Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot updates & Full Self-Driving Capability updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn’t sure where to post this so I made a megathread for future reference.

Navigate on Autopilot will now (in version 2018.48.1) suggest that you lane change out of the passing lane on highways:

Tesla-navifate-on-autopilot-passing-lane.jpg

Source: Electrek and u/ahatzz11 on r/teslamotors

A good one from Scott Kubo, showing how good/bad the cameras and ultrasonics are at picking up motorcycles that weave between cars in different lanes:

Just because the display doesn’t read out the motorcycles does not mean the car does not see it. The autopilot neural net and the display interpretation of the net are likely 2 separate things and have different configuration. Likely scenario is Tesla wouldn’t display a vehicle movin faster than a human driver could react to seeing t on the display as what would be the point? So autopilot may very well know the motorcycle is there, but would only serve as a distraction to the driver to have it zip by in the display. My thought ms anyway. Seems likely.

Reactions: croman
Just because the display doesn’t read out the motorcycles does not mean the car does not see it. The autopilot neural net and the display interpretation of the net are likely 2 separate things and have different configuration. Likely scenario is Tesla wouldn’t display a vehicle movin faster than a human driver could react to seeing t on the display as what would be the point? So autopilot may very well know the motorcycle is there, but would only serve as a distraction to the driver to have it zip by in the display. My thought ms anyway. Seems likely.

I doubt this makes any significant difference here.

It is clear comparing @verygreen videos and everyday action on the AP2+ IC that there is a direct link between the NN output and the IC display on Version 9. Of course there is an algorithm in-between but the car movements do match the behavior that has been otherwise confirmed to be from the NNs or AP proper. For example the rear camera and side camera close-up distance measurements are all over the place in both cases — on the videos from AP data and on the NN IC.

The algorithm that shows cars on the IC could do some level of filtering and I’m sure there may be some level of rounding error but given the simply raw nature of what is happening on the IC every day it does not seem to do much of the sort on Version 9 (probably did more earlier when the IC display was simpler so it had to do more of an approximation). In my view it is much more likely here that what we get is what it sees...

• Helpful
Reactions: PaulJohn
I am still not convinced. A simple filter would prevent motorcycle display if moving above certain speed. NN sees so much more than display. See video below. Pylons are rarely shown on display as object detection. Sometimes on side. Never in front. Yet car reacts to them all perfectly.

Reactions: PaulJohn
I am still not convinced. A simple filter would prevent motorcycle display if moving above certain speed. NN sees so much more than display. See video below. Pylons are rarely shown on display as object detection. Sometimes on side. Never in front. Yet car reacts to them all perfectly.

I was referring to the IC displaying vehicles. It is true the IC filters out pylons and things like that since it does not display such things at all. But vehicles like motorcycles do originate from the NN and IC displays them accordingly. Talking about the vehicle displays on IC only... But it does mean the IC seems to be a pretty good place from where to judge how reliably the NN at this time sees cars, bikes etc.

The ”object detecions” for pylons and such seen on the IC (the ”waves”) are merely the ultrasonics working separately. They are not related to the NNs at all. They work poorly at speed due to inherent limitations of the technology.

• Informative
Reactions: Leopold Stotch
I've noticed that AP loves to randomly slam on the brakes when a lane splitting motorcycle goes by. I'll be driving at 70 MPH and a lane splitting motorcycle drives by and the cars slams on the brakes violently to around 30 MPH as if it was trying to avoid a collision. But it's not a consistent behavior, it only does it once in a while. I suspect it's when a motorcycle gets too close to the center of the lane but I'm not too sure.

I was referring to the IC displaying vehicles. It is true the IC filters out pylons and things like that since it does not display such things at all. But vehicles like motorcycles do originate from the NN and IC displays them accordingly. Talking about the vehicle displays on IC only... But it does mean the IC seems to be a pretty good place from where to judge how reliably the NN at this time sees cars, bikes etc.

Maybe. I still think Tesla may only show on the IC what the car thinks it should react to. What should the car do when a motorcycle comes flying by like that? Nothing. So show nothing. Eventually when autopilot starts biasing over in the lane for these things maybe they’ll display it, maybe they won’t. Still seems to serve only as a distraction. I guess I just don’t care for the word “sees”. I would think the NN sees bike approaching just fine, but in these conditions NN is following guidance and not reacting. So not shown. Eventually gat may change.