Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough is Enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im sorry to hear of your problems.
Speaking of Toyota i have had my run around corolla since new (2001)
Never had any problems at all. So in 20 years no issues...
Only things ive done are the basics...Tyres, pads, discs, servicing.

Sorry for the delay, it’s been a very busy week or so. Ok so the car was towed away as per the video on the 4th. Officially rejected it on the 5th and full refund this morning. The SC were great but when they call and say, ok all wheels out of alignment, needs new steering unit, both headlights, both b pillar cameras, new screen/roof glass and tailgate. It should be done for the end of the week is that ok? I’m sorry that’s not happening on a brand new car.

True to their word it was all ready on the Thursday but I had already rejected it by that point. if you see a new M3P in white with just over 170 miles on it, don’t buy it.

Didn’t rate the FSD as it was very hit and miss, literally, but could have been related to the car not being straight and camera issues.

I know people will say it’s a lemon or a rogue build, but I very much doubt it.

For ref this was my second model 3, first was a company car LR and had a few issues but all fixed. My company has 16 on the fleet, everyone has build issues, most being the same. The MP3 new model I received was utter garbage. Rushed off the line with no PDI (push for end of Q sales)

credit for the SC and recovery team, they were top notch and did a great job.

Sorry for the delay, it’s been a very busy week or so. Ok so the car was towed away as per the video on the 4th. Officially rejected it on the 5th and full refund this morning. The SC were great but when they call and say, ok all wheels out of alignment, needs new steering unit, both headlights, both b pillar cameras, new screen/roof glass and tailgate. It should be done for the end of the week is that ok? I’m sorry that’s not happening on a brand new car.

True to their word it was all ready on the Thursday but I had already rejected it by that point. if you see a new M3P in white with just over 170 miles on it, don’t buy it.

Didn’t rate the FSD as it was very hit and miss, literally, but could have been related to the car not being straight and camera issues.

I know people will say it’s a lemon or a rogue build, but I very much doubt it.

For ref this was my second model 3, first was a company car LR and had a few issues but all fixed. My company has 16 on the fleet, everyone has build issues, most being the same. The MP3 new model I received was utter garbage. Rushed off the line with no PDI (push for end of Q sales)

credit for the SC and recovery team, they were top notch and did a great job.

I can see why you chose to reject this particular car, but most tend to only have minor cosmetic build issues. Irritating of course, but still preferable to driving something else inevitably slower and lower tech.

The main difference with Tesla vs mainstream is that conventional dealers tend to carry out proper PDI checks before delivery, so you don’t get to see the factory QC issues. Tesla literally just throw cars straight at the customer, which is not doing their reputation any good at all. But on the plus side I’ve always found my local Tesla SC very easy to deal with and always keen to help solve any issues.

M3 is our second Tesla and like the first has a few minor QC issues to resolve. Nothing serious so hopefully just a single visit to the SC. In the meantime it drives brilliantly. Yours clearly didn’t, so that’s a different matter entirely!

I know people will say it’s a lemon or a rogue build, but I very much doubt it
Well, there are literally hundreds of thousands of M3s on the roads and not many of them are rejected (although, I accept, far more are than there should!) so yours was very much a lemon.
As others have said, it is rare to have such a litany of major faults such as yours, I suspect I would have probably done the same thing in your shoes.
I’m sure this doesn’t make you willing to try Tesla ever again, which is a shame.
Have you considered any other alternatives?

Gone back to BMW and being quite fair the assisted drive is a lot less jumpy than the Tesla. 600 mile round trip this week most being with the assisted drive on and it was faultless. Not one false brake event, no disconnect and no annoying pings when I changed lane.
I’ll miss the Tesla as I found it an easy drive, but the M340i is by far a better car at this point in time.

Gone back to BMW and being quite fair the assisted drive is a lot less jumpy than the Tesla. 600 mile round trip this week most being with the assisted drive on and it was faultless. Not one false brake event, no disconnect and no annoying pings when I changed lane.
I’ll miss the Tesla as I found it an easy drive, but the M340i is by far a better car at this point in time.

