Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced autopilot - worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added EAP, but only because I wanted TACC. I hate so much that I had to spend an extra $5K for something many other car companies offer as standard, including our other car that cost half of the Model 3. I find Autosteer to be really nerve-wracking since the car does things that I wouldn't do when it's driving.

Would never spend that much for something that is more or less useless to me.

My use case for the Model 3 doesn't require any of the EAP features. Some would be nice to have, like summon when parked in tight spots, but not 5K USD nice.

We have autopark in our 2011 VW Touran and have only used it twice in those seven years. Even though those two times it worked a treat. Still, faster on my own. And seeing that video on page one reaffirms my opinion. A parking spot so large doesn't require autopark. And more importantly, how often do you find so ridiculously large parking spots anyway? So yeah, highly useful. :rolleyes:

IMHO autopilot is worth every penny. I have used on long trips and daily commute with very few problems. If you set your following distance appropriately and pay attention it takes a lot of fatigue out of driving, In addition, it keeps getting better (both AP1 and AP 2).

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
I have it on my X but $5k was a lot to swallow for my 12 mile commute...maybe I will get it in the future (when prices drop).

This was my thought process exactly. Didn't supercharging become free for all Model S owners, even if they didn't purchase it as an option originally?

I'm banking on the fact that, in a few years when this technology is ubiquitous, it'll be standard on the Model 3, and I'll wake up one morning to find it installed from an OTA update :)

I think it costs too much for what it does. Also, I actually like driving.

Some of the features seemed designed for a bigger car like the S (e.g., autopark, summon). I specifically waited for the 3, because I wanted a smaller car.

Also passed on EAP. Might use it a few times a month (weekends) and all of a sudden it becomes a very expensive option. Definite yes at $2k. Maybe a yes at $6k later if they make it more reliable and less murderous.
Autopilot is less murderous. NHTSA has determined there is a 40% reduction in accidents when autopilot is enabled.

Autopilot is less murderous. NHTSA has determined there is a 40% reduction in accidents when autopilot is enabled.

That was part of my thinking. I have a short commute and will not use AP frequently, but I'd consider it a safety feature more than a convenience feature. If it keeps me from drifting out of my lane and hitting someone even once on a long highway trip, it will have paid for itself.

Well, similar Autopilot features are available for $2500 for other cars (audi, mercedes, volkswagen), except that those features are not implemented as well as Tesla does: lane assist is not always automatic (chimes or vibrates steering wheel when leaving lane), auto parking requires input from the driver (gas/brake) and you get the summon feature thrown in, which does not exist in other cars. Also, a thing I didn't know is that autopilot apparently takes weather conditions into account to adjust the speed? Having said that, I hope that Tesla brings the Autopilot price down to about 3000, that would make it a no-brainer.

Reactions: kbM3
This is an easy question. Is it worth it?

Is the Model S, X, or 3 worth it?

The Tesla really isn't a "worth it" car

I see a few folks saying that "I only drive10 miles/day" There's many more cars that are much more worth "only 10 miles/day"

Can you easily get along without a Tesla (let alone EAP), yes. So I guess that means that it's not worth it.

But to some, just showing off to their friends makes it worth it.

I have it on my S. The S is our family's primary car, so I use it on long vacations and day trips. I think its worth every penny because it makes those long drives much more bearable. You have much less driver fatigue by the time you reach your destination. On a daily basis, I do use it on my commutes, especially in stop and go traffic.

Now I will say we are looking at adding a 3, which will primarily be a commuter car, and we will probably forego autopilot on that car.

I have some doubts about this. NHTSA refuses to publish the data that this is based on, so it's impossible to independently verify exactly how they arrived at this conclusion. Some people believe that the reduction of crashes is primarily due to the Automatic Emergency Braking feature, which was introduced together with Autopilot (note that the NHTSA said that the crashes were reduced when Autopilot is "installed", not when it's enabled). But many other car brands offer AEB too and it is credited for reducing collisions by 50% there. On the Tesla, you get AEB even if you don't buy the expensive Autopilot package.

Last edited:
Also, a thing I didn't know is that autopilot apparently takes weather conditions into account to adjust the speed?

It does not.

Aren't the Autopilot safety features are standard on the Model 3? Like, it won't lane keep for me, but it'll still brake if it detects an obstruction, right?

Automatic emergency braking and side collision avoidance are included on all Tesla vehicles, but aren't "Autopilot". Evaluating the safety of Autopilot is looking at how the car handles everyday driving compared to a human driver.

Does anyone know if any insurance companies give you a better rate if you have autopilot? Asking for a "friend"

I know of two in the UK (Direct Line and Root); in the USA Tesla's partnered with Liberty Mutual to offer InsureMyTesla that's discounted for having Autopilot.