Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon? Can we just get regular summon to work all the time first!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have mine turned on. I want to be able to stop it when it looks like it is going to hit or run over something. Don’t trust it enough to drive by itself. No way. In time, perhaps.
In this situation, apply pressure with one of your lower extremities to the wider lever in the driver's side footwell. This will serve the dual function of disengaging Autosteer and TACC, as well as slowing the vehicle to a stop.

E: I am a derp, and fell out of context. My apologies.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Phlier
In this situation, apply pressure with one of your lower extremities to the wider lever in the driver's side footwell. This will serve the dual function of disengaging Autosteer and TACC, as well as slowing the vehicle to a stop.
I loved your post, but just for the few that don't get it...

He's out of the car when using Summon, so yeah. Dang it, it just takes all the fun out of it when someone explains it. Sorry. :(

Reactions: jebinc
Well good for you, but it fails for me all the time, and this isn’t the first thread to mention that either, so it’s not an anomaly.
Yup, with this many reports, it definitely has bugs that need to be fixed.

And people should be encouraged to post about those bugs. The more information they can provide (make and model of phone, operating system, version of the phone app, settings for the phone app, summon settings) the better; that gives us a starting point to help develop and suggest work-arounds until Tesla gets stuff fixed.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of issues with Tesla regarding a wide range of subjects, but being deceptive about the car's auto driving functionality is not among them.

IMO, they do a very good job of separating the car's current capabilities with ones that will be available "in the future.".

I disagree with you 100%. I distinctly remember reading the website last year before I bought my car, and it showed all the things that autopilot “can do”, which included navigating on and off of freeways, as well as summon to wherever you are. Nowhere on that website did it say that was future technology. The presentation and wording made it appear as though that was existing now.

Worse still, after getting my car and spending the first week trying to figure out why my car didn’t seem to ever want to follow the navigation off the freeway (because I was under the impression it should based on the website), I called customer service. Even the customer service rep apparently was confused enough to tell me that “we’re still updating and adding maps, so it’s possible you’re in an area it can’t navigate yet.” I mentioned I was in L.A., so it seemed strange to me that LA wouldn’t be mapped, but he insisted I probably just need to wait a little bit and it would start working once maps updated...

Quite obviously, that customer service rep was 100% wrong and had no idea what he was talking about. If Tesla’s advertising confuses even their own employees as to what features are or aren’t available, then I think it’s hard to say their advertising is clear enough for the general public.

I disagree with you 100%. I distinctly remember reading the website last year before I bought my car, and it showed all the things that autopilot “can do”, which included navigating on and off of freeways, as well as summon to wherever you are. Nowhere on that website did it say that was future technology. The presentation and wording made it appear as though that was existing now.

Even right now it says that summon with the ability to come find you in a parking lot is a current feature, even though it's not.

Worse still, after getting my car and spending the first week trying to figure out why my car didn’t seem to ever want to follow the navigation off the freeway (because I was under the impression it should based on the website), I called customer service. Even the customer service rep apparently was confused enough to tell me that “we’re still updating and adding maps, so it’s possible you’re in an area it can’t navigate yet.” I mentioned I was in L.A., so it seemed strange to me that LA wouldn’t be mapped, but he insisted I probably just need to wait a little bit and it would start working once maps updated...

Quite obviously, that customer service rep was 100% wrong and had no idea what he was talking about. If Tesla’s advertising confuses even their own employees as to what features are or aren’t available, then I think it’s hard to say their advertising is clear enough for the general public.
Point very well made. I can definitely understand the confusion. My situation is a bit different, I think, than the average new Tesla buyer; I was aware of what the car could and couldn't do, due to all the time I'd spent reading about it. So when I saw the actual pages Tesla presented during the new car ordering process, I didn't think them to be misleading at all.

