Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon, where are you?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back in early April Elon tweeted out that ES would be rolling out widely 'next week'. Yesterday he pushed this back to 'later this month': Elon Musk on Twitter

I'm not usually one to complain about Tesla's over-promising in the FSD department, but it really is astonishing to me that they are advertising this as a *currently available* FSD feature for users when they purchase a new Tesla:

"Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really."

It's not a big deal, but some buyers probably watched the EAP videos and will pick up a new car expecting it to be there. It's the small stuff like this that seems so avoidable. The release got pushed? No problem, update the order page.

Well... having witnessed what they had first hand it's not usable. Sure if it's raining buckets and you want the car to come to you AND you have about 5 minutes you can watch the car go less than 3 MPH from 150 ft away to try and find you. Mostly it'll miss the mark by 15-20 ft anyways so you'll still get soaked. Just bring an umbrella next time. There really are no real useful use cases for enhanced summon.

• Disagree
Reactions: cwmagui
There really are no real useful use cases for enhanced summon.

I plan on using it any time I take my mom to dinner.

She has issues walking, and issues with balance. Normally I just leave her standing there at the entrance to get my car, and reverse it probably 100ft or so.

But, with summons I can just have it come to us.

That way I don't have to worry about her falling over while I back up the car.

Is it going to piss off the other residence at the senior living place? Probably not as 3mph is like double the speed that they drive.

At any rate the limited speed/functionality is likely why Elon just delayed it to make it better.

Every mph counts. Once it hits 5mph it should be at least plausible to use it.

My mom is pretty much death proof so Elon has lots of time to get it right.

I'm sure there will be some limited use cases for it (as described above). But outside of the uses in the fringes... I think this will be nothing more than a party trick. I'll probably use it once or twice just because I can but it won't add much value to my daily life.

Having said that... I STILL think it's cool and an awesome example of what's possible.

I'm sure there will be some limited use cases for it (as described above). But outside of the uses in the fringes... I think this will be nothing more than a party trick. I'll probably use it once or twice just because I can but it won't add much value to my daily life.

Having said that... I STILL think it's cool and an awesome example of what's possible.

I imagine this will be an incremental first step. When ES gets better, I think it will compliment nicely the other FSD features where we can get out of our car in front of a store and let the car find a parking space on its own or get out of the store, hit the summon button and the car can quickly come pick us up.

Reactions: cwmagui
I imagine this will be an incremental first step. When ES gets better, I think it will compliment nicely the other FSD features where we can get out of our car in front of a store and let the car find a parking space on its own or get out of the store, hit the summon button and the car can quickly come pick us up.
Quickly is the key. If it ever gets to that point it will become a utility instead of a party trick.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: diplomat33
Elon tweeted that Enhanced Summon is "almost ready" and that he tested it personally yesterday.
Tesla's Advanced Summon update is almost ready for release, says Elon Musk

Of course, there could be more delays but it does look like we are getting closer. I am actually really looking forward to Enhanced Summon because it appears to be a significant improvement over the old summon. Also, I am hoping that the public release of enhanced summon will be better than what we saw from the early access videos. After all, Tesla gave themselves more time to refine the feature. So hopefully, we will get a pretty cool new feature in enhanced summon. Lastly, enhanced summon seems to be an incremental but significant step towards the car being able to autonomously drop us off and pick us up.

Elon tweeted that Enhanced Summon is "almost ready" and that he tested it personally yesterday.
Tesla's Advanced Summon update is almost ready for release, says Elon Musk

Of course, there could be more delays but it does look like we are getting closer. I am actually really looking forward to Enhanced Summon because it appears to be a significant improvement over the old summon. Also, I am hoping that the public release of enhanced summon will be better than what we saw from the early access videos. After all, Tesla gave themselves more time to refine the feature. So hopefully, we will get a pretty cool new feature in enhanced summon. Lastly, enhanced summon seems to be an incremental but significant step towards the car being able to autonomously drop us off and pick us up.

I wouldn't put too much credence in that tweet. That was just one of many twitter posts Elon made about Advanced Summon being released. Here is one saying next week....just like many others...did NOT happen:

Elon Musk on Twitter

• Helpful
Reactions: Matias and croman
That was just one of many twitter posts Elon made about Advanced Summon being released. Here is one saying next week....just like many others...did NOT happen:

Elon Musk on Twitter

The tweet you quote is from back in April before the delay. The tweet I quoted was from yesterday. It is more up to date. But I like I said, I fully acknowledge that ES could be delayed again.

The tweet you quote is from back in April before the delay. The tweet I quoted was from yesterday. It is more up to date. But I like I said, I fully acknowledge that ES could be delayed again.
You are delusional. Absolutely delusional. You put way too much faith into Elon’s tweets. Elon is borderline lying at this point. It’s sad. He is destroying his image. Every damn week since November, Enhanced Summon has been “weeks away”

I used to believe Elon. He just destroys his credibility constantly. Without a care in the world

You are delusional. Absolutely delusional. You put way too much faith into Elon’s tweets. Elon is borderline lying at this point. It’s sad. He is destroying his image. Every damn week since November, Enhanced Summon has been “weeks away”

I used to believe Elon. He just destroys his credibility constantly. Without a care in the world

I think you are overreacting a bit. LOL.

All I did was share an article about what Elon said yesterday, I admit there could be delays and then I share some of my personal reasons why I am looking forward to getting Enhanced Summon. If that counts as "putting too much faith in Elon", then I don't know what to say.

I think you are overreacting a bit. LOL.

All I did was share an article about what Elon said yesterday, I admit there could be delays and then I share some of my personal reasons why I am looking forward to getting Enhanced Summon. If that counts as "putting too much faith in Elon", then I don't know what to say.
I am overreacting. I’m sorry. I am just frustrated at Elon. He does this to himself

It would really be a good show if enhanced summon works better than it did as I described earlier. If it say... drives at 5 MPH without stopping periodically to deal with changing conditions and can get to within 10 ft of me it would go a long way to saying that Tesla may get beyond level 2 autonomy. There are a lot of corner cases to deal with in a parking lot. But we will see. I'm gonna guess that it is still 6 months away and will likely require the new hardware suite to actually work.

It would really be a good show if enhanced summon works better than it did as I described earlier. If it say... drives at 5 MPH without stopping periodically to deal with changing conditions and can get to within 10 ft of me it would go a long way to saying that Tesla may get beyond level 2 autonomy. There are a lot of corner cases to deal with in a parking lot. But we will see. I'm gonna guess that it is still 6 months away and will likely require the new hardware suite to actually work.
Exactly. It’s unusable in its current beta form. If it releases in its current form, no one will believe FSD is a year away

I'm generally very positive/optimistic about Tesla Autopilot/FSD. However - even I tend to think that FSD (equal to what we saw in Tesla's own video) is more than year away! I think we'll get a sprinkling of it by late this year or early 2020 but I don't think we'll see anything close to what was in their video until 2021.