Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, similar Autopilot features are available for $2500 for other cars (audi, mercedes, volkswagen), except that those features are not implemented as well as Tesla does: lane assist is not always automatic (chimes or vibrates steering wheel when leaving lane), auto parking requires input from the driver (gas/brake) and you get the summon feature thrown in, which does not exist in other cars.
Well, our Audi has a driver assist package that cost only $1800. It includes automatic lane keeping and the traffic jam assist (which works really well on congested Silicon Valley freeways). I didn't really notice much of a difference when I used Tesla's Autopilot on my Model 3 test drive.

The Audi package also includes a bunch of additional features that Tesla currently doesn't have, such as rear cross traffic warnings (when you back out of a parking spot), traffic sign recognition and collision avoidance. It also has a really great top-down camera view that makes parking a lot easier in many situations.

Overall I don't really see what's so fantastic about Tesla's Autopilot in its current state. What sets it apart is mainly the potential for future improvements. But it remains to be seen what they can really do that others don't.

Also passed on EAP. Might use it a few times a month (weekends) and all of a sudden it becomes a very expensive option. Definite yes at $2k. Maybe a yes at $6k later if they make it more reliable and less murderous.
I kind of also felt that EAP should be $3k and FSD should be $5k from the standpoint of how much functionality we are getting. But from the Tesla's point of view, they have hardware investments upfront and likely from the software standpoint as well - all those neural nets, AI, staff - they need to invest upfront and recover the costs, so that's probably why we see such unfair pricing.

Thanks all, I feel enlightened and a bit confused.

If ACC (or TACC) is part of EAP, then what is included in the core AP available on the "base", wink-wink, $49000 Model 3? I know it's not base, but it is the starting price point in April 2018. The original responder, the one who confused me with "AAC", said that the core AP is ACC without Autosteer. Was he wrong?

I would say that AP without ACC/TACC is nothing more than last century cruise control and should not be called Autopilot.

If extra $5K (EAP) pays for the four features Tesla lists and TACC, I think it's worth it.

If TACC is included in core AP, then $5K for EAP is harder to justify, but many of you made a decent case.

Good thread. Excellent summaries of the current state of EAP. It's definately a luxury item. The longer, more highway-oriented your communte, the more value you will get. Short commutes involving mostly side rides = little EAP value right now.

* Auto lane changing
* Autosteer
* Automatic parking
* Summon

With EAP
* Auto lane changing - It's OK right now. A bit slow, so I will often disengage AP2/EAP to change lanes quicker when needed. In light highway traffic, it is more useful IMO. Regular OTA updates have helped to make refinements. Looking forward to additional improvement with this feature. I think this feature works only slightly better on AP1 cars.
* Autosteer - Essential component of EAP.
* Automatic parking - Tried it once. Too slow. Pointless unless you struggle at parking
* Summon - I used to use it to back the car out of my garage and I still regularly use it to move to a shady parking spot while inside my office. Right now though, I feel it's pretty gimmicky and too slow.

If you do a lot of highway driving, either long distances or stuck in traffic, Autosteer + Adaptive Cruise Control (the core of "Autopilot") is absolutely worth it.

Exactly. Otherwise the value just isn't there.

AP (AP1) used to cost only $2.5K.

AP2 does things better than AP1. Although AP1 still performs better in other areas. The two are very close overall. As it is today, AP2 is really worth no more than $2,500. You're paying double that amount for what it hopfully will be someday.

I find Autosteer to be really nerve-wracking since the car does things that I wouldn't do when it's driving.

EAP does some pretty stupid things sometimes. That's why it is only a driver-assist system. Many Tesla owners learn to be more careful after experiencing some of the no-so-perfect behavior of AP. You'll get used to its capabilities and shortcomings. Right now AP2 is decent, but nowhere near the realm of "NY-to-LA".

Last edited:
Also, what is AP1 and AP2? My guess: AP1 is the initial implementation of core AP. AP2 is the current implementation.

Also, I tried googling "Tesla autopilot" and concluded that most writers only think of EAP when thinking/writing of "Tesla Autopilot". Such as in the article by Business Insider: "Autopilot can be purchased for $5K".

Wikipedia opens with: "Tesla Autopilot, later marketed as Enhanced Autopilot after a second hardware version started to be shipped, is..."

I am trying to think what made me believe that there are two levels of AP: one available as part of the $50000 configuration, and one purchased for an extra $5K.

Thanks all, I feel enlightened and a bit confused.

If ACC (or TACC) is part of EAP, then what is included in the core AP available on the "base", wink-wink, $49000 Model 3? I know it's not base, but it is the starting price point in April 2018. The original responder, the one who confused me with "AAC", said that the core AP is ACC without Autosteer. Was he wrong?

I would say that AP without ACC/TACC is nothing more than last century cruise control and should not be called Autopilot.

If extra $5K (EAP) pays for the four features Tesla lists and TACC, I think it's worth it.

If TACC is included in core AP, then $5K for EAP is harder to justify, but many of you made a decent case.

Also, what is AP1 and AP2? My guess: AP1 is the initial implementation of core AP. AP2 is the current implementation.

Also, I tried googling "Tesla autopilot" and concluded that most writers only think of EAP when thinking/writing of "Tesla Autopilot". Such as in the article by Business Insider: "Autopilot can be purchased for $5K".

Wikipedia opens with: "Tesla Autopilot, later marketed as Enhanced Autopilot after a second hardware version started to be shipped, is..."

I am trying to think what made me believe that there are two levels of AP: one available as part of the $50000 configuration, and one purchased for an extra $5K.

AP1 is the first version of Autopilot, simply dubbed "Autopilot". It was available on September 2014 through October 2016 vehicles.

