Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon latest video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what happens if you’re using this and someone backs out of a space and hits your car? Does it stop and alert you? Or does it just keep driving?

Honestly, while technically cool, it's kind of a douche feature. Waiting at the curb for your self driving car to, slowly, come get you while potentially annoying other drivers and pedestrians, just seems douchey.

Nothing new here, yet. This is the same as it's behaved the last few months, and still ignorant of environment -- specifically: driving across parking spaces, ignoring arrows for flow of traffic, things that would get you in immediate trouble if the parking lot were anything other than entirely empty. So otherwise, useless, unfortunately.

Well you see, they will continue to improve the system. It’s kind of like having a baby. It can’t walk but then it can. Then it’s not a baby anymore, it’s a toddler. I know it is a hard concept but some things improve over time. The actual question is. After they get a Tesla to stop at stop signs and stop lights, is it 6 months, 6 years, or 6 decades till it can do a roundabout.

Keep in mind this is a specific features test and NOT Enhanced Summon complete. In all likelihood Tesla doesn't look at lines or lanes on purpose so it can test lots of edge cases and odd situations. Following lines and lanes would be too "neat" and yield less usable learning data for the amount of beta testing done.

We know Tesla has billions of miles of seeing lanes and lines so NO need to test that.

So in effect the video is mislabeled. It is NOT Enhanced Summon but a subset test of some of the features with many not included. It is probably not even close to what Enhanced Summon is actually doing with the full feature set running.

Last edited:
We know Tesla has billions of miles of seeing lanes and lines so NO need to test that.

Huh, I disagree, phantom braking on the highway for cars in completely different lanes is still a BIG issue for many of us yet it's got worse not better in the 14 months I've had my car. Yes summon is cool and great for FSD but I really wish good old AP that many of us rely on daily would get some love.

Huh, I disagree, phantom braking on the highway for cars in completely different lanes is still a BIG issue for many of us yet it's got worse not better in the 14 months I've had my car. Yes summon is cool and great for FSD but I really wish good old AP that many of us rely on daily would get some love.

Disagree with what?????Where did I say ANYTHING about phantom braking???? I said it can SEE lanes and lines. Phantom braking is other problems and NOT about the ability to identify lines on the road. The cars can clearly see and follow lines on the road going 80MPH. So it can obviously see lines in a parking lot once turned on.

What @JulienW said. In my experience phantom braking has nothing to do with the car’s ability to read lane markings. I personally can’t wait for enhanced summon to be released so I can give this a shot. While practical use cases for me are fairly limited (probably only in inclement weather) it looks very cool. And as the video suggested this could have significant value to those with mobility issues.

Reactions: M109Rider

It’s a work in progress.
Why do some owners only see perfect, or nothing ?
That’s not how new products and new software rolls out.

So what happens if you’re using this and someone backs out of a space and hits your car? Does it stop and alert you? Or does it just keep driving?

Honestly, while technically cool, it's kind of a douche feature. Waiting at the curb for your self driving car to, slowly, come get you while potentially annoying other drivers and pedestrians, just seems douchey.
I’ll be the “douche” then, since I’ll use it when I take my 90 yr old wheelchair-bound mom to and from the hospital. The disabled parking is a surprising distance from the hospital entrance and it’s very windy being up on an exposed hill. With bad winter weather, this could be a huge help in getting my mom back into the car in a reasonable way.

First time watching a video like this, even have ignored Summons on my car. Of course as a driver watching this you think of going over the parking lot space lines, not stopping for the stop sign, driving on the wrong side of the roadway, not backing into a space in between the lines and even initially on Test 1 pulling out of a space on an angle and not straight. I suppose if a car was next to it it might take a different approach.

All that said what they have accomplished so far is quite remarkable in my mind. As humans who know how to drive it's just automatic how you would pull your car out and drive to a spot to pick someone up, but we do use a lot of knowledge gathered along the way and practice driving to reach that point. This video made me think back to when I first got into a car during drivers ed and had to drive straight on the road. I was pretty slow going forward and once going was very conscious of always correcting to stay in my lane. Back then a lot of cars including ours had hood ornaments and I would use that as a way to judge how to stay in the lane. Eventually I wouldn't be so focused on the roadway immediately in front of me but keeping my eyes focused off a bit down the road where I wanted to go and the car would follow that path and the mind would know when and how much to turn the wheel to go around a curve. Given that the AI is having to see everything, plot a path and make judgment calls based on previous learning it has done, it's all very interesting technology to me and why I said I think even getting to this point is pretty remarkable.

While I didn't spend much time at the end of the video looking at the app view, I thought it seemed like it had some nice features. The future is coming, likely slower than some might want but I think this was still an impressive test given the state it's at. Never thought this would be easy or fast. Kind of fun to think it will be in my car some day, just not tomorrow yet.

Reactions: GSP and tezzla
It will be an inconvenient, gimmicky feature for a while (years), but I predict eventually it will be quite good. These things just take a long time to mature. Lots of training to do. In the meantime, I’ll keep my $6k thank you.

If FSD is too expensive after all the features roll out in a usable fashion, then I just won’t get it. I don’t hate driving THAT much, and I’m not going to be suckered into buying something that’s not available yet with Tesla’s slimy FOMO tactic. Not gonna happen.