Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough with bug fix updates šŸ˜”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MCU2 very dark rear view camera in low light levels took 2 years or more to fix. OTA updates obviously did nothing to speed up that fix. USB album artwork broken by OTA update ages ago still not fixed.

Bug fixes .... Ha ha ha.

Without proper version tracking and fix list, and with new bugs coming as fast or faster than fixes, what's the point of updates at all?! 1 step forwards, 2 or 3 back.

All it really does is fuel endless speculation and conjecture about (often imagined) changes in regen and AP behavior!

If you are impatient waiting for "FSD", may I suggest counseling? Focus your energy on your health, because you are going to need to live a long time to see your Tesla have anything close to FSD.
I have had lane changing since 2015. The progress in 6 years extrapolated out is starting to look like 2050 for FSD.
I know, I know, AI is exponential. Ok, maybe 2045.
Now I may be biased when I say this Because I donā€™t believe FSD is coming for any of the cars on the road today and I absolutely despise the fact that Elon Musk constantly spews bs about how amazing and damn near fully ready it is when everyone who isnā€™t a total fanboy knows heā€™s lying. but your 2045-2050 prediction is not that far off imo, when you think of all the obstacles they have yet to solve, a true FSD Tesla is not coming anytime soon.

Reactions: InternetDude
Is it me or are theses constant ā€œbug fixā€ updates starting to get annoying? Have been waiting for months and months for FSD and still nothing. Every update seems to be a bug fix these days. Dare I say I am starting to feel some disappointment. Send me something new and exciting. Many of us have paid for FSD months ago. Please deliver!
Or you could be like me and tens of thousands of other owners of older tesla cars (mostly Model S, probably) who do not have AP at all or have only AP1 and did not pay for FSD and are not waiting for it. Our cars get even less in useful updates. When the software does change in our cars lately, it sometimes is a degradation, such as the recent update that rearranged the instrument cluster for no good reason (at least for us), reduced the readability, and probably hints at future loss of function and value for the older cars.
Here is an example from a big update a couple of years ago -- Where is my ionizer? My car is equipped with the device, but the control for it was removed from the HVAC screen, probably because some junior software clerk did not know there was such a thing or was told to remove it "because we don't supply those any more." Hence, loss of value -- I may not need an ionizer, it may not do that much, but my car has one and I no longer know if it is on or off.

It would be nice if they mentioned what bugs were fixed, but I'm with ya. It's like opening presents on Christmas morning and getting socks.

Yeah something more detailed would be nice. But I like socks.

I see a string of updates like this and I think they're putting work into making the software more stable. I would prefer that over more fart apps.

Also, self-driving this year? Did anyone seriously think that was going to happen?

Ouch! That is a long time. While I am still not pleased, my complaint pales in comparison to your wait., Wow.
I ordered my MS in 2016. Did not get any autopilot option when I bought the vehicle even though it came with HW 2.0. No TACC or lane keeping either. Mainly because I felt the AP/EAP was too expensive for what you get. I prefer to purchase items I KNOW work at time of purchase. Not a ā€œfuture promiseā€. I did however buy the whole AP with FSD option during the 5k fire sale. At that price, I felt the whole package was worth it.

If I was buying new today, I wouldnā€™t buy FSD. Especially since the lane keeping / TACC is now standard.

You know, for all the complaining, I am glad that I can now keep my car unlocked in the garage. I am not sure why this took 5 years - it was more important than GPS enabled home link.
But at least we got something in 2020/2021. I was not doing any updates for awhile but the unlock at home option got me to do one.
Mostly, of course, for old cars we got limited regen and limited charging speed. Although, that at least has a purpose.
The most recent changing of the dash layout had zero purpose.
It is kind of fun (and sad) to see the relatively new Tesla owner who still believe Elon and think OTA updates are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Totally agree that FSD is not coming to any current Tesla. Funny how the "autopilot" name got so much slack but really "FSD" leaves no room for interpretation.
And how crazy do you need to be to believe that your car will become a Robotaxi and worth more than it is today.

Reactions: David29
Here is an example from a big update a couple of years ago -- Where is my ionizer? My car is equipped with the device, but the control for it was removed from the HVAC screen, probably because some junior software clerk did not know there was such a thing or was told to remove it "because we don't supply those any more." Hence, loss of value -- I may not need an ionizer, it may not do that much, but my car has one and I no longer know if it is on or off.

That is sad. And so true to (current) form.
I just learned something today. My car essentially has an "appendix" in the sense of a no-longer used ionizer component. I bought it used and don't recall ever having this option in the HVAC controls.

I do know there used to be an extra-low setting on the air suspension that was taken away early on, after a debris strike caused a battery fire.