AP2 is Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), the hardware for which has been on all Tesla vehicles since October 2016.

Both versions of Autopilot were software-enabled options for the cars; the Model 3 is only available with the AP2 hardware suite.

The core of Autopilot is TACC and Autosteer. I apologize if that was poorly worded/formatted before. If you want either option you have to pay for the full EAP option.

There are two autonomy purchase options for the Model 3. There's the $5000 EAP option and the $3000 Full-Self Driving Capability (FSD) option. EAP enables everything discussed in this thread, FSD presently does nothing.

AP1 is the first version of Autopilot, simply dubbed "Autopilot". It was available on September 2014 through October 2016 vehicles.

AP2 is Enhanced Autopilot (EAP), the hardware for which has been on all Tesla vehicles since October 2016.

Both versions of Autopilot were software-enabled options for the cars; the Model 3 is only available with the AP2 hardware suite.

The core of Autopilot is TACC and Autosteer. I apologize if that was poorly worded/formatted before. If you want either option you have to pay for the full EAP option.

There are two autonomy purchase options for the Model 3. There's the $5000 EAP option and the $3000 Full-Self Driving Capability (FSD) option. EAP enables everything discussed in this thread, FSD presently does nothing.
Thank you, I get it now. I confused myself as much as anyone else did. I told myself that Tesla 3 comes with Autopilot, and for $5K this autopilot can be Enhanced. Come to think of it, I am not the only one to blame. I am Looking at you, Tesla.

40% is only for average drivers. But every driver here is above average, so it is more murderous. Say it ain't so and you are below the average.

I was in a class for those looking to get their traffic tickets off their record.

When asked to rate their skill as a driver, nearly 80% of the class rated themselves a 7. Only one person (out of about 200 in the class) rated themself below average.

• Funny
Reactions: DR61
I have some doubts about this. NHTSA refuses to publish the data that this is based on, so it's impossible to independently verify exactly how they arrived at this conclusion. Some people believe that the reduction of crashes is primarily due to the Automatic Emergency Braking feature, which was introduced together with Autopilot (note that the NHTSA said that the crashes were reduced when Autopilot is "installed", not when it's enabled). But many other car brands offer AEB too and it is credited for reducing collisions by 50% there. On the Tesla, you get AEB even if you don't buy the expensive Autopilot package.
Automatic Emergency Braking only reduces accidents by 12%.

AP1 was using the Mobileye technology. It's gone from Tesla's later model cars. Tesla added more cameras and sensors (wasn't a Tesla owner before AP2) so correct me if I'm wrong please. We bought our car with EAP and the TACC is great. As mentioned TACC is only part of the AutoPilot suite of assisted controls. TACC has been very reliable. Lets you set speed and maintain distance with car in front in traffic (read moving traffic). Husband loves it for driving during rush hour especially. For us it has been worth the money just for that. AutoPilot is beta and being updated OTA as time goes on. You don't have to buy EAP initially and can add later at an upgrade cost--think right now $1K more if added later.

I think what people have asked and I don't know this myself only having EAP but if you don't order your car with EAP, do you only get the cruise control speed setting only? ie without car spacing? To us the car spacing is a huge plus.

BTW we have a MS (waiting for a Model 3 in addition) but I do know that they are still working on the software for Model 3 so you will see probably frequent updates as more is refined and added. I'll be ordering the Model 3 with EAP. Don't see the need to add FSD now.

Last edited:
Well, our Audi has a driver assist package that cost only $1800. It includes automatic lane keeping and the traffic jam assist (which works really well on congested Silicon Valley freeways). I didn't really notice much of a difference when I used Tesla's Autopilot on my Model 3 test drive.

The Audi package also includes a bunch of additional features that Tesla currently doesn't have, such as rear cross traffic warnings (when you back out of a parking spot), traffic sign recognition and collision avoidance. It also has a really great top-down camera view that makes parking a lot easier in many situations.

Overall I don't really see what's so fantastic about Tesla's Autopilot in its current state. What sets it apart is mainly the potential for future improvements. But it remains to be seen what they can really do that others don't.
Audi's Traffic Light Information system seems pretty cool.

Now your Audi can read Washington, DC’s traffic lights

But paying $400/year for it is kind of bootsy. Less so if Audi decreases the cost, more if they increase it. After 8 years, the total cost is the same as EAP, I think you have to buy the $45k S4 to get it, and I'm not clear on whether they'll provide OTA updates like Tesla does.

Audi Connect Prime Subscription Worth It? • r/Audi

I'm pretty sure EAP has collision avoidance in spades, but it doesn't have the top down camera. With the said, the ultrasonic sensors/display seem to be really accurate.

For me it was a matter of getting it because even if I do not use it, I'd rather have it than not have it. Basically, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. EAP can at least be used right now whereas full self-driving is likely to be delayed at least another few years or more. That is one feature I did not feel was worth paying for now since it is not ready for prime time.

If you are fatigued often while driving, this is a feature that you want. If you have long commutes, you’ll love this feature. If you hate traffic, this feature will make you love your car. Is it worth it? If you can afford it, definitly. If $5k is too steep your you, then you’ll have to put up with the fatigue, stress, etc.

My wife has a Buick SUV with a safety package that cost about the same as on your Audi. It also has things that Autopilot is missing that I wish Tesla would integrate. The 360 degree camera that displays on the dash is excellent for ensuring no kids or dogs are near the car, the rear cross traffic warning is excellent when backing out of the driveway or a parking spot, and the lane keep assist is helpful but admittedly rudimentary in it’s lane keeping ability. If Buick can have those first two features Tesla surely can with all its camera and sensors but they are more focused on self driving and assuming you won't ever need those things. I don't think they will ever add them because they assume you won't need them with FSD.

Last edited: