Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot released for Australia and New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Depends on what they price it at. Personally, I am expecting tesla to sell "Enhanced autopilot" at the same price we used to pay to get the full FSD (and the upgrades it came with it).

Spitballing a number, I expect them to charge either 7 or 8k for it here in the US, and it will be interesting to see both what the reception to that would be (especially considering that tesla does not have to offer a thing more under EAP than it does right now) and what it does to any subscriptions, etc.

Depends on what they price it at. Personally, I am expecting tesla to sell "Enhanced autopilot" at the same price we used to pay to get the full FSD (and the upgrades it came with it).

Spitballing a number, I expect them to charge either 7 or 8k for it here in the US, and it will be interesting to see both what the reception to that would be (especially considering that tesla does not have to offer a thing more under EAP than it does right now) and what it does to any subscriptions, etc.

All I want is auto lane change...that would not be worth 7k for me and not sure I would use the other functions. THought I read Kia EV6 does auto lane changes now...should come standard with autopilot or for a much smaller fee than 7k.

That's good news. I still think that "FSD" should have just been called "Enhanced Autopilot" from the start. It would have avoided some unnecessary controversy.
yes, I would go a bit further and even eliminate the word "Autopilot". I'd use other terminology like "Assisted Driving" or some other phrase that doesn't imply the car is going to do everything for me without monitoring from me.

Reactions: diplomat33
All I want is auto lane change...that would not be worth 7k for me and not sure I would use the other functions. THought I read Kia EV6 does auto lane changes now...should come standard with autopilot or for a much smaller fee than 7k.
Was going to say the exact same thing.

While I eventually would love to have a full FSD solution, I still think that is far off. In the meantime, if I can't have my car drive me on long road trips overnight while I sleep, or earn me money as a robotaxi, then all I really want is autosteer, TACC, and auto lane change. And I'm certainly not willing to pay $6K for that (even though I did pay $5K for it when I bought my Tesla, but that was back before Elon destroyed his credibility by promising FSD would be there "next year" and we actually believed him), especially when it still has issues vis-à-vis the competition.

And auto lane change is nice, but the way my wife's ID4 handles lane changes is that when it's in the equivalent of autosteer mode, if you manually change lanes, it will automatically acquire the new lane and continue to autosteer, so it's not that bad. You don't have to disengage/re-engage AP to do a lane change.

Looking at other websites, New Zealand for example, it looks like FSD is double the price of EAP.

So seems like $6k for EAP (presumably upgradeable to FSD for something like an additional $7k-$8k after purchase?), or $12k for FSD, would be rough starting points in the US unless this comes with an overall price hike (seems doubtful with the current state of FSD).

Though overall price of FSD in these other markets is lower right now, so perhaps the ratio would be different? Or maybe if they're snagging more people with EAP they'll lower the overall FSD price again (though Elon said they would never do that I think, so probably not).

Anyway $6k seems like a lot of money to pay for auto lane change, NOA, Autopark (which doesn't really work in any useful way), Summon, and Smart Summon (which of course doesn't work though it was the most viral feature ever). But I guess I paid about the same ($5k) so here we are.

I'd like EAP to include "ding when the light turns green". I had this feature with standard AP when I bought my car almost a year ago. Turns out it was a mistake and Tesla disabled it in a OTA update.
One of the best features of FSD, and unquestionably useful in spite of the false positives, though I don't think it was worth $3k. Should have paid $2k for it when I had the chance though.

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
If EAP is anything over $5,000 then @elonmusk is showing the true value of Full FSD……not a lot……and anything less will nerf FSD buyin.

I have been renting FSD on my 2021 S after having paid for FSD on three other Teslas. I would drop to $99 a month in a heartbeat for EAP. Might even buyin at $4k if that was offered.

Reactions: 2101Guy
If EAP is anything over $5,000 then @elonmusk is showing the true value of Full FSD……not a lot……and anything less will nerf FSD buyin.

I have been renting FSD on my 2021 S after having paid for FSD on three other Teslas. I would drop to $99 a month in a heartbeat for EAP. Might even buyin at $4k if that was offered.
$99 a month seems to be what most are expecting. I believe they would do well at that price point.

Reactions: boonedocks