Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon promises an update "in coming weeks" that will make Smart Summon "smooth as silk":
"Several finesse improvements coming to Smart Summon in coming weeks. Will be smooth as silk."
Elon Musk on Twitter

I look forward to this update. Hopefully, Tesla has collected a ton of data from Smart Summon now. Smart Summon definitely needs some improvements.

I guess you have no idea how funny this message is.

Ignorance truly is a bliss — and I mean that in a nice way.

Elon promises an update "in coming weeks" that will make Smart Summon "smooth as silk":
"Several finesse improvements coming to Smart Summon in coming weeks. Will be smooth as silk."
Elon Musk on Twitter

Translation: I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

Actually I think he says these things as a way of bullying his engineers. Make ridiculous promises to put pressure on them to deliver.

Elon Musk on Twitter

I look forward to this update. Hopefully, Tesla has collected a ton of data from Smart Summon now. Smart Summon definitely needs some improvements.
Translation: I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!

Actually I think he says these things as a way of bullying his engineers. Make ridiculous promises to put pressure on them to deliver.

My neural net trained on a wide selection of Elon tweets came up with this end-to-end solution. What do you think?

Translation: ”Please buy FSD before my demand lever deadline of November 1st. During Q4 is ok too.”

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I'll just wait for all the "Hey Y'all, watch this" crowd to use it enough to send data back to Tesla to actually get it in reasonable working order.

As is the feature is not worth using, other than showing off, when a reasonably in shape person can walk to their car in 1/3 of the time Smart Summon would reach you.

It was fun to use once......

https://www.popsci.com/waymo-self-driving-cars-parking-lots/
I wasn't able to find any parking lot videos for Waymo, but it appears Google is working on it. Though they still appear to have to map the parking lot before the vehicle will drive on it.

You make it sound like mapping is a bad thing. I am not so sure. I get that premapping can feel a bit like cheating. ideally, it would be better if the system could handle any parking lot without requiring premapping first. But on the other hand, HD maps do allow for greater safety and reliability which is a good thing. Now, I certainly hope that Smart Summon improves in the future, but if Tesla had used HD maps, they could have released a far better Smart Summon sooner IMHO.

You make it sound like mapping is a bad thing. I am not so sure. I get that premapping can feel a bit like cheating. ideally, it would be better if the system could handle any parking lot without requiring premapping first. But on the other hand, HD maps do allow for greater safety and reliability which is a good thing. Now, I certainly hope that Smart Summon improves in the future, but if Tesla had used HD maps, they could have released a far better Smart Summon sooner IMHO.

If someone sets up as much as a traffic cone or something, the whole mapping is useless. Temporary roadwork - useless.
Tesla maps "on the fly" with SfM which should be enough if you have the correct heuristics coded in.

But till now it seems rather basic. The first signs of more intelligent attempts to handle the situations, is the car being in the left part of the lane if it's passing a trailer. Small things like that. But the logics are not good enough even there. Because if the lanes are tight it can be so far to the left that cars in the lane left of that is too tight with you hugging the left side of your lane.

All that stuff has to be accounted for with "classical" code, not deep learning on decision / behavior level stuff.

If someone sets up as much as a traffic cone or something, the whole mapping is useless. Temporary roadwork - useless.
Tesla maps "on the fly" with SfM which should be enough if you have the correct heuristics coded in.

I don't think it is useless. If it were, every company except Tesla that is working on this problem, would not be using this method and showing better results than Tesla (so far). It would be useless if you tried to do parking lot driving with just HD maps but that is not how it works. HD maps provide a back up to other sensors as well as other useful information that the other sensors can't give you. The car still uses cameras, LIDAR etc to detect objects like that odd traffic cone that is not on the map etc...

If I am wrong, folks more knowledgeable than me can correct me.

I don't think it is useless. If it were, every company except Tesla that is working on this problem, would not be using this method and showing better results than Tesla (so far). It would be useless if you tried to do parking lot driving with just HD maps but that is not how it works. HD maps provide a back up to other sensors as well as other useful information that the other sensors can't give you. The car still uses cameras, LIDAR etc to detect objects like that odd traffic cone that is not on the map etc...

If I am wrong, folks more knowledgeable than me can correct me.

If the sensors (that are claimed to be enough) can't provide enough information, then the project has failed! :)
Musk said himself is that they are not gonna rely on GPS at all, it's going to be all visual :)

Used ES at a quiet airport and it worked great. Used it in my office parking lot and it disconnected and blocked traffic. Like taking your dog for a walk. Sometimes they poop......and sometimes they are just pooped out!

Yeah I think enhanced summon has a constant stream of data in realtime from your phone so if there's a hiccup in any point of the communication such as your carrier etc then it will be interrupted

If the sensors (that are claimed to be enough) can't provide enough information, then the project has failed! :)
Musk said himself is that they are not gonna rely on GPS at all, it's going to be all visual :)

Yes, I know the goal is all visual. And I believe Tesla will get there. It's just the journey getting there that seems a bit rough at times.

Reactions: emmz0r
Yes, I know the goal is all visual. And I believe Tesla will get there. It's just the journey getting there that seems a bit rough at times.

Yeah I agree! My biggest worry is if they will get speed sign recognition soon or not.

Also there should be some local learning and memory on your daily route. It's much easier to drive on a road you are familiar with and knowing how the local traffic behaves. When to change lanes and when to stop to anticipate others actions etc

my first few attempts were flawless. Today it drive down the wrong site ot the parking lot head on into another vehicle. It just stopped on the wrong side and flashed its lights calling for help.... LOL

Last night I used it and It eventually got to me but instead of driving down the lanes it took the most difficult route available weaving in and out of parked cars through the parking lanes. I almost shat my pants