But yes, I certainly do understand where you (and likely a lot of people) are coming from... Even if you are a Vikings fan. I kid! I kid! :D

Reactions: vikefan
... My situation is a bit different, I think, than the average new Tesla buyer; I was aware of what the car could and couldn't do, due to all the time I'd spent reading about it. So when I saw the actual pages Tesla presented during the new car ordering process, I didn't think them to be misleading at all...

Wouldn't a well informed person like you look at the claim Tesla makes on its order page, such as claiming that Summon currently finds you anywhere in a parking lot, and conclude that Tesla is fibbing regarding its FSD capabilities? How could you conclude that they are not misleading?

Last edited:
Wouldn't a well informed person like you look at the claim Tesla makes on its order page, such as claiming that Summon currently finds you anywhere in a parking lot, and conclude that Tesla is fibbing regarding its FSD capabilities? How could you conclude that they are not misleading?
Wow, why are you being so adversarial about this?

I haven't looked at those pages for two months. Back then, I recall that Summon was listed as "coming soon."

Edit: I just checked way back machine, and I am indeed wrong. Summon has been listed as a current feature as far back as March! And yes, that is very misleading.

My memory ain't what it used to be.

Last edited:
I bought my MX several months ago. Summon has NEVER worked properly. Doesn’t stop in reverse, and auto park from screen damn near hit my garage side this week. Tesla says it’s a firmware problem and thanks for the report. They’ll let me know when it’s fixed, they said—two months ago. $110,000 for a car with features that just will not work. 2019 MX.

Reactions: tkc9789 and jebinc
Sometimes, you do everything right: You park a moderate distance from other cars, perfectly centered in the lines, and go about your business. Then you come back and find that people have parked on either side of your car with about 6 cm of space between your car and theirs- barely enough for the wing mirrors. Summon allows egress in these situations.
I really needed this twice in my 9 month of ownership and both times the car failed 100% of retries complaining that Bluetooth connection is interrupted. Both times the car was in a public garage. I succeeded once in the beginning moving the car forward at a ski resort to free up space to put skis in while I was still in ski boots. My skiing buddies were impressed.
So, all in all the summon was 100% useless for me when I really needed it.

I really needed this twice in my 9 month of ownership and both times the car failed 100% of retries complaining that Bluetooth connection is interrupted. Both times the car was in a public garage. I succeeded once in the beginning moving the car forward at a ski resort to free up space to put skis in while I was still in ski boots. My skiing buddies were impressed.
So, all in all the summon was 100% useless for me when I really needed it.
Yep, same here and as I reported previously.

Is the Summon feature really a big deal to a lot of folks or just something cool to play with? It just seems a whole lot easier to just walk to the darn car, get it and drive away than to sit outside the restaurant and say, everyone wait here, I am going to Summon the car to us. Now the wife and kids become impatient and start complaining as Dad fiddles with the app on the phone and prays the car makes it 200 feet to the to the front of the restaurant. :D

Cool party trick but not very practical for everyday use. Now, if the car can go pick up my take out order while I stay home and watch the football game, oh wait, we have already have Uber Eats, Delivery Dudes, Grub Hub, Door Dash, Swiggy, Deliveroo, Delivery.com, Zomato, etc. for that.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of issues with Tesla regarding a wide range of subjects, but being deceptive about the car's auto driving functionality is not among them.

IMO, they do a very good job of separating the car's current capabilities with ones that will be available "in the future."

As to summon, my wife uses it nearly every day and never complains about it. I've only used it a handful of times, but it has worked flawlessly every time.

I'm recovering from five spine surgeries over the past four years, so I need to be able to swing the door fully wide to be able to get in/out of the car. I've used it a few times (looking for other cars first, so as to not be an inconvenience) to make it possible to swing the doors without worrying about hitting another car. Works great.

Sorry to hear about others having issues.

FWIW, I have the "continuously hold the button to summon" setting turned off. Don't know if that has an affect on usability or not, but if one setting doesn't work, try the other. Couldn't hurt.
Great if it works for you but man mines fails daily especially when i show it off.