Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This problem was solved a long time ago by handicapped parking spots... or am I missing something?
The only people whose "minds are blown" are people who have never been in an actual L4 prototype vehicle. There are multiple L4 companies that together have driven ~20 million miles, with fewer at-fault accidents than Enhanced Summon has had in 24 hours.
Yeah, I'm confused about why people think this is progress towards autonomous driving. This technology seems like it's about a decade behind state of the art. I'll have hope when Tesla exceeds the current state of the art. I guess I'm a pessimist.

So I tried enhanced summon for the first time today as well as another model 3 owner in the group I play with on Sat mornings. This is actually the first time I have used summon of any flavor, never had a use for the regular summon so never tried it.

Scenario was a partially empty theater parking lot with no foot or car traffic. I parked on the near side of a long dividing island and he parked on the far side. The whole group came out to watch, I can say this is brilliant PR for Tesla, everyone was amazed.

Did my car first, it pulled out of the spot and navigated to the curb at the theater front pretty well. Pretty easy. Other guy was more confident so had parked so the car would need to figure out how to get around the island. His car backed out and turned the wrong way as there was construction blocking the far end. Car heads towards construction, then figures out (somehow) it isn’t going to make it that way so did a u turn in the parking lot and came back the correct direction. It navigated the semi-tight turns (slowly) and did manage to get itself over to the correct location, although it did drive through a handicapped spot. It was interesting watching his car drive as he had a silver windshield cover up, LOL.

Used in those scenarios, (quiet mostly empty parking lots) it is probably fine and a neat trick. Maybe handy for rainy days in a quiet office parking lot. Unfortunately, I don’t know that all folks will be as cautious with it as we were, so I am guessing this will be interesting.

Got a chance to test Smart Summon for myself a few more times today. It's definitely cautious and a bit hesitant at times. But it gets the job done. I look forward to Tesla improving Smart Summon more in the future because I think once it becomes more confident in itself, it will definitely be a great feature.

Reactions: jebinc and kbM3
You should be asking that to our resident trolls ;)
Usually @diplomat33 answers are very assertive about Tesla and with a lot of confidence and positivity. All these given he is only around since model 3. Anybody following Tesla and Elon knows how much they lie (no point in using words like over promise and he always deliver albeit late etc). Who knows may be Tesla is trying to correct their image on one of their largest online community¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anybody following Tesla and Elon knows how much they lie (no point in using words like over promise and he always deliver albeit late etc).
OT & Trollish. There is a separate Musk thread you can use for this sort of thing.

BTW, do you know what the cost of Tesla's disruption to multiple industries ? You can see they have mostly bought the entire mainstream media.

OT & Trollish. There is a separate Musk thread you can use for this sort of thing.

BTW, do you know what the cost of Tesla's disruption to multiple industries ? You can see they have mostly bought the entire mainstream media.
I have a lot better things to do than post about Musk and his lies.
Let's keep this thread to it's relevant discussion and I had just asked a question to a member not you.
I don't care whatever industry they are disrupting. They lied to me and several others when they sold AP2 with that fake video.

Usually @diplomat33 answers are very assertive about Tesla and with a lot of confidence and positivity. All these given he is only around since model 3. Anybody following Tesla and Elon knows how much they lie (no point in using words like over promise and he always deliver albeit late etc). Who knows may be Tesla is trying to correct their image on one of their largest online community¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Actually, I've followed Tesla a long time before the Model 3. The Model 3 just happens to be my first Tesla. And if I am positive and supportive of Tesla, it is only because I have admired the company for years (before the Model 3). When I first saw a Model S, I thought it was a gorgeous, exciting car and I wanted to buy one for years. When Tesla announced the Model 3, it was finally my chance to own a Tesla after waiting so long for one. So yeah, I can get pretty excited about Tesla.

I tried Smart Summon today on my AP 2 vehicle in a nearly-empty parking lot. The first try didn’t get the vehicle all the way to me & seemed to get stuck. 2nd try in a different parking configuration that required backing out, it backed out OK & passed another car in motion in the opposite direction. No idea if the driver realized no one was behind the wheel! But, the car didn’t make it all the way to me & got stuck with nothing blocking. The third try in a different parking place worked better & the vehicle actually reached my location.

My big question is, does the software require some in-car learning curve/experience to really work the best?

I tried Smart Summon today on my AP 2 vehicle in a nearly-empty parking lot. The first try didn’t get the vehicle all the way to me & seemed to get stuck. 2nd try in a different parking configuration that required backing out, it backed out OK & passed another car in motion in the opposite direction. No idea if the driver realized no one was behind the wheel! But, the car didn’t make it all the way to me & got stuck with nothing blocking. The third try in a different parking place worked better & the vehicle actually reached my location.

My big question is, does the software require some in-car learning curve/experience to really work the best?

My impression is that the car has a hard time recognizing the environment. Signs in parking lots are often worn, there are parallel and perpendicular spots. Unusual signs. The current version doesn't check or doesn't recognize the signs. Drives on the wrong side of the road. Does not stop at stop signs. And these parking lot situations sometime need driver to driver eye contacts.

If I were to design a self summon with today's technology, it would have high res map and lidar on top of the current suite. And vehicle to vehicle communication.

My impression is that the car has a hard time recognizing the environment. Signs in parking lots are often worn, there are parallel and perpendicular spots. Unusual signs. The current version doesn't check or doesn't recognize the signs. Drives on the wrong side of the road. Does not stop at stop signs. And these parking lot situations sometime need driver to driver eye contacts.

If I were to design a self summon with today's technology, it would have high res map and lidar on top of the current suite. And vehicle to vehicle communication.

My tests were in an older parking lot with parking slots perpendicular to the aisles, older markings, no signs. In the second test, my vehicle passed the driven ICE vehicle on the wrong side to reach me, and it didn't seem to have any problem with the other-vehicle interaction. The third test seemed to go better than the first two, though the conditions were slightly different. I also don't have the AP 3 (FSD) processor.

I'll keep trying this feature in other parking lots under other circumstances.

Parking lot is a chaotic environment.

Its not clear to me how the summon is currently working. Not sure how much of the work is done by NN and how much by procedural code. Seems to me mostly procedural - so, improvements can be made to some of the things it does slowly over time.

They should try end-to-end learning to solve this. Would be interesting.

Well, here is a crazy soul who tried it in a Costco/Home Depot parking lot. Joseph Schager on Twitter

interesting how the car tried to pull around the one fellow stopped waiting on pedestrians then just got itself stuck in the classic Costco jam. The person in the gray SUV was probably wondering what to do as they had no driver to make eye contact with.

Last edited:
Well, here is a crazy soul who tried it in a Costco/Home Depot parking lot. Joseph Schager on Twitter

interesting how the car tried to pull around the one fellow stopped waiting on pedestrians then just got itself stuck in the classic Costco jam. The person in the gray SUV was probably wondering what to do as they had no driver to make eye contact with.
Still made it - the car had more patience than a human driver.

Reactions: EVNow