Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Recently took a delivery of MYRWD and I was fuming about the removal of USS but I still wanted the car so I accepted. Just wondering if anyone has used the enhanced autopilot and would they recommend the service… obviously when we get "TESLA VISION" or if we get it 😂

Thanks

I opted for EAP on my M3P from new. I do the odd short trips at the weekend with the wife and little one but my main drives are to work and back - 170 ish miles on a Sunday and Friday night. Gloucestershire to Lincolnshire to be vague. I use EAP almost exclusively on the trip and 99% of the time it’s brilliant.

Similar distance in my last job, Gloucestershire to Pembrokeshire and same EAP use for me. On the dark, unlit stretches it sometimes refuses an overtake as the cameras couldn’t see, but apart from that it’s great.

Wouldn’t change it, and if I were to buy another car again today I would 100% spec EAP. City drives, the stuff I do at weekends etc no chance, but for my use, it’s amazing.

• Helpful
Reactions: jr_gn
I went for it as I use summon quite often (I need to move the car to get into the garage) but that's of no use to you with TeslaVision...

As for the enhanced autopilot part of it, I've never used Navigate on Autopilot so I can't comment on that but the automated lane changes are verrrrrry slow so it makes making overtaking manoeuvres quite a challenge but, on reflection, I'd preferred that over having to disengage and reengage Autopilot every time I had to make a lane change.

Basic AP gives you 99% of what EAP gives you. I had EAP on the previous car, I found navigate on autopilot added very little/nothing that sat nav gives you, recommended lane changes git turned off as they werent always appropriate and you need to indicate anyway, which left lane changes without needing to re-engage auto steering. So on a drive the only inconvenience for me was the ability to make lane changes slightly easier.

Auto parking I simply never used, the one time I did it was slow but I believe it’s a bit better now, but I’ve never had a problem parking anyway. Summon I used maybe twice in 6 years (I also had a AP1 early car that had it).

Without parking sensors, half of that doesn’t work at the moment, and there’s a real question mark over how good they’ll actually be when Teslavision enables them, ias an example it’s 5-6 years since they decided to use vision to control the wipers and it’s still very mixed.

The performance of Autopilot doesn’t change if you buy EAP, the difference is the extra few features. There’s a video showing what the included AP can do and touches on the differences here, it seems a lot of money for what you actually get.

Yesterday, I did a 120 mile drive on a motorway. A new phenomenon appeared. Everytime I approached a truck while I was in the outside lane using EAP, my speed automatically reduced by 5 mph and then increased again after i passed it. Only trucks, not cars or vans and the trucks were all completely in the correct lane. The frustration for following cars (presumably my brake lights) was obvious so I turned it off.
This is now my fourth year of ownership and second M3 with whatever rubbish software Tesla puts in their cars under the pretense of 'self-driving'. I live in France and travel to Spain by car about once a quarter. It is only on these long drives with few other vehicles around that the performance of EAP is of some use for long-distance cruising. Even then, bridges with shadows will still frighten the car into phantom braking. Impressive performance car but given the ridiculously empty software updates over the past eighteen months, it's going to be years before it lives up to promises made about it by Tesla.

The only feature of significant worth in EAP is the auto lane change, the others are little more than unreliable gimmicks. It can take a little while to become familiar with the timing etc. for the lane change, but once you do it's fantastic. Every motorway I turn it on for the full time until I leave.

Had FSD on my first Model 3, no-brainer to get EAP when I replaced it last year.

How does that work, you approach a vehicle from behind (going slower) and the car automatically indicates to overtake? With standard autopilot driver must indicate?

Also can you buy EAP on sub monthly or is it the full amount up front?
Due to UNECE regulations the car needs you to indicate yourself even with EAP, and then can change lanes on its own to overtake, without leaving AP/Autosteer.
With standard AP the car will stand behind that slow car, and if you indicate, change lane, it will cancel AP (bong), overtake yourself, then you'll need to re enable it again (bong) once you're in your desired lane.