Spoiler: I have both, and it's not.

Reactions: M3PBOSS
If you had FSD there wouldn't have been pings when you changed lanes. Fault found, entire story now disregarded.
It came with the free 3 month trial. In auto pilot it pings, in FSD which worked for all of 5 min it screamed safety warnings and disconnected,
More than likely due to the steering issue and being out of calibration. Oh that and multiple camera blocked/visibility issues

Spoiler: I have both, and it's not.
I can guarantee a back to back trip in the Tesla on auto pilot would throw multiple phantom braking episodes to the point it’s nervous and unsafe for the car behind when the brakes slam on at 70. vs no issues in the BMW on assisted drive, the behaviour is not as nervous. Done the 300 mile trip 7 times this year 5 in the Tesla and 2 in the BMW so very familiar with the capability of both.

I can guarantee a back to back trip in the Tesla on auto pilot would throw multiple phantom braking episodes to the point it’s nervous and unsafe for the car behind when the brakes slam on at 70. vs no issues in the BMW on assisted drive, the behaviour is not as nervous. Done the 300 mile trip 7 times this year 5 in the Tesla and 2 in the BMW so very familiar with the capability of both.

With all the many stories of phantom braking, for some reason I rarely experience it. Not saying I've never ever had it, but it is pretty rare for me I must say. No idea why. I've done over 40k miles in Teslas over the last 3 years.

Anyway, enjoy the BMW!

With all the many stories of phantom braking, for some reason I rarely experience it. Not saying I've never ever had it, but it is pretty rare for me I must say. No idea why. I've done over 40k miles in Teslas over the last 3 years.

Anyway, enjoy the BMW!
Had a Starbucks phantom breaking incident with the wife where she ended up wearing 1/2 a cup of coffee. She swears I braked hard on purpose. The seats cleaned down super easy with a baby wipe though.

It's rare for me to have a drive where the car doesn't throw a wobbly in some way or another. The most common problem for me is the car "seeing" invisible threats, and either sounding the alarm bongs and braking, or swerving across the road. There's one place on the A30 where I can pretty much guarantee it will throw a wobbly, if there's a car sat waiting to turn out of a side road. This is without using AP or TACC, just driving normally. What I'd call true phantom braking events only occur when using TACC for me, and I now only use that rarely, as it's unsafe to use anywhere other than dual carriageways or motorways, IMHO.

Must have been a rare good one then. Judging by the sheer volume of cars in service and the lack of service slots available for a month, I doubt it’s in isolation.

i find it more weird how those issues dont get noticed and rectified... like the cars get delivered with 40-80km on the odometer. so clearly they have been driven a good amount. surely the guy will be like "uhh steering wheel is offcentre and car is pulling to the right either way". like surely this should get fixed?

i find it more weird how those issues dont get noticed and rectified... like the cars get delivered with 40-80km on the odometer. so clearly they have been driven a good amount. surely the guy will be like "uhh steering wheel is offcentre and car is pulling to the right either way". like surely this should get fixed?

I believe there is a policy within Tesla to NOT try and correct defects prior to delivery, but get cars in the hands of customers, whether defective or not, as quickly as possible. They seem to have adopted the opposite to the quality processes that most mainstream manufacturers have been working towards for years, like "right first time".

In the short term, with customers prepared to overlook the defects because they desperately want a Tesla, this policy clearly works. As Tesla shifts into the mass market, though, where customers are not buying the cars primarily because of the brand name, I think Tesla may well either have to improve its quality control processes, or risk getting such a bad reputation for build quality that customers go elsewhere. Tesla may be the leader of the pack right now, but there are several cars coming to market over the next year or so that could knock them off that spot in terms of price, performance and quality. The only remaining advantage Tesla will then have is the supercharger network, and although that's a big plus for some, for others it's not as important as some may think (I've never used it in well over a year's ownership, for example).