Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced or FSD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neither. I am happy with what I got in autopilot. Since EAP or FSD is not transferrable, I will sell my MY in 2-3 years and get another Tesla (cybertruck or compact Tesla). Hopefully, by that time, FSD is more mature and won't be more than a $10k option--assuming Tesla just keeps hiking the price of it.
It stays with the car so it is transferable to the next owner.

I didn’t vote because I am also on the fence. My question is if I get EHA now, but later decide I want the FSD; will my price be reduced if I upgrade later? For example if it cost 10K for FSD will I get it for 6K because I already paid for for the EHA?
I do intend to get the cyber truck, but I have a model X with free lifetime supercharging; so I really never intend to sell this vehicle. Also my Tesla stock will more than pay for my cyber truck as I’m sure the SP will jump dramatically once it is released.

• Informative
Reactions: kmacm20
I didn’t vote because I am also on the fence. My question is if I get EHA now, but later decide I want the FSD; will my price be reduced if I upgrade later? For example if it cost 10K for FSD will I get it for 6K because I already paid for for the EHA?
I do intend to get the cyber truck, but I have a model X with free lifetime supercharging; so I really never intend to sell this vehicle. Also my Tesla stock will more than pay for my cyber truck as I’m sure the SP will jump dramatically once it is released.
I would think so. I recently sold my 2018 LR RWD 3 and had EAP. Each time it went up the price went up but it was a fraction of the price. It was last at $5K to upgrade (which is the same price if you get on EAP now and want FSD later)

Reactions: kmacm20

I don't know about what the prices will be in the future, but I did see on another thread that someone purchased EAP for $4000 and then they had the option to upgrade to FSD for $5000. That would be $9000 total as opposed to $8000 that FSD costs. So, it seems it'll cost you an extra $1000 right now if you get EAP and want to upgrade to FSD later instead of just getting FSD.

I don't know about what the prices will be in the future, but I did see on another thread that someone purchased EAP for $4000 and then they had the option to upgrade to FSD for $5000. That would be $9000 total as opposed to $8000 that FSD costs. So, it seems it'll cost you an extra $1000 right now if you get EAP and want to upgrade to FSD later instead of just getting FSD.
And that is based on today. I'm assuming that the 5K add on will only go up in price. Not down. So, by doing this deal for EAP now, Tesla does well, but any buyer who gets FSD anytime in the future has committed at least 1K more.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
I voted for EAP because there wasn't an "Don't do anything" option.

I voted for EAP because it's a Model Y forum so everyone with a Model Y has HW3, and doesn't need to worry about the HW being a bottleneck for future updates.

I voted for EAP despite the fact that I think it's a big pile of junk where the only aspect of it that works mostly correctly is user initiated auto-lane changes. Everything else is YMMV kind of thing where I say it sucks (because it does from a binary does it work or does it not work) kind of view, but someone else will say it works great because it makes their commute easier because it happens to work fine over 20-30 miles of some freeway in California.

I voted for EAP despite the fact that I think its a way of loosening a tight bolt. In selling EAP to Model Y owners they get the owners closer dollars wise to FSD. So that means in a year or two when FSD significantly differentiates itself from EAP it will be easier to convince those people to spend another $4K or $5K to move up to FSD. It's a rather brilliant strategy especially since its about 3-6 months away from the major rewrite release that will add autosteering in city streets (which likely means lots of other improvements).

I voted for EAP despite the fact that I don't believe Elon cares one bit about EAP. If he did things like NoA would actually work, and you wouldn't have so much phantom braking with TACC/AP/NoA. They could do easy fixes to make NoA better, but they don't. It's waiting on borrowing stuff from FSD to get better. So part of me thinks people should either do nothing or go all in on the bet. But, the nature of people including myself tend to be attracted to the middle option.

• Disagree
Reactions: Schly
And that is based on today. I'm assuming that the 5K add on will only go up in price. Not down. So, by doing this deal for EAP now, Tesla does well, but any buyer who gets FSD anytime in the future has committed at least 1K more.

Yeah, it's just a money grab.

