Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, it's probably just as difficult. However the speeds are very low so it should be possible to just not run into anything.
The scenario I'm worried about is a kid or stroller right next to a front wheel. Will that be picked up by the pillar side cameras and will the NN be able to recognize it?
That is a good point, because normally you don’t need to worry, that cars without drivers start to move by themselves.

That is a good point, because normally you don’t need to worry, that cars without drivers start to move by themselves.

Interesting point about the social dynamic of the parking lot.

Now that I think of it, I certainly try to assess whether the cars I pass by as a pedestrian are occupied or not — if I have to assume any ”dead-looking” car can actually start to move at any time that certainly changes the dynamic.

As for Tesla so far I think their biggest issue for Smart Summon is that they can’t fully reliably detect obstacles. Their NNs just aren’t there yet, their camera coverage for parking lot use is not optimal, and ultrasoncs are not as reliable at this as some may think, missing certain types of obstacles and being slow.

Reactions: Inside and Matias
How did the kid in the stroller get by the front wheel by himself?

Being placed there by the parents in the next car packing groceries or pushed there by their parents while walking through the parking lot? Or kids running/pushing away from their parents?

Even with a general visual on the car when summoning, low obstacles may be blocked from the vantage point of the Tesla owner.

Reactions: Matias
It would be interesting to see a visualisation of blind spots around Tesla. To my understanding, cameras don’t see 360 very near the car.

Yeah the front quarter on the bumper level is not visible to the cameras, ultrasonics only there (at such distances the front radar cone is too narrow to be useful too).

Towards the rear the side-marker and rear-view cameras should see pretty well low down too.

• Informative
Reactions: Matias
My S detects a 10-15 cm high curb in front

You misunderstand — I mean the Tesla owner summoning the car may not see low obstacles because things blocking their view of the car being summoned, so yeah it is up to the cameras (which have a blind spot in the front quarter of the car on the bumper level) and ultrasonics of the car to see such obstacles.

Ultrasonics have issues with metal pipe type of stuctures such as fallen down bikes (strollers?).

Reactions: emmz0r
You misunderstand — I mean the Tesla owner summoning the car may not see low obstacles because things blocking their view of the car being summoned, so yeah it is up to the cameras (which have a blind spot in the front quarter of the car on the bumper level) and ultrasonics of the car to see such obstacles.

Ultrasonics have issues with metal pipe type of stuctures such as fallen down bikes (strollers?).
It looks like the pillar cameras should be able to see the front quarter of the car? Whether or not the NN will be able recognize someone standing there is another question of course.
Even though advanced summon looks completely useless it will be interesting to see its limitations.

It looks like the pillar cameras should be able to see the front quarter of the car?

The B pillar cameras are positioned to catch cross traffic, they are not positioned to see near the front of the car, so there remains this blindspot around the front quarter of the car close-by, low-down.

It really is a result of Tesla taking MobilEye EyeQ4’s 8+4 reference camera setup back in 2016 and removing the 4 parking cameras from it (with the exception of the rear-view parking camera which they used to replace MobilEye’s eigth driving camera: the roof camera). So they have no cameras in the side mirrors or in the nose of the car that look down and close.

Reactions: emmz0r
I think driverless cars in a parking lot are going to be quite difficult. As pedestrians walking in a parking lot, we frequently look to make eye contact with drivers to ensure they see us, followed by a driver "waving you on" and a subsequent "thank you wave". These three items (eye contact, driver wave, pedestrian response wave) are critical to our understanding of how to navigate a parking lot. How does this happen without a driver? Food for thought.

The B pillar cameras are positioned to catch cross traffic, they are not positioned to see near the front of the car, so there remains this blindspot around the front quarter of the car close-by, low-down.
Hmm. I’ve never seen any footage from the pillar cameras.
Obviously humans can’t see that part of the car either so it should be fine, right? The car just has to remember what was there when you pull in to the parking lot and keep the cameras on to make sure anything that enters the blind spot leaves it. Or maybe you can just not allow the car to steer into the blind space on initial movement. I don’t envy the engineers who are under pressure to get this feature released that’s for sure.

Hmm. I’ve never seen any footage from the pillar cameras.
Obviously humans can’t see that part of the car either so it should be fine, right? The car just has to remember what was there when you pull in to the parking lot and keep the cameras on to make sure anything that enters the blind spot leaves it. Or maybe you can just not allow the car to steer into the blind space on initial movement.

There is plenty of footage from the B pillar cameras on TMC so there is no question as to what the AP2+ cameras see and don’t see. There is a camera blind spot on the bumper level roughly around the front of the car, from the left front wheel all the way to the right front wheel.

It is true that humans have a similar blind spot but they have some other advantages including walking to the car before they start driving it so they usually can see if an obstacle is there — or get out of the car and go check if need be.

Human brain is also so far superior in remembering what they saw a little while ago and making up for what they miss in seeing right now though of course eventually computers can catch up.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
Someone needs to make a graph comparing Musk's promises with their actual delivery dates, so we can better estimate how far away features are.

FSD in 2017 may skew the numbers a bit.

How's this?

2n_large.jpg

So @diplomat33, getting it finally how Tesla operates? :)

@timewasted Also to note: The June 24th update isn’t even about this stuff going to Tesla owners in general, but still just Early Access, which even the promised early FSD owners were denied access to and is thus an extremely limited testing group instead of any kind of general release.

Reactions: dbldwn02