Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced safety while changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On page 84 of the owner's manual, two warnings are notable: "Do not rely on steering interventions to avoid side collisions," and "Several factors can affect the performance of lane warnings, resulting in lack of or false warnings."

Actually, my old 2014 Accord, upon hitting the right-turn signal, puts up a large rearward view of the right lane. Old technology, but more direct & reliable than the 2019 Model 3.
Honestly I think you're missing the point.
The purpose of display isn't to mimic old tech - it is to show you what the car is detecting, because that is what it uses to warn you or take emergency action from. The cameras aren't there for you to see, they're there for the safety features even on the base cars.
While current Tesla's don't emphasize Autopilot, future sales will be more and more focussed on it. The whole future of the company will be on self driving, that's why all the tech is in there.
You bought the car of the future - not a horse :D :D

I get very nervous with freeway lane changes. There's the close your eyes and pray
approach, or speed up as you push into what seems like a plausible opening, and pray.
Now with AS and especially NOA I can engage the blinker and wait for the car to find
the right spot and moment. My shirts aren't as sweaty when I get to my destination.
And the reduced wear and tear on my cardio and neuro systems is really noticeable.
This in itself has been worth the cost of the AP.

Honestly I think you're missing the point.
The purpose of display isn't to mimic old tech - it is to show you what the car is detecting, because that is what it uses to warn you or take emergency action from. The cameras aren't there for you to see, they're there for the safety features even on the base cars.
While current Tesla's don't emphasize Autopilot, future sales will be more and more focussed on it. The whole future of the company will be on self driving, that's why all the tech is in there.
You bought the car of the future - not a horse :D :D

I finally saw the truth in what you say. Ran a simple test out on the freeway: What percentage of the time does the bird's-eye view cartoon correctly show a vehicle coming up on the right? The answer was 100%. Cars, SUVs, semis, motorcycles - caught them all!