Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car mysteriously/randomly show images while backing up. Now with enhanced summon if car don't see the current image, it will run down a pedestrian or back itself in the wall. Tesla say that I should always reboot before backing up or using enhanced summon. This feature is more inconvenience than enhancement.

There is no "let" about it. I "let" go of the button on the phone and it just kept going. Buyer beware.
Summon in its current state will find a cow to hit in the parking lot even if there isn't one.

ur7ip.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: arghx7 and arcus
There have been a few reports of Smart Summon not stopping after releasing the button on iOS. It happens when a low battery notification comes up. Opening the door is a good way to stop the car if it won’t stop summoning.

yeah, I have seen those reports. All have involved a phone system message overriding the app. One fellow threw himself in front of his car to stop it, which, while not the smartest move did work apparently.

But that was really poor programming on Tesla’s part if a system app can get the app stuck in a “button pressed” mode.

It's not safe with mission critical operation via the cloud. Anyway with a tight timeout on a continuous data stream it should be possible. I hope that's what they are doing. That they send pings every X ms. If a new one is not received within X ms then halt
It is what they are doing. Only problem is that the app still thinks the user holds a finger on that button, and still send those pings, even when the system notification is showing above it.

I think I noticed something today while playing with smart summon today while sitting in the drivers seat. This based purely on observation not on any insight as to what the car is actually doing. Anyway, it seems to me the car is only using the front facing camera(s). I came to an intersection, where it paused prior to making a left turn. It executed the turn too wide, to the point that it came to a stop at a median (yellow line) that it should have been able to see when it was stopped at the intersection. If the B pillar cameras were processing free space, surely it would have made a tighter turn and not had to have come to a stop and backed up to turn some more to make that turn. They may be using those cameras for car/pedestrian detection but failed this turn 3 times in the same way (two different parking lots), leading me to believe the B pillar cameras and fish-eye camera are not being used to free space, forcing the car to be “surprised” making these types of turns. Perhaps it’s a hardware limitation and when HW3 is being fully utilized we will see an improvement.
B4C6AA28-6BF9-47AE-831A-45807E9C5EC5.jpeg

If the B pillar cameras were processing free space, surely it would have made a tighter turn and not had to have come to a stop and backed up to turn some more to make that turn. They may be using those cameras for car/pedestrian detection but failed this turn 3 times in the same way (two different parking lots), leading me to believe the B pillar cameras and fish-eye camera are not being used to free space, forcing the car to be “surprised” making these types of turns. Perhaps it’s a hardware limitation and when HW3 is being fully utilized we will see an improvement.
I don't think it works like that. They use camera feed from all the cameras for object recognition.

My theory is that the path is drawn in the cloud and sent. The car makes adjustments depending on what it sees. So, it was an error in the Tesla servers (their sat map / photo is not ok ?).

The path the app showed was fine. I’ve seen the videos @verygreen has shown and couldn’t immediately find any those showed the B pillar cameras displaying the green free space that forward cameras use, just vehicles. Maybe he can shed some light when he has some free time.
side cams do the driveable space detection just the same

There is a discussion on Reddit suggesting that Smart summon is using OpenStreetMap to get parking lot features like pathways, one way direction, etc. I've checked locations where my SS tests did not go well and sure enough the parking lots were mapped wrongly in OpenStreetMaps that would totally explain the car's behavior.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
There is a discussion on Reddit suggesting that Smart summon is using OpenStreetMap to get parking lot features like pathways, one way direction, etc. I've checked locations where my SS tests did not go well and sure enough the parking lots were mapped wrongly in OpenStreetMaps that would totally explain the car's behavior.

So they used the Wikipedia of maps, and now anyone can edit their local parking lot to make Teslas do stupid things on summon?

Not a great plan.