Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot vs. FSD - Exactly the same today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased FSD for my MS in December. I agree that FSD might be a few years out (or longer), but I am hoping for some interim steps that utilize the FSD option and side cameras before then. If that happens, I would feel my $3k was well spent.
I got FSD 9/28/2017 for the same reason. I expect incremental improvements that are only available if you purchased FSD before the end of 2018. But do not expect "full" FSD until 2020.

(1) I've never seen any of the options increase their after the fact price, but that's no guarantee that FSD won't since it's the killer future feature of the Model S, Model X, Model 3.

though historically Tesla has not increased the price of after-delivery upgrades. That doesn't mean it won't, but there's no precedent for it.

Tesla absolutely has increased software prices after the fact. Autopilot used to be $2500, then they increased it to $5000. Folks who had not bought it yet were subject to the increased price. Other things have lowered - the battery software upgrades for the more recent 60s and 70s did get cheaper by a lot and folks who had previously bought did not get refunds of the difference. Its a gamble - and probably based on what Tesla thinks they can get for something. If no one is buying battery software upgrades, they lower the price. If everyone is buying AP, they raise the price.

Also, after the fact upgrade options do disappear without notice. We were in the middle of purchasing the ludicrous upgrade for our 2015 P85D when Tesla pulled the rug out from under that one. The upgrade was available on the website when we booked the service appointment, by the time they got the car in the shop it was gone, and they couldn't do anything for us except apologize for the inconvenience.

I decided to gamble on getting FSD now. I did not buy it for the FSD capability, but for the access to the additional 4 cameras installed on my car. I figure they will eventually start rolling out capabilities that require the upgrade soon (maybe actual auto lane changes for example) or folks who leased the 2016 cars will revolt.

Bought it.

Isn't the technology one of the main reasons to get this car? It is so fun watching it grow and you will always be in the know and first to have it. When chicks (or hunks) say "Does this have FSD?" are you OK saying "I can't afford it?" If you can afford it, then get it.

Finance wise, it's still cheaper to buy now even if it takes 10 years to come out. Interest rates continue to rise and inflation will still happen despite. Debt is your friend ahead of this inevitable fact. Unless you're debt free, the lowest interest rate wins. Do you ever plan to accum debt on a card or a boat? And yes, Tesla needs cash now - do it for the mission. To me, it's like lending my best friend some money.

It may never get to Level 5 but I'm pretty sure Tesla will diverge features in V9 later this summer. I want all my sensors involved, and maximum safety engaged (not to say it won't but you sure?). I want to see this unfold, then be a pioneer for others. I want to understand how AI works, and I'm learning. But that's just me.

But if you like to follow others...

FYI, "FSD" Az Plate was my second choice. Decided on something cooler to help corner my SoulPedal(R) Trademark.

Attachments

• FSD.jpg
    FSD.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 29
I'm into this technologically marvel of a machine.... So, I'm all in..... Looking forward to being on the bleeding edge with this car for quite a while..... Personally, the tech is the many reason for my purchase...

So, be it 2 years... 5 years.... and so on..... I know that over the course of ownership, I will enjoy it as it constantly evolves...