Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon makes FSD seem light years away

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm normally "all in" when it comes to Tesla, new features and the promise of FSD.

However - I've tried enhanced summon a few times now - in areas with no traffic and no unusual obstacles. I'm sorry to say it has been an epic failure each time - not once did the car make it close to the target....each time I had to get in and drive it to safety. Had I not aborted, the car would have hit the garage wall at home, and adjacent cars in a parking lot.

So my point here is - if the thing can't drive 100 feet on it's own - how is it ever going to safely drive on real roads?

I'm looking forward to being proven wrong.
When testing, did you try on a properly marked road or a parking lot and neifneighbor streets?
It's really two different environments.

So far I’ve had very mixed results with smart summon.

My first attempt, at night in a busy parking lot with cars and people, it performed really well.

However, testing today, it has been nothing short of an epic failure. I wonder if GPS precision has anything to do with it? It showed me a good path on the map, but then proceeded to miss it by 50ft, turning into a parking spot instead of the wide open traffic lane. Also had many, many random stops with no obstacles in front of it at all.

Also did terrible in an under building garage with columns; basically tried to drive at every one. I do wish you could draw a path for it; I think that would help a lot, especially where it doesn’t know much about the environment it is trying to navigate. Regularly the path it suggests is impossible (through cars, buildings, curbs, medians, etc).

I've used enhanced summon about 10 times since Friday, each time in a private parking lot and it has worked perfectly 9 out of the 10 times. The only "failure" was when I told the car to go to the other side of a parking lot, which was divided by a tree-line entry road. The car activated, sat idle for a moment, and then reported that it couldn't find a clear path to the destination. Hardly a failure since it elected not to move. So far, I'm very impressed with enhanced summon.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
When testing, did you try on a properly marked road or a parking lot and neifneighbor streets?
It's really two different environments.
The first test was to back out of my garage, down the short driveway, and park alongside the sidewalk. Instead of going straight back, it turned and nearly backed into the garage wall. The second time was in a parking lot.... it needed to back out of the spot, go 15 feet and go right. It started to turn directly out of the parking spot instead of pulling out first - which would have taken out the parked car next to it if I had not stopped it. The last attempt, all it needed to do was pull forward out of a parking spot in a gated community, bear slight right and come to a stop 20 feet away where I was waiting. Pulling out of the spot, it made a crazy series of turns, stopped, resumed, and would have hit a garage if I had let it continue.

For people interested in testing Enhanced Summon, I'd suggest looking at how car magazines test systems like it, they use large cardboard boxes, e.g. refrigerators, etc or just sheets of cardboard. Much easier on everyone if the car hits it. If you need to do it moving, perhaps pulling it with a string, or pushing with a long stick would work.

It would not be good if cars and/or people were hit in such experiments.

Reactions: cwerdna
The first test was to back out of my garage, down the short driveway, and park alongside the sidewalk. Instead of going straight back, it turned and nearly backed into the garage wall. The second time was in a parking lot.... it needed to back out of the spot, go 15 feet and go right. It started to turn directly out of the parking spot instead of pulling out first - which would have taken out the parked car next to it if I had not stopped it. The last attempt, all it needed to do was pull forward out of a parking spot in a gated community, bear slight right and come to a stop 20 feet away where I was waiting. Pulling out of the spot, it made a crazy series of turns, stopped, resumed, and would have hit a garage if I had let it continue.

Stupid question - but are your cameras around the car clean?

The only time it failed was when someone was standing right behind my car and I didnt know it

This is why I think Tesla's "user is always responsible" approach is going to backfire. They let folks stand 200 feet away, but someone could be bent over tying their shoe behind your empty (safe to them) car and you wouldn't see them. Maybe the car will always spot the adult, but do we know it can see toddlers or pets without fail?

Or even something as simple as a shopping cart partially blocking the rear quarter as the person next to your car unloads their groceries? I am not so sure that wouldn't be in a blind spot the car can't see.

The reality is, folks aren't going to check all angles of the car before summoning it (case in point above). We will see if Tesla's programming is rock solid enough to account for that.

Reactions: croman
So it sounds like you need to be able to watch and manually stop and go. I may need to address how i thought this was suppose to work. Though you'd be able to park on the other side of the parking lot and have it navigate through the other cars backing out, intersections etc on it's own. This may not be what we have now. Got V10 yesterday but the "Whats in this update" screen is blank.

I spent some time today testing with large refrigerator sized empty boxes in my work parking lot. I will say that not every attempt was a success.. It never hit one of the boxes but it did some funny things like turning toward a box and barely missing it when there was a clear path forward.
Also I found that you really need to look at the path its going to take and adjust the target. I found that if you adjust the target to go past where you are works best. Make sure the path makes sense also before holding down the button.

I have noticed that when you do this in an empty parking lot it actually doesnt work as well then when you have cars around or obstacles.

It would much rather back out then pull forward so keep that in mind. It was able to see a small box (24"x12"12) in front of it and in the blind spots, so I was pleasantly surprised by this.

I am hoping this gets better and I think it will as they will get a ton of data in the coming weeks to improve this more.

• Helpful
Reactions: jebinc
So far I’ve had very mixed results with smart summon.

My first attempt, at night in a busy parking lot with cars and people, it performed really well.

However, testing today, it has been nothing short of an epic failure. I wonder if GPS precision has anything to do with it? It showed me a good path on the map, but then proceeded to miss it by 50ft, turning into a parking spot instead of the wide open traffic lane. Also had many, many random stops with no obstacles in front of it at all.

Also did terrible in an under building garage with columns; basically tried to drive at every one. I do wish you could draw a path for it; I think that would help a lot, especially where it doesn’t know much about the environment it is trying to navigate. Regularly the path it suggests is impossible (through cars, buildings, curbs, medians, etc).

Did some more testing today in a medium busy mall parking lot. Car did very, very well. Still some quirks (and behavior that is sure to anger other drivers), but overall am very impressed.

Tried both the “Come to me” and the targeted Summon at a big wide open parking lot at the grocery store. I kept getting a “summon stopping” error message and my car’s lights blinked but it never moved. Our parking space and the store front were both far away from any public roads.

I was so hoping to report that my car drove itself to the front door of the store while we waited in the cool a/c during 100 degree temperatures on the hot asphalt. It was a slow day at the store so no pedestrians or other cars to be at risk.o_O

Mine has worked great so far! The only time it failed was when someone was standing right behind my car and I didnt know it. It said "Summon Not available" I havent had a chance to bring anyone with to film the attempts. One thing I noticed is if the parking slots are not slanted enough and wide it will go down the wrong way sometimes, but hey so do I. :cool:

How could you not know there was someone standing behind the car? Were you failing to look?

This is the problem with Tesla's approach to releasing SS, but saying the user must remain in control of the car at all times.