Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced or FSD?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a chance to do two days of highway driving with an X with FSD... my answer based on this experience ( my normal ride is the M3 with normal autopilot ) is that it depends on:
How much of your diving is city vs highway vs country.
If mostly country roads: Autopilot
If mostly highway: Enhanced
If mostly city: FSD

It also depends on how much the price of FSD goes up.... it has gone up nearly 25% in about a year. How cool is it to know that part of your car is actually appreciating?

After driving the X with FSD on the highway and a little city I was super impressed... I didn't think it would be that much better of and experience over autopilot... but it was. A couple times I got banned from using it because I missed the prompts... I immediately would stop and get out of the car for snack, whiz, or stretch to get it working again.

I live on an island with zero traffic lights so it is hard to justify for me unless the value of FSD really does continue to go up. Also it depends on future Tesla offerings... what will come stock with the $25,000 car they plan on coming out with? Will they offer FSD for daily rental?

Food for thought.

The difference FSD would make on trade-in is more like $1500 if you had paid $7000 more for it.

We went for EAP on both our MY's. Nice to get BOTH cars equipped with what we wanted for the same price as ONE with FSD!!

We have no use for traffic light control and auto steer on city streets, but WOW is the auto lane change cool, haha!! Makes AP and NoAP a breeze. I use AP about 50% more now since I can just leave it engaged while the car changes lanes as I move through traffic. Very cool feature.

And I just learned that I can use summon with my key fob (that's what happens when you read the manual, haha!!). Makes pulling the car out of the garage a breeze. Neat!!

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK and Lounanne
Thoughts?
Should I spend the $4000 for enhanced autopilot or $8000 for FSD.

Let me know what you think.
In the UK there is no difference between enhanced autopilot and what they call FSD. Enhanced Has all the features and does everything FSD does but FSD promises updates and more features In the future so it all depends on whether you believe Elon is Santa Claus or just the tooth fairy.

Reactions: 2chands
I have the full FSD and here is my quick review of the features:
Summon - useless other than a party trick, can't connect to the car half of the time
Autopark - cannot get it work
Navigate on Auto-pilot - I hate it, even with the update it keeps wanting to get behind much slower cars on the right.... it's almost dangerous.
Autosteer and cruise - super useful - use it all the time on the highway
Autosteer on streets/traffic light - useful when you need to make a phone call or find a podcast/song on the Media Screen but not refined enough yet to use all the time.
Auto lane change - surprisingly useful - I find myself using it quite a bit.

• Helpful
Reactions: Nels
You DON'T need to hold the steering wheel for Auto Lane Change to work...I am taking delivery of a new Y this coming Saturday. I have a LR RWD Model 3 from 2018 I purchased new. At that time, I purchased EAP for $5000. Just upgraded to FSD on my Model 3 as it was on "sale" for $3000 and I basically wanted the new hardware upgrade. Don't really care that much about FSD but when and if it ever arrives I know I will get it now. On my Y, I got the FSD as we keep cars for at least 7 years and I think before we get rid of either of them it might have a chance of appearing. If I were not keeping the car that long, and the new cars come with hardware 3, I would opt for the EAP for $4000. I also use Enhanced Summon sometimes at the supermarket or it it's raining out (or just want to be obnoxious and freak people out when my car pulls around by itself and they see me get into the driver's seat). No need for FSD and if by chance you get it in a couple of years and have to pay $5000 then instead of the $8000 for it all now, it's only $1000 dollars more. Better off putting that money into Tesla stock. In a couple of years it will be worth more anyway. Trust me...I purchased the stock in 2013 at $50/share and I could buy a fleet of Tesla's now. Go for the EAP today.
You need to apply force to a wheel or confirm with stalk to complete the lane change on Navigate on Autopilot.

Summon - useless other than a party trick, can't connect to the car half of the time
Navigate on Auto-pilot - I hate it, even with the update it keeps wanting to get behind much slower cars on the right.... it's almost dangerous.
Autosteer on streets/traffic light - useful when you need to make a phone call or find a podcast/song on the Media Screen but not refined enough yet to use all the time.

1) Don't use the automatic lane change option. Just use the recommendation, which you can ignore.

2) Upcoming software change will allow you to be a "left lane hog" and suppress the feature to move into the slow lane. :)

What features are in FSD that EAP doesn’t have? To my understanding, the only difference as of now is FSD has traffic light control

How about Navigate on Autopilot?

EAP has navigate on autopilot.

Here is a screenshot online showing the difference (traffic light and stop sign control, and the currently in alpha autosteer on city streets.. and anything else they release for it)

eap.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
EAP has navigate on autopilot.

Here is a screenshot online showing the difference (traffic light and stop sign control, and the currently in alpha autosteer on city streets.. and anything else they release for it)

View attachment 613470

Note, this screenshot I grabbed from the interwebs, and I believe its before price increase. I have a model 3 and have FSD purchased previously so havent been following this closely. Was just attempting to answer the question of what it includes.

I had a chance to do two days of highway driving with an X with FSD... my answer based on this experience ( my normal ride is the M3 with normal autopilot ) is that it depends on:
How much of your diving is city vs highway vs country.
If mostly country roads: Autopilot
If mostly highway: Enhanced
If mostly city: FSD

It also depends on how much the price of FSD goes up.... it has gone up nearly 25% in about a year. How cool is it to know that part of your car is actually appreciating?

After driving the X with FSD on the highway and a little city I was super impressed... I didn't think it would be that much better of and experience over autopilot... but it was. A couple times I got banned from using it because I missed the prompts... I immediately would stop and get out of the car for snack, whiz, or stretch to get it working again.

I live on an island with zero traffic lights so it is hard to justify for me unless the value of FSD really does continue to go up. Also it depends on future Tesla offerings... what will come stock with the $25,000 car they plan on coming out with? Will they offer FSD for daily rental?

Food for thought.
Bainbridge? Whidbey? Vashon?

I have a 2015 Model S with Hardware 1.0 and I use Autopark all the time. My car only has one camera! Like Steve Jobs said: you are probably holding it wrong. :rolleyes:

In it's current iteration I just don't think FSD is worth it. Really the basic AP is think is more than sufficient, but if you want to play with the extra functions than I think EAP is perfect. Perhaps my perception will change with the rollout of the new FSD rewrite, but FSD is just too gimmicky right now.

For me FSD just doesn't really conform to my driving habits. It makes a lot of lane changes which aren't always successful nor necessary in my opinion. I've also experienced the hard phantom breaking a couple of times which is kinda scary.

If you have the funds I think FSD is a potential good investment, but it really doesn't live up to it's current price point imho. Hopefully the next iteration of FSD will change my mind.

Reactions: 2101Guy
When I bought my Model Y a couple of weeks ago, auto pilot (adaptive cruise control and lane assist) was standard. FSD was the only option at $10k extra. I passed on FSD since the adaptive cruise control and lane assist were the only driver aids I really wanted since my Y is intended to be my road trip EV (my Chevy Bolt and Energica motorcycles are my daily around town drivers).

Even once full, true autonomous FSD arrives, I’ll probably not enable it since I’m sure Tesla will increase the price even more beyond the current $10k. I did read that Tesla will enable a 360 satellite view similar to what’s on my Bolt in the near future but that it will only be available as part of the FSD package. Unfortunately, even that feature isn’t enough to get me to fork over another $10k as much as I would like to have it.

It kind of makes me wonder if Tesla might start doing a la carte feature sales...allowing you to add different FSD features individually.