Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot is BACK!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unknown. But my guess is that EAP is done at this point. Small changes yes, but no big features. Everything now will go to FSD. Just my guess.
It will be interesting to see how they handle Autopilot on HW3. Presumably they're going to make big improvements in TACC and Autosteer with regards to obstacle detection with HW3. Will those changes go to all HW3 cars or just FSD? It seems like they would almost certainly go to all HW3 cars. It's also possible that basic Autopilot can run on either HW2.5 and HW3 even after the rewrite so this won't be an issue.

Reactions: rlasry1
Tesla has their strategy totally backwards. They need to significantly decrease the price of EAP/FSD so there will be more users producing data to help train the neural networks. More FSD users means more beta testers and faster improvement of FSD. At $8,000 you'd better buy TSLA than FSD.
You think all those cameras and sensors are idle because you didn’t send them $8k.
Think again

Does anyone know if EAP will continue to get improvements or will Tesla only add services to FSD?

Since EAP is a subset of FSD, improvements for FSD would also mean improvements for EAP.

Navigation on Autopilot still needs lots of improvement on freeways. Same with Autopark and Summon. Same with reliably braking for stationary obstacles in basic Automatic Emergency Braking and plain Autopilot. If FSD got improvements on those features the subsets would too!

As FSD gets better, EAP just won't have additional features such as Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and Autosteer on city streets.

Since EAP is a subset of FSD, improvements for FSD would also mean improvements for EAP.

Navigation on Autopilot still needs lots of improvement on freeways. Same with Autopark and Summon. Same with reliably braking for stationary obstacles in basic Automatic Emergency Braking and plain Autopilot. If FSD got improvements on those features the subsets would too!

As FSD gets better, EAP just won't have additional features such as Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control and Autosteer on city streets.

I think the big question is, if Tesla decides to provide legal to use level 3 on highways, will that be considered FSD only? One can argue it is part of navigate on autopilot but Tesla could argue it requires FSD to be eyes off.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Very glad to see an intermediate step between AP and FSD. I’m hoping that Tesla considers doing this or something similar in the future for when I’m ready to open up the wallet again.

I’m am curious though, if you pay $4K for EAP now, would you still have to pay $8K for FSD in the future....I can’t imagine they’d expect the full amount sine you already have the majority of FSD...minus the “future component” I guess?
I just saw a story in Electrek that the upgrade from EAP to FSD will be $5k. In other words they’re dinging you $1k.

Reactions: BeeGood
Enhanced Autopilot definition needs an attentive and competent human driver so it will never be a level 3 or above feature.

That means as FSD progresses through Level 3, 4, 5, EAP will continue to get better at level 2 but you'll have to pay more for FSD to move beyond that level.

The problem is that isn’t stated, enhanced autopilot is stated to contain navigate on autopilot, the same thing as in the FSD package. What differs between them is driving on city streets with traffic lights and such.

So I am not convinced that is the case although it very well might be. Which might be reason enough to not buy EAP since it would be paying 4k to not have to change lanes yourself.

...The problem is that isn’t stated, enhanced autopilot is stated to contain navigate on autopilot, the same thing as in the FSD package...

Right now, Freeway Navigation on Autopilot is the same with EAP and FSD.

In the future, that will be different. EAP Freeway Navigation on Autopilot will continue to be level 2 that requires an alert competent driver while FSD Freeway Navigation on Autopilot will progress to level 5 with the owner sleeps restfully at home at 2AM while the car takes rides through freeways and city and earns money.

But that's the future and right now there's very little difference.

...Which might be reason enough to not buy EAP since it would be paying 4k to not have to change lanes yourself.

Very true. Everyone has different ways to evaluate the price.

I myself think Auto Lane Change right now is good enough for that price although I also love the Auto Freeway Exit feature since I used to miss exits often if I was on the phone or talking with my passenger, but not anymore.

Right now, Freeway Navigation on Autopilot is the same with EAP and FSD.

In the future, that will be different. EAP Freeway Navigation on Autopilot will continue to be level 2 that requires an alert competent driver while FSD Freeway Navigation on Autopilot will progress to level 5 with the owner sleeps restfully at home at 2AM while the car takes rides through freeways and city and earns money.

But that's the future and right now there's very little difference.

Well that is only your interpretation, as far as I know nothing is stated anywhere by Tesla. And until that happens we can only speculate.

It might as well be that navigate on autopilot is built out to be eyes off (level 3) within it’s operating limits.

There is also the question about if Tesla actually will take the liability needed for level 3 anytime soon.

... if Tesla actually will take the liability needed for level 3...

Tesla has not hinted that it will automatically cover liability for FSD.

It's just like an owner owns an automatic elevator. When there's an elevator accident, the owner would use the building's insurance first.

Same with Tesla, owners use their own insurance first. Of course, owners can sue Tesla anytime for compensation just like the way the famous South Korean Star sued Tesla for unintended acceleration and failed.

Tesla has not hinted that it will automatically cover liability for FSD.

It's just like an owner owns an automatic elevator. When there's an elevator accident, the owner would use the building's insurance first.

Same with Tesla, owners use their own insurance first. Of course, owners can sue Tesla anytime for compensation just like the way the famous South Korean Star sued Tesla for unintended acceleration and failed.

If they don’t they will not get legal level 3 or higher in most of the world. The regulation that is on the table now and will soon be starting to be implemented across Europe seems to put certain demands on the manufacturer. So if Tesla don’t parttake in that then their FSD is dead on arrival.

Mercedes say they will introduce their level 3 next year and has talked about how that means they will take part of the liability while the systen is engaged.

If there's a law then there's no need for Mercedes to "talk" about it but to obey the law of liability.

It sounds like there is no decision in Europe on who or what is responsible when there's an autonomous vehicle accident or fatality. Who will go to jail: Robot, Human Owner, Manufacturer CEO, Computer Coders...?

Well what has been drafted by UNECE (and passed) so far does state that it is the manufacturers responsilibity to make sure that the system does fulfill the requirements placed on it through the life time of the product and not just with one certification vehicle at one point. It is still unclear exactly at which level of government it will be made into law and how much choice that instance would have over exactly what and how is added.

Mercedes talks about it because it is important in a PR sense, if they believe enough in their system to accept responsibility for it the system will most likely get a higher acceptance from the get go. Even if the regulations say they would need to do it anyway they want to press that point.

And no the regulation would never point out who would go to jail in case of a problem, we are more interested in avoiding the fatalities to begin with. Even if the manufacturer has the responsibility a fault doesn’t mean anyone go to jail, the same way a driver normally wouldn’t go to jail if they casued a deadly accident (unless they were severely negligent). Without getting to political but judging from the prison situation in the US that is one way Europe is different from the US, we use prisons as a last resort.

Is this true? I would think if there were a flaw in the software that occasionally caused the elevator to fall to the ground that the manufacturer would be liable.
Also, automobile manufacturers end up being liable for design flaws all the time!

Is this true? I would think if there were a flaw in the software that occasionally caused the elevator to fall to the ground that the manufacturer would be liable.
Also, automobile manufacturers end up being liable for design flaws all the time!

As @Ofarlig points out, if a company like Mercedes is willing to cover the liability just like a standard new car warranty, then everything is seamless and smooth. There's no need to go to court to prove that the elevator's software caused the accident.

It takes time to go to court to prove there's a design flaw from automobile manufacturers. It took 6 years in court before GM would settle Ignition Switch Class Action.

Tesla's way of not covering liability is not consumer-friendly. I understand that a driver can be blamed right now with Tesla's automation system but Tesla needs to communicate its confidence in its own technology by covering liability when there's no driver in a Robotaxi.