Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon? Can we just get regular summon to work all the time first!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to just ignore this like everyone else ... don't feed the trolls ... but ...

Why would you use summon in a parking lot? That's just rude, making other drivers wait for you to summon your car out of the parking spot, walk over, get in, buckle up, put it in 'gear,' finish backing out of the spot into the lane. Really?

BTW, "I don't know if anybody else has this problem." no, not really. I've never seen it fail.

• Disagree
Reactions: beachmiles
My summon fails most of the time, always asking to reconnect. I don't know if anybody else has this problem. Imagine you summon your car and than it fails and stops in the middle of the parking lot pissing people off, that would be a horrible situation.
Same. Feels like a house of cards...

upload_2019-9-10_21-8-5.gif

Why would you use summon in a parking lot? That's just rude, making other drivers wait for you to summon your car out of the parking spot, walk over, get in, buckle up, put it in 'gear,' finish backing out of the spot into the lane. Really?
Sometimes, you do everything right: You park a moderate distance from other cars, perfectly centered in the lines, and go about your business. Then you come back and find that people have parked on either side of your car with about 6 cm of space between your car and theirs- barely enough for the wing mirrors. Summon allows egress in these situations.

"Walking over" basically shouldn't happen as in this case I'd be standing before where I'd like the driver's door to be when the car stops.
Getting in and buckling up takes about five seconds.
Starting the car actually takes less times since it happens automagically.

Is this rude?

Sometimes, you do everything right: You park a moderate distance from other cars, perfectly centered in the lines, and go about your business. Then you come back and find that people have parked on either side of your car with about 6 cm of space between your car and theirs- barely enough for the wing mirrors. Summon allows egress in these situations.

"Walking over" basically shouldn't happen as in this case I'd be standing before where I'd like the driver's door to be when the car stops.
Getting in and buckling up takes about five seconds.
Starting the car actually takes less times since it happens automagically.

Is this rude?

Yes, but as I found with the current summon, the Tesla ultrasonic sensors say to the computer "too close to use Summon" and the feature doesn't work in the situation you describe, where it's needed most. I've only tried it a couple of times, so I'm not sure if everyone finds this to be the case. All I know, it pissed me off twice and I haven't tried it since.

Summon and Advanced summon have different rules. Dumb Summon requires that constant phone connection and for you to be close. Advanced won't have the same requirements. Not saying it will work (but seems like it will) but it's a different animal.

Yes, but as I found with the current summon, the Tesla ultrasonic sensors say to the computer "too close to use Summon" and the feature doesn't work in the situation you describe, where it's needed most. I've only tried it a couple of times, so I'm not sure if everyone finds this to be the case. All I know, it pissed me off twice and I haven't tried it since.
Did you set summon to tight to see if that helps?

unfortunately Tesla is nowhere near actually using Autopilot the way it was marketed to us and most likely never will be. :(
Come again? Right now it's marketed as "The car will keep in the lane, and slow down and even stop for traffic ahead of you, but you need to stay attentive and be able to take over at any moment". It does exactly that.

Reactions: jebinc and Phlier
Come again? Right now it's marketed as "The car will keep in the lane, and slow down and even stop for traffic ahead of you, but you need to stay attentive and be able to take over at any moment". It does exactly that.
No, that’s not what they plaster on their website (marketing) but stated in the documentation that is presented after they already reeled you in.

I just went to the Tesla website on my cellphone and it still markets the Model 3 Autopilot as an effectively future Robotaxi (not using this word but in spirit).

Reactions: jebinc
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of issues with Tesla regarding a wide range of subjects, but being deceptive about the car's auto driving functionality is not among them.

IMO, they do a very good job of separating the car's current capabilities with ones that will be available "in the future."

As to summon, my wife uses it nearly every day and never complains about it. I've only used it a handful of times, but it has worked flawlessly every time.

I'm recovering from five spine surgeries over the past four years, so I need to be able to swing the door fully wide to be able to get in/out of the car. I've used it a few times (looking for other cars first, so as to not be an inconvenience) to make it possible to swing the doors without worrying about hitting another car. Works great.

Sorry to hear about others having issues.

FWIW, I have the "continuously hold the button to summon" setting turned off. Don't know if that has an affect on usability or not, but if one setting doesn't work, try the other. Couldn't hurt.

• Helpful
Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of issues with Tesla regarding a wide range of subjects, but being deceptive about the car's auto driving functionality is not among them.

IMO, they do a very good job of separating the car's current capabilities with ones that will be available "in the future."

As to summon, my wife uses it nearly every day and never complains about it. I've only used it a handful of times, but it has worked flawlessly every time.

I'm recovering from five spine surgeries over the past four years, so I need to be able to swing the door fully wide to be able to get in/out of the car. I've used it a few times (looking for other cars first, so as to not be an inconvenience) to make it possible to swing the doors without worrying about hitting another car. Works great.

Sorry to hear about others having issues.

FWIW, I have the "continuously hold the button to summon" setting turned off. Don't know if that has an affect on usability or not, but if one setting doesn't work, try the other. Couldn't hurt.
I have mine turned on. I want to be able to stop it when it looks like it is going to hit or run over something. Don’t trust it enough to drive by itself. No way. In time, perhaps.

Don’t trust it enough to drive by itself. No way. In time, perhaps.
Don't blame ya a bit. I'd do the same thing, honestly, except for the fact that my old iPhone 6s has been dropped so many times that the screen has trouble sensing long holds on the screen. It actually has a hard time recognizing just a regular press, too, actually. So yeah, I'm putting *way* too much faith in the sensors.

But my iPhone XR arrives tomorrow. :)

Don't blame ya a bit. I'd do the same thing, honestly, except for the fact that my old iPhone 6s has been dropped so many times that the screen has trouble sensing long holds on the screen. It actually has a hard time recognizing just a regular press, too, actually. So yeah, I'm putting *way* too much faith in the sensors.

But my iPhone XR arrives tomorrow. :)
Ah yes... I’m using an XS.