Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced AutoPilot on a Model X and Model S Different Experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I had a Model X Loaner last week and the autopilot experience was much different. The X was able to see multiple lanes of traffic on city roads, whereas my S only does this on the highway. Also the X could see cars and trucks in the lanes next to me where my S only sees in front. Also the trucks where pictured as trucks.... on my S I only have the car images? Another difference on the X was the car in front of me turned Blue every now and than, i have never seen this on my S. Lastly, i was able to change lanes on city roads in the X, where my S only allows me to do this on the highway.

Does anyone know what i am referring to?

Reactions: u00mem9
For the time being you will be. Still holding out hope that it won’t be tooooo long before AP2 can hold its head up high.

Maybe Tesla meant 2017 and not 2016 on their website last year :eek:

:( I've gotten used to the 3 lanes, cars, trucks, speed limits posted..arghh..
How does Tesla release a product worst than the previous version with double the cameras, half the functionality and charge double for it?? Amazing Mr. Musk.

From what I read, AP2 is far better today than it was even a few months back. Not holding my breath on promised timelines. That should keep me calm lol.

(admit it Tesla...Mobileye really knew what they were doing. You should have kept that relationship solid).

How does Tesla release a product worst than the previous version with double the cameras, half the functionality and charge double for it?? Amazing Mr. Musk.

From what I read, AP2 is far better today than it was even a few months back. Not holding my breath on promised timelines. That should keep me calm lol.

(admit it Tesla...Mobileye really knew what they were doing. You should have kept that relationship solid).

You have no clue what happened to make that relationship deteriorate and neither do we - nor do you know if Tesla would have been better off sticking with Mobileye. What you have are two sharply diverging narratives.

Reactions: LargeHamCollider
You have no clue what happened to make that relationship deteriorate and neither do we - nor do you know if Tesla would have been better off sticking with Mobileye. What you have are two sharply diverging narratives.

How about this, the Q1 call claim that Elon made about replicating Mobileye’s work in 6 short months was the Musk version of the Bush “Mission Accomplished” carrier landing in 2003. :D

You're right...no ones knows how that relation dissolved. All we can do is surmise whether it was a positive or negative to consumers at present.

I believe the proof of 'being better off or not' is taking a look at reality...not personal narrative or opinion at all! We are almost at a year of AP2 with promised and broken statements of parity and/or superior performance within 6-8 months ...and here we are with AP1 (half the cameras and 1/4 the software capability) still functionally stronger and more stable on a day to day basis.

I'm not ignoring the fact Tesla may have had to start from scratch, had to develop entirely new algorithms, software...and had literally zero real world mileage driving for testing. I'm only stating that for the consumer today, all the (backdoor issues aside), one is receiving less functionality for twice the price. Even AP1 owners were promised traffic light recognition years ago lol.

Based on where functionality was last year with MobEye, where that company is today with other luxury carmakers and where Tesla is today inhouse... I think it's safe to say I would wish to know where AP would be had MBEye stuck around. Certainly not inferior to where AP1 is today...and likely vastly improved over AP2 today given the history and accumulated data over years.

Sigh...one can dream.

Or they could have bought Mobileye instead of IBM. Can't wait for the in-house media player, and in-house chips :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9