Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enough with the games already!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

aerodyne

2 of 3 EV's - Defect Free!
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
OK, so today, Checkers. I guess Chess is next?

Fine, the grand kids like it, along with the emissions test mode. But they are not buying cars anytime soon. They will have my car if I have my way, as I intend to keep it a very long time, despite the regressive updates.

How does game creation like this fufill Tesla's mission statement? Are mobile arcades somehow carbon neutral?

Snark aside, the basic question is, with all the delays, loss of talent, and lack of recent progress on AP and FSD, surely the software engineers can be put to better use?

Almost hit a homeless person recently. All in black, walking slowly right in front of my car last week, dead of night, no street lights, low speed. Car did Nothing. They better work that hard for FSD. COTS FLIR is an easy solution.

Yah this forum is one of the worst when it comes to this. Most other forums have off topic areas but here every forum and sub is off topic most of the time.

This forum is a full bizarro-world where people clutch their pearls and moan about a company providing FREE over the air updates to their car because they’re not the RIGHT free OTA updates for their car.

First world problems, for sure.

Of course, I have MCU1, so maybe I’m just jealous of the people who have reasons to bitch on account of getting the wrong new free features. I don’t get them at all. :(

First, I have MCU1. No need to sell, have what I want. See my signature. XXX Shares TSLA, long position.

Second, not whining about the type of games, but games at the exclusion of other needed improvements, of which there have been few recently, with additional bugs and performance degradation to boot (older MS)

The updates containing functional improvements to EAP and FSD, when they finally arrive, are not free to those who have paid for them, and are still, waiting...

When the workforce has been cut several times, and good folks are getting burned out and leaving, spending resources on games, regardless of what type of software engineer is needed, is questionable. Does it sell cars? Maybe a few, for now.

However, if there is so much money to be made with FSD, why are all eggs not in that basket trying to bring it to market ASAP? More buyers for sure will flock to a car that makes money, over trivial features like games.

Reactions: thecloud and mrElbe
First, I have MCU1. No need to sell, have what I want. See my signature. XXX Shares TSLA, long position.

Second, not whining about the type of games, but games at the exclusion of other needed improvements, of which there have been few recently, with additional bugs and performance degradation to boot (older MS)

The updates containing functional improvements to EAP and FSD, when they finally arrive, are not free to those who have paid for them, and are still, waiting...

When the workforce has been cut several times, and good folks are getting burned out and leaving, spending resources on games, regardless of what type of software engineer is needed, is questionable. Does it sell cars? Maybe a few, for now.

However, if there is so much money to be made with FSD, why are all eggs not in that basket trying to bring it to market ASAP? More buyers for sure will flock to a car that makes money, over trivial features like games.

Cool.

Did you happen to see the thread directly below yours, making all of these same points, nearly verbatim?

Every single time there is some update that is remotely whimsical, the whiners ooze out of the woodwork.

• Disagree
Reactions: aaron0k
This refrain is a common one, and it is equally incorrect as it is common. Software development is not so exclusively compartmentalized at this level.

The concept also neglects the fundamental resource exclusion.

Considering I'm a software developer myself. I'm absolutely sure developers are not cogs that management can swing around and get equal results with. Otherwise big tech wouldn't be poaching each other's talent and paying top dollar for them.

Reactions: darxsys
May sound crazy to some but I don’t think Tesla is working very hard at all with that many resources on the software code we have now in the cars for AP. We tend to look at it like “man there is no way they are close to FSD when my car can’t even make a damn left turn on it’s own, or change lanes without aborting, stop for a pedestrian or it would have hit those damn construction cones, phantom brakes...the list goes on....BUT
Keep in mind IMHO the FSD software being developed is not an enhancement of what we are using now. What they are working on is completely different code designed to make us of a chip that can process decisions at a rate a thousand times faster than what we are driving. When they release and start down this path it won’t be some “update” we get like we’re used to it’s a whole new thing. It will be software “tied” to and written for the HW3 platform.
And that’s why I think they are not concerned about putting to many resources for the time being into trying to make what we have perfect.
I could be wrong but I think I’m on the right track for the most part.

What they are working on is completely different code designed to make us of a chip that can process decisions at a rate a thousand times faster than what we are driving. When they release and start down this path it won’t be some “update” we get like we’re used to it’s a whole new thing. It will be software “tied” to and written for the HW3 platform.

I think you are correct except you should replace HW3 with HW4, which they are already working on.

I was hoping we would see all of this released and started before HW4 but yeah your right could be.
They may not be quite ready for the release due to a combination of regulatory approvals, amounts of the new chips available and a good service plan in place yet to update the existing cars out there. That’s a HUGE undertaking when it happens and people having already paid for FSD will not be patient when it starts(don’t blame them) so it will be a floodgate of folks wanting their new chips outside the SC.
That and maybe they cannot afford to undertake this yet with the cash they have on hand. They need to be making money before they start this. Who knows could be many reasons for why it’s taking so long.

I’m personally on the fence about diving for the 3K FSD they just announced. (I’m a EAP guy). Wishing now I Would have leaped at the flash sale recently for 2K.

Tesla has an opening for a 60k a year developer to mess with some games on their cars. How many websites and news media now mention Tesla has asteroids, chess, etc?
60k a year? What is their pitch for this job? Come to work for us, you won’t be able to afford housing nearby and we won’t pay you well, but hey, you get to program games for Tesla’s! But don’t worry about your 2 hour commute, we will have FSD in 3 months, 6 months max. You will be able to play games while the car drives you to work!

Reactions: Darren Donovan