still love the car even they took $4000.00 from us.

Did you buy your Model 3 used? I've heard of cases where people think a used Tesla has EAP or FSD and it actually doesn't, so when they buy it, Tesla takes it away, since the car was not supposed to have it. Maybe that happened to you. I've never heard of Tesla simply taking away EAP from a new car where the owner purchased EAP.

Tesla has their strategy totally backwards. They need to significantly decrease the price of EAP/FSD so there will be more users producing data to help train the neural networks. More FSD users means more beta testers and faster improvement of FSD. At $8,000 you'd better buy TSLA than FSD.
The software is running shadow mode whether or not you have purchased the feature. The only value in having a certain number of FSD users is to generate accident rate data with more statistical certainty, which will only be relevant once Tesla is seeking government approvals.

Reactions: clydeiii