Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough Superchargers for Thanksgiving?

Enough superchargers for everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 75 65.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 34.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just read that Tesla has increased their California deliveries by 400% over the past quarter. Understandable that, with many of these getting 6 Months of free supercharging with a referal, that the chargers will be busly.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Tesla friends. Something else I need to keep on my "thankful" list.

Reactions: longshot49
Plenty of open Superchargers on Thanksgiving day and no waiting in lines. I didn't take a picture at the first Supercharger but I was 1 or 2 Teslas at Buttonwillow.

Total trip time - 8.5 hours
Total charge time- 1.5 hours
Superchargers visited - 3

Overall for my 1st road trip it wasn't bad. During the 1st stop, I told my wife I made a mistake in selling our Prius, but Starbucks took 30min to get our coffees due to crowds. Not too bad, each stop we ate snacks and went to the restroom. Since we only do this trip twice a year, I am okay now and no longer regret not having an ICE vehicle.

20181122_093034-02.jpeg
20181122_113942-01.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: redscott and CarlK
It's already public information. You just have to be sitting inside a Tesla vehicle to view it.

The only compelling reason that I can think of for Tesla not to make it more easily accessible outside of a vehicle is the potential negative PR from anyone being able to see when SC stations are full.

I remember for a few days (or weeks(?)) after Tesla first made this information available on the map, some enterprising individual found a way to access that info and created a website with a map that showed all of the stall availability data in real time. But Tesla soon shut it down.

The author of the web app that showed this info said in a posting here that Tesla asked him politely to remove it. I seem to recall it being a security concern or some such. Perhaps minimal risk, but reasoning through it, a nerdowell could use an online viewer to see when a single Tesla is in a remote location, at night, say.

Turned out fine here. I live next to a very busy supercharger in SoCal and all day so far it has only filled up half of the stalls. They usually would be full during the mid-day. People forget during the holidays lots are driving out of town.

We were caught by the T-day rush today. There was another Tesla at the Three Rivers, TX Supercharger. I always thought I was the only one who had ever been there...;)

Yer killing me :).

Meanwhile, back here at the SoCal ranch, Clemente was full with a line already as noted above. Interesting mix of commuters, travelers, and soccer moms ^H^H^H^H parents at that location. I've never seen another 20+ stall location completely filled with Xs (except me) repeatedly before. And that was months ago. At non-peak times, it's a great location and means I'll never have to deal with Qualcomm in San Diego again - even with trips inland.

Redondo full, Culver full, and Thousand Oaks East almost full so far this extended weekend. Par for the course, really.

And it's not even Sunday yet.

Given that there are more Model 3s in California than anywhere else, and given that most of those do NOT have "free" supercharging (more correctly expressed as *included* supercharging, since there's nothing free about owning these cars), it doesn't make any more sense than it ever has to blame included supercharging for congestion. This is a supply versus increasing volume issue, plain and simple. After all - nobody waving the "free supercharging" canard has yet been able to tell the difference between a garaged local and a non-garaged local just by looking at them. For those unaware, non-garaged locals have had carte blanche from Tesla to use SCs from Day One. Ask me how I know.

And so it goes.

As an aside, there's an interesting juxtaposition between pulling the trigger for a new M3 before Dec 1 (for the full tax credit) versus waiting for the return of included supercharging during the last week or so of the year and getting half the tax credit (gotta love those demand levers). For me, included supercharging is worth $3,800/year, averaged over the past 4 years using current $/kW pricing. More than for most, yeah, but these cars are made for driving, and driving I do enjoy. Don't bother doing the math unless you also account for a confirmed ~50% range hit for short urban trips, and unless you also drive half your miles in town versus the other half on the road (during which there is almost zero range hit, happily).

Reactions: Big Earl
Greensboro, NC - 8 spots and open just over a year. Almost had to wait yesterday but someone was pulling out just as I pulled in. The fullest I have ever seen a NC supercharger. Paired but got full speed charge.

I suspect because of traffic concerns, Sunday won't be all that bad. People leave at varying times.

Greensboro, NC - 8 spots and open just over a year. Almost had to wait yesterday but someone was pulling out just as I pulled in. The fullest I have ever seen a NC supercharger. Paired but got full speed charge.

I suspect because of traffic concerns, Sunday won't be all that bad. People leave at varying times.

I'm leaving Sunday. Its going to be interesting to see if there is ANY congestion.

I would like to think that Tesla is collecting all of this data.

Vacaville CA was full (16 chargers). I waited about 10 minutes Friday at 2:00 for a Tesla to leave. Located in busy shopping center with every ICE parking spot taken as well with Black Friday crowds. Duh!

Driving into significant headwinds from Corning reduced range which kept falling. Projected supercharger Arrival SOC 11% when we left Chico with 74% SOC dropping to 5% predicted at halfway and warning to reduce speed to 65 mph from 70.

We could have avoided congestion at Vacaville outlets by driving 8 miles further to Fairfield with no wait, but freeway was stop and go and I didn’t want to risk it.

A BetterRoute Planner accurately matched my experience when 15 mph headwind entered - which I didn’t do until now. In retrospect my total trip time would have been better if I slowed to 60 mph and thereby made it to Fairfield with no wait. I find it interesting that what is normally a boring long trip from Chico had my mind working on the alternatives available.

I enjoyed autopilot’s assist to relax while challenging my mind with alternative speed/wind/supercharger options. I didn’t experience range anxiety - more like intellectual stimulus. I’m sure I will get better with more experience. Hope your travels have similarly positive outcomes!

It's already public information. You just have to be sitting inside a Tesla vehicle to view it.

The only compelling reason that I can think of for Tesla not to make it more easily accessible outside of a vehicle is the potential negative PR from anyone being able to see when SC stations are full.

I remember for a few days (or weeks(?)) after Tesla first made this information available on the map, some enterprising individual found a way to access that info and created a website with a map that showed all of the stall availability data in real time. But Tesla soon shut it down.

Viewing on the screen is quite different from someone being able to poll the data every minute 24x7 programmatically. Lots of things that could be learned (or better estimated) from the dataset. Supercharger electric cost, supercharger usage trends. Trends by area, outages, etc.

Holiday traveling brings out the worst in some people. Over the 4th of July I caught someone trying to unplug my car. I was there about 45 minutes and had left my car to charge to have lunch in the Savannah airport. When I got back to my car this fellow Tesla driver was ranting and raving about me hogging the SC and saying that I made people wait. I have a dash-cam video of him trying to unplug my car TWICE.

This is the only time, in 4 1/2 years of Tesla ownership, that I ever met anyone who was not overly nice at a SC.

Last edited: