Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The model 3 is a LOVELY car but I think EAP is the reason I purchased it. You can use it (at least I do) 90% plus of the time you drive. Do you need to still pay attention? OF COURSE. There is just something about knowing it is an extra help and eases the mind. It is worth EVERY penny. And it will continue to get better over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue in NC
The model 3 is a LOVELY car but I think EAP is the reason I purchased it. You can use it (at least I do) 90% plus of the time you drive. Do you need to still pay attention? OF COURSE. There is just something about knowing it is an extra help and eases the mind. It is worth EVERY penny. And it will continue to get better over time.

I would recommend it if your driving patterns are in its sweet spot. I have a 30 mile highway commute and it goes exit to exit for me, which feels both more relaxing and safer. I have only done one 6+ hour drive in it so far, but I was able to do 80% of that on AP and did not feel fatigued at the end. We have 1200 mile family road trip planned for later this month and I expect I'll use AP for most of that. So the way I look at it it's 10% of the cost but it will be managing probably 70% of my miles. That seems like a good deal to me as it is currently configured. That it will get better over time makes it a better investment.

I highly recommend it to people who have similar driving habits to me.

Reactions: N8Howell33
Do you guys think if Tesla EAP is going to be on sale in the near future? $5500 or $7000 is too high price right now for me.

No, I don't think that this will go on sale. What I will say is that deciding to spend the extra $5,000 when I ordered my M3P was the toughest decision in the purchase process for me. I am so glad that I did. Two days a week I commute 30 miles into NYC in conditions that vary between 65 mph and bumper-to-bumper. EAP handles all of that with no problem and really makes my commute much less stressful than it was before...

If Tesla needs an influx of quick cash at the end of a Quarter I could see a free trial followed by a " x% off if you purchase by end of month" deal but who knows.

I’d be curious what the initial take rate is on EAP. The way I see it - that’s one of the things that makes a Tesla special. Curious how many people forgo it...

Reactions: Electroman
I’d be curious what the initial take rate is on EAP. The way I see it - that’s one of the things that makes a Tesla special. Curious how many people forgo it...
It was not the primary reason I bought a 3 but up near the top for sure. After 4k miles I have no regrets. Works great in stop and go traffic where I spend at least 5 hrs a week in. I just took my first long trip (375 miles one way) and used EAP 85% of the time.

It was about 77% on the S/X.... haven't seen any numbers for the 3, probably a bit lower...but as others have said, I wouldn't have bought the car if it didn't exist.

That’s about what I would’ve guessed ... 75%ish, give or take. So - if they offered EAP to the other 23-25% “on sale”... I doubt that take rate would generate much income at all. Of that 23-25%, those are probably mostly folks who just simply aren’t interested. The rest are folks who couldn’t/wouldn’t pay for it up front, and asking them to drop even $5k in cold hard for a software function will be tough. If they didn’t want to do that when they were financing the vehicle up front .......

Reactions: Electroman
Do you guys think if Tesla EAP is going to be on sale in the near future? $5500 or $7000 is too high price right now for me.

Maybe not in the near future, but I think at some point the price of EAP will drop. With more cars coming standard with adaptive cruise and lane keep assist, I don’t see Tesla able to charge a premium price for EAP, esp when the 35k version is finally released. I personally hope Tesla breaks it out and give owners the option for parts of EAP. The only feature I would really like is the adaptive cruise control.

Maybe not in the near future, but I think at some point the price of EAP will drop. With more cars coming standard with adaptive cruise and lane keep assist, I don’t see Tesla able to charge a premium price for EAP, esp when the 35k version is finally released. I personally hope Tesla breaks it out and give owners the option for parts of EAP. The only feature I would really like is the adaptive cruise control.

So far most comparisons of the lane assist from other makers has shown them to suck compared to Teslas offerings though... (Caddys is an exception, but also only works in a much more limited set of roads than Teslas).

Until that changes EAP continues to be easy enough to offer at a premium.

Presumably by the time that really changes FSD will actually do something and become the "premium" driver assist feature and the price on that will go up to compensate for needing to lower EAPs.

In France we have very good highways. With propilot i did 900kms out of 1100kms with full lane assist and 100% with adaptive speed.

Cheaper cars work realy well. I do hope EAP will improve a lot this year. I have a M3 performance on order and it looks like we are not having navigate on autopilot any time soon.