Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Autopilot vs Highway Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys have a quick question, my son was looking at two cars at a local lot, one model has “enhanced autopilot” and the other other has “highway autopilot”. Are these both the same? I was under the impression that their was only autopilot and enhanced autopilot on the older model s vehicles. Any help would be appreciated.

...Are the enhanced and autopilot the same?...

No. Currently, Autopilot is a standard feature with no additional charge on Tesla new car website. It gives you 2 function:

1) TAAC (smart cruise)
2) AutoSteer within your existing lane

Enhanced Autopilot is an extra charge and is seldom offered except for some occasional promotions. It is almost like FSD except it won't get the "FSD City Streets".

"Highway Autopilot" can be found on the car's screen display for older cars from 2014 to 2016 that have 1 camera.

On the used Tesla car site, 1-camera autopilot is called by Tesla as "Autopilot with convenience features".

Currently, when Tesla calls "Autopilot" that's an 8-camera "Autopilot".

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SO16
If “Highway Autopilot” is referring to the gen 1 autopilot (on cars from 2014-2016), I want to clarify that it doesn’t only work on highways; it works on surface streets as well. And one difference from the standard autopilot offered today is that the gen 1 autopilot offers auto lane changes when Autosteer is engaged where the current standard autopilot would require you to disengage Autosteer to change lanes manually then re-engage in the new lane.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and 2101Guy
* Teslas with Autopilot 1.0 hardware (1 front facing camera) have 1 software option:

Highway Autopilot
  • Steer, Accelerate and Brake automatically within its lane
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Summon

* Teslas with Autopilot 2.0/2.5/3.0 hardware (8 cameras) have 3 software options:

Autopilot
  • Steer, Accelerate and Brake automatically within its lane
Enhanced Autopilot
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Smart Summon
Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Navigate on Autopilot
  • Auto Lane Change
  • Autopark
  • Smart Summon
  • Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control
  • Autosteer on city streets (coming soon)

Last edited:
While I do not disagree with the description of the features of AP1, I do not recall seeing or hearing the term "highway autopilot" and it is not used in the latest version of the Model S user manual I have seen (February 2021). Plus, the original version of autopilot for AP1 cars provides automatic parking (unless it has been removed and I haven't noticed!) and basic summon (straight line in and out of spaces, 39 feet maximum distance).

provides automatic parking (unless it has been removed and I haven't noticed!) and basic summon

You are totally right @David29! Thanks, it has been fixed on my post above.

I do not recall seeing or hearing the term "highway autopilot"

Did a quick eBay search and I found:

A 2016 AP1 Model S with software version 10.2 (2020.48.37.1) which seems to be the latest version for MCU1 and AP1 according to TeslaFi, that has Highway Autopilot:

1618176720072.png

A 2016 AP1 Model S also with software version 10.2 (2020.48.37.1):

1618176390862.png

And a 2016 AP1 Model X with software version 10.2 (2020.40.9.2):

1618175880332.png

From this very small sample, Highway Autopilot doesn't seem to be software version related, but who knows, only Tesla can give us a stright answer...

While I do not disagree with the description of the features of AP1, I do not recall seeing or hearing the term "highway autopilot" and it is not used in the latest version of the Model S user manual I have seen (February 2021). Plus, the original version of autopilot for AP1 cars provides automatic parking (unless it has been removed and I haven't noticed!) and basic summon (straight line in and out of spaces, 39 feet maximum distance).
Pretty sure my car shows Highway Autopilot on the information screen (2015 70D).

It seems Tesla renamed Autopilot 1.0 as Highway Autopilot - see here Tesla Renames Autopilot 1.0 to “Highway Autopilot” | Only Used Tesla

...if the car was produced in October 2016 or later, it’s not AP1, it’s probably the standard basic Autopilot (TACC plus Autosteer)...

Note that all new cars displayed for sales on Tesla website starting 4/11/2019 do get Autopilot included without an additional charge.

So there's a gap from 10/2016 to 4/11/2019 when the Autopilot is an additional charge.

Even when it's not an additional charge starting from 4/11/2019, some people do get $35,000 Model 3 Standard RWD version OFF-MENU (not displayed on the website) and for those people, Autopilot is an extra $3,000 if they wanted.

People still could buy $35,000 Model 3 version last year but I haven't heard that for 2021 year.