And no, currently you need to pay the full £3,400 upfront. There is a monthly subscription available in the US but no indication that this will come on our shores so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDOC
Due to UNECE regulations the car needs you to indicate yourself even with EAP, and then can change lanes on its own to overtake, without leaving AP/Autosteer.
With standard AP the car will stand behind that slow car, and if you indicate, change lane, it will cancel AP (bong), overtake yourself, then you'll need to re enable it again (bong) once you're in your desired lane.

And no, currently you need to pay the full £3,400 upfront. There is a monthly subscription available in the US but no indication that this will come on our shores so far.
Yup that for the lane change procedure, but it will also suggest when you should change lanes using the Navigate on AutoPilot feature, so it's more like

1. The car suggests a lane change, I check that I'm comfortable with it's suggestion.
2. I hit the indicators to confirm and make sure I'm giving the wheel enough of a touch that it will know I'm there
3. The car moves to the new lane and accelerates to it's set speed/distance from the car in front.
4. Car suggest when I should move left again and proceedure repeats.

Basically I'm no longer thinking about lanes, it is, my job is to keep myself safe by looking around. I find I'm far more aware in general of what's happening on the road as my eyes aren't working to figure out driving details.

Without EAP the car will stay in lane and a safe distance from the car in front, basically a middle lane hogger. To change lanes you take over the steering until you can reenable back in the other lane.

that AP bong is the most frustrating thing ever.

tesla just have to get to senses and make standr AP work like in other cars where it reenables itself after lane change.

maybe add some other stupid gimmicky feature to differentiate it from EAP...

I have a slightly related question regarding all variations of Auto-Pilot - Does the so called phantom braking only occur when AP or EAP is activated?

Does it ever happen during 'manual' driving?
Doesn't happen when normal driving. I've actually found it's pretty rare now on the roads where I think Autopilot is worth using, but it does seem the luck of the draw at times with some experiencing it more than others.

Reactions: EV1980
Can you re-activate it with voice command? Looking for button on screen might be too annoying (for me)

I have a slightly related question regarding all variations of Auto-Pilot - Does the so called phantom braking only occur when AP or EAP is activated?

Yes and no.

Phantom braking is really a TACC thing (which is enabled when autosteer is on) when most discuss it, however, automatic emergency brake and obstacle aware acceleration will get triggered on when manual driving, but its often less of a phantom brake/deceleration/lack of acceleration as normally, its obvious what caused it and bit of a last minute thing. AEB may however still get triggered by false detections/non events.

This is a topic of much disagreement on here.

Some people like me have next to no issue with phantom breaking, on multiple cars.

Other people claim the entire system is completely unusable in any circumstance.

We've not been able to have any sensible conversation as to why the difference without people becoming very defensive about how they drive, exact circumstances, implying people lie etc. It's not worth trying to help.

fundamentally EAP and AP are the same, only the lane change feature doesn't exist without the more expensive package. Other than that it's identical. It's not a different piece of code.

• Funny
Can you re-activate it with voice command? Looking for button on screen might be too annoying (for me)
You turn it on by pushing the right stalk down twice. More or less all the primary driving controls are either on the wheel, stalks or are automatic, it's very rare I touch the screen while driving.

Wheel controls
Left Button - Media - push to silence, scroll for volume, nudge left/right to skip tracks
Right Button - push for voice commands, scroll to change AP/TACC speed, nudge left/right to change AP/TACC follow distance

Stalks
Left Stalk - Pull to flash lights, push to toggle highbeam/lowbeam/autohighbeam, up/down indicate, button wipe screen, deep push button squirt windscreen
Right stalk - From park - down for Forward Gear, Up for reverse, push button for park. Once driving - Single down TACC, double down AP, push up to cancel AP/TACC.

Automatic
Lights
Wipers
(if you don't like the auto settings then you use the screen, for manual adjustment, as long as you aren't using AP).

Last edited:
Yesterday, I did a 120 mile drive on a motorway. A new phenomenon appeared. Everytime I approached a truck while I was in the outside lane using EAP, my speed automatically reduced by 5 mph and then increased again after i passed it. Only trucks, not cars or vans and the trucks were all completely in the correct lane. The frustration for following cars (presumably my brake lights) was obvious so I turned it off.
What version @Sparkeur ? I've seen other reports of this. Sounds like from some responses that you have bought the wrong car!