Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enphase Solar and Powerwall integration

Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf
Sep 12, 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
Tesla refused to sell me a PV system due to the trees around my house (after the end of January storms, the trees fell all over the place including on my roof, so not an issue anymore), I had to use Enphase as my PV system. The good part, they installed my system within 3 weeks of ordering. With that installation I started to use Enlighten app to see my consumption and production. It was easy to see the grid import and export. The CTs are at the envoy solar production and on the main grid lugs. Yesterday, my 2 Powerwalls are installed. The Tesla app shows where the power is flowing very nicely.
The problem is the Enlighten is now complaining about the measurement. Since it does not know I have a Powerwall, probably it sees the difference between what is produced and what is sent to grid.
enphase community is full of marketers and it is not easy to get an answer. Are there any members of this community who resolved the issue? One way is to delete the enlighten app, but it still gives pretty good amount of information. Another option would be to remove the consumption CTs and use the app only for production.

gpez

Apr 25, 2019
USA
Tesla refused to sell me a PV system due to the trees around my house (after the end of January storms, the trees fell all over the place including on my roof, so not an issue anymore), I had to use Enphase as my PV system. The good part, they installed my system within 3 weeks of ordering. With that installation I started to use Enlighten app to see my consumption and production. It was easy to see the grid import and export. The CTs are at the envoy solar production and on the main grid lugs. Yesterday, my 2 Powerwalls are installed. The Tesla app shows where the power is flowing very nicely.
The problem is the Enlighten is now complaining about the measurement. Since it does not know I have a Powerwall, probably it sees the difference between what is produced and what is sent to grid.
enphase community is full of marketers and it is not easy to get an answer. Are there any members of this community who resolved the issue? One way is to delete the enlighten app, but it still gives pretty good amount of information. Another option would be to remove the consumption CTs and use the app only for production.

I have Enphase + Powerwall, Enlighten gateway + IQ6 inverters, and don't have this issue. Granted I don't use the Enlighten portal because the Powerwall provides all I need but I've never had the system complain.

If it's true that Enlighten is complaining about the measurement because of the Powerwall it sounds like the Enlighten CTs are just misplaced - they should be between the Enlighten gateway and the Powerwall, not between the grid and Powerwall.

Reactions: Vines

Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf
Sep 12, 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
I have Enphase + Powerwall, Enlighten gateway + IQ6 inverters, and don't have this issue. Granted I don't use the Enlighten portal because the Powerwall provides all I need but I've never had the system complain.

If it's true that Enlighten is complaining about the measurement because of the Powerwall it sounds like the Enlighten CTs are just misplaced - they should be between the Enlighten gateway and the Powerwall, not between the grid and Powerwall.
I understand that the production CTs are comparing the consumption CTs on the Enphase side. Possibly I can move the consumption CTs to the cables that goes to Powerwall sub panel and make them act as grid, but the dryer was left out of the pw2 sub panel, so I will still have a issue.
My current solution will be to tell Enphase envoy not to worry about the consumption.I’ll get that from Tesla app

AEdennis

Jul 23, 2013
I've had Enphase and PW2 installed since 2017.

This is a common problem AFTER adding a PW2 to the Enphase.

The solution to get production/metering information is to run a line for power from the box that goes straight from where the Solar generates power BEFORE it connects to the Tesla gateway. You then plug in the Enphase monitor there...

Works great and goes out during power outages, but that's ok...

Hope that helps.

Oceanwolf

Oceanwolf
Sep 12, 2015
Morgan Hill, CA
I've had Enphase and PW2 installed since 2017.

This is a common problem AFTER adding a PW2 to the Enphase.

The solution to get production/metering information is to run a line for power from the box that goes straight from where the Solar generates power BEFORE it connects to the Tesla gateway. You then plug in the Enphase monitor there...

Works great and goes out during power outages, but that's ok...

Hope that helps.
The production CTs are in the envoy box, so it is before the solar power goes to gateway. No issues with production information. My solution was to connect to the envoy using the installer app and disable the consumption CTs. I now use the enlighten app for production only to see the individual panels and for the rest of the info I use Tesla app

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg
Dec 27, 2015
Cheyenne, WY
The production CTs are in the envoy box, so it is before the solar power goes to gateway. No issues with production information. My solution was