They took away the EAP option because it didn't make much sense. You either have autonomous driving or you don't. EAP is always going to be a driver assist feature, and its never going to be a L4 autonomous feature like FSD is intended for (like the video shows on the more about autopilot tab within the Model 3 page, but not the Model Y page which is a weird website issue).

Then they re-introduced EAP in a limited time offer so we have to ask why, and to question the timing.

The release is right before the release of a major rewrite and adding autosteer in city streets for FSD. Pretty much all the development efforts is on FSD right now. So there is little question that FSD will go up in price by at least $1K. It's also right before FSD is going to be offered in a subscription model.

To me all they're doing to getting more money for the end of the quarter, and they're getting people closer to FSD dollars wise.

They're also doing it before anyone has a chance to do the math on it.

I find this whole thing to be bizarre.

How does one even have $4K sitting around during a time of great uncertainty? Where regardless of your politics or beliefs there are a billion different gofundme's with people crying for help.

I'm questioning spending $4K improving my home windows with sound reducing inserts so I don't murder my neighbor because of his barking dog. That $4K is a lot of money that I'd rather not spend right now. I'm probably going to do one window to make sure that along with other improvements fixes the issue before spending the rest of the money to get the other key windows improved.

Initially I wish to have auto lane change. Quite only feature I’d like from EAP combo.
NoA not really as our trips usually never go as planned. Summon and auto park not for me.

But after driving a bit with autosteer I thought I’d stay put. 4K for ALC when it works too much. And you need really hold steering wheel tight for it to work. Lane departure warning seems quite enough for me and I can just hold a steering lightly and relax.
TACC is most I enjoyed even could be a bit jerky on acceleration and too spooky when car ahead turning away...

• Funny
Reactions: dcm3
Initially I wish to have auto lane change. Quite only feature I’d like from EAP combo.
NoA not really as our trips usually never go as planned. Summon and auto park not for me.

But after driving a bit with autosteer I thought I’d stay put. 4K for ALC when it works too much. And you need really hold steering wheel tight for it to work. Lane departure warning seems quite enough for me and I can just hold a steering lightly and relax.
TACC is most I enjoyed even could be a bit jerky on acceleration and too spooky when car ahead turning away...

Auto Lane Change is awesome particularly for long trips when passing trucks in teh slower right lane.

Of course, it's value to you depends on how much you drive and have in the bank. :cool:

You DON'T need to hold the steering wheel for Auto Lane Change to work...I am taking delivery of a new Y this coming Saturday. I have a LR RWD Model 3 from 2018 I purchased new. At that time, I purchased EAP for $5000. Just upgraded to FSD on my Model 3 as it was on "sale" for $3000 and I basically wanted the new hardware upgrade. Don't really care that much about FSD but when and if it ever arrives I know I will get it now. On my Y, I got the FSD as we keep cars for at least 7 years and I think before we get rid of either of them it might have a chance of appearing. If I were not keeping the car that long, and the new cars come with hardware 3, I would opt for the EAP for $4000. I also use Enhanced Summon sometimes at the supermarket or it it's raining out (or just want to be obnoxious and freak people out when my car pulls around by itself and they see me get into the driver's seat). No need for FSD and if by chance you get it in a couple of years and have to pay $5000 then instead of the $8000 for it all now, it's only $1000 dollars more. Better off putting that money into Tesla stock. In a couple of years it will be worth more anyway. Trust me...I purchased the stock in 2013 at $50/share and I could buy a fleet of Tesla's now. Go for the EAP today.

I bought FSD from the get-go. I know it's somewhat of a "vaporware" still but I figure I was paying for future improvements. Who knows where the software will be in 3-5 years? I mean you can only improve on it, right? When I come to unload my Y, I am betting on FSD costing well over $10k which will help my resale value over the ones without it! ;)

I bought FSD from the get-go. I know it's somewhat of a "vaporware" still but I figure I was paying for future improvements. Who knows where the software will be in 3-5 years? I mean you can only improve on it, right? When I come to unload my Y, I am betting on FSD costing well over $10k which will help my resale value over the ones without it! ;)

I may be off base but I thought I read that FSD belongs to you and is not transferable upon sale. I could be wrong though....