Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot is scary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I question some of the “decisions” autopilot makes. The lane change maneuver is abrupt, not smooth. It decides way late to get into an exit lane. Braking is very last minute at times instead of slowing to a stop. Speed into sharper turns is too fast.

I could go on, but does anyone else feel the same? Is there an “old man” mode that drives more safely?

Thanks for the help.

I’m not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I question some of the “decisions” autopilot makes. The lane change maneuver is abrupt, not smooth. It decides way late to get into an exit lane. Braking is very last minute at times instead of slowing to a stop. Speed into sharper turns is too fast.

I could go on, but does anyone else feel the same? Is there an “old man” mode that drives more safely?

Thanks for the help.
Did you set Chill mode?
It will be not you grandma Buick however.
Yes, AP is a bit jerky and spooky same time. When approaching standing cars it will decelerate quite late and energetic.
It’s mostly for highway drive however, so maybe expect smooth driving in city is too much, yet.

p.s. It still lack some “far sight” like I would ease seeing red light ahead but AP would drive full steam till the very last moment. Not sure it’s could be improved with current HW (you need quite a good camera dedicated for that)

Reactions: MYinBend
...It decides way late to get into an exit lane...

Agreed. I wish it would signal much earlier to prepare us that it will exit soon. Right now, since it signals very close to an exit, if it makes a mistake and skips the exit, driver needs to be really quick to override it and turn the steering wheel for the exit. Very little time for driver's reaction.

...Braking is very last minute at times instead of slowing to a stop....

Yes. You also need to be alert that it does not automatically brake for stationary vehicles sometimes so you have to be very alert to make sure it does brake for you.

I am not sure if it helps but you might want to set the Following Distance to a longer length at 7 (1 is shortest).

...Speed into sharper turns is too fast...

You'll have to learn which sharp turns works and which don't and be ready to apply the brake as needed.

...I could go on, but does anyone else feel the same?

Yes. I've used Autopilot since 2017 and I feel the same.

It's not a final product because it's beta so you just need to learn how you adapt to its competencies or incompetencies.

It's like I can complain a lot that I paid too much for an unfinished house (beta) but it's completely dark at night and something is wrong with it! Of course! It is not finished yet so the electrical hook up is not there yet, so I can adapt to it by bringing my own flashlights or I can just complain about it but complaining won't help until the electricians finish their job!

But overall, I am very pleased with Autopilot even when it didn't work on the city streets and although it worked on the freeway at that time but only at 35MPH maximum. It's a tool and I am glad it's there even when it's imperfect.

Reactions: laservet
Agreed. I wish it would signal much earlier to prepare us that it will exit soon. Right now, since it signals very close to an exit, if it makes a mistake and skips the exit, driver needs to be really quick to override it and turn the steering wheel for the exit. Very little time for driver's reaction.

But in that kind of situation imho you should just stay on the freeway and take the next exit. I really worked hard with my kids when I was teaching them to drive that you should always choose driving the wrong direction safely to the right direction dangerously. I've seen too many people panic and "lurch over" suddenly in an attempt to get off at an exit, endangering everyone around them as they cut across lanes.

Reactions: brkaus and Nakk
Odd...I am seeing the opposite functionality. I would say that 99% of my 20 miles one way trip (40 each day) are done perfectly. From the moment I engage NOP on the on ramp, to the moment I am getting off the off ramp, it works mostly flawlessly.

I have one section that is a construction detour that I slow down to 65 mph, but it does a great job through the winding lanes to hold me centered. As far as interchanges, it also slows me down for the curve as well.

I go from 80mph to a 30mph right turn and it does great. Drops me in increments about 4 times. 80-65, 65-50, 50-40, 40-30.

Reactions: drtimhill
Just wait until you get a phantom panic braking event when coming up to a freeway overpass. :confused:
Uggh, I'll be new to this in the next few weeks....I think from what I've heard, you just manually accelerate through this? Will have to learn the riskier overpasses, as there are some I foresee could be a problem. Any other common triggers for phantom braking to be aware of? Thanks.

Uggh, I'll be new to this in the next few weeks....I think from what I've heard, you just manually accelerate through this? Will have to learn the riskier overpasses, as there are some I foresee could be a problem. Any other common triggers for phantom braking to be aware of? Thanks.

While I'm not saying that phantom braking isnt a problem, remember that many people (including myself) almost never encounter this issue (I've had only ONE case of it, and even that was dubious). You can never judge the quantitative aspect of any problem from forums such as this, as almost by definition people post problems here, not non-problems.

Yes I feel generally the same way. My biggest issue is interchanges from one highway to the next. It does not foresee the need to slow down for a short, curved exit. Nor does it do well with short on-ramps.

I've noticed lots of improvement with sharp curves. In the beginning, it was suicidal to rely on the system at a sharp curve but gradually, it has been pretty much competent for my routes.

It's possible that the curve competencies are different at different locations and eventually, yours will catch up too!

Any other common triggers for phantom braking to be aware of? Thanks.

So on my last road trip, I also experienced phantom braking when driving alongside vehicles that are pulling trailers. Due to wind gusts, the trailers would sometimes wobble and autopilot would brake aggressively (thinking the trailer is about swerve into my lane).

In any case, I am now prepared for these random freak outs and immediately override by stepping on the accelerator.