Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, Fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Standing on my porch, can see my Tesla in the street, worker's van sitting in my driveway. Cool, I'll test out this new enhanced summon! Jarvis starts to backup and... BAM! A second worker's truck was behind the van that I couldn't see.

I get it - it's my fault for using summon when I can't see (and I'm sure I'll get a dose of self-righteous, superior replies) -- but summon managed to back up into a pickup truck? The truck was maybe a little higher than normal, and it was a trailer hitch it ran into -- but, damn, I thought my baby was smarter than that.

Model S, AP 2.5, V10, and a trailer hitch sized divot in my rear bumper.

It doesn't sound like Smart Summon is using cameras nor radar in your case either!
Uhm...
Jarvis starts to backup and... BAM!
There is no rear-facing radar... as for cameras, they are used... u/green showed the logs that categorizes the detected objects into pedestrians, etc.
Ultrasonic sensors are not enough to be able to categorize objects like that.

,,,as for cameras, they are used... u/green showed the logs that categorizes the detected objects into pedestrians, etc.

It's true that front cameras are used to explain interactions with pedestrians.

But to explain this case, maybe the rear camera is not currently used by the system.

Another explanation could be that Simple Summon could be used to pull out of a parking spot.

That means while it pulls out of a parking spot, there's no camera used just like before as if it's still a Simple Summon.

It would be nice if Tesla explains how things work so we don't make a mistake of overestimating that its derrière is covered but what if its rear cameras are not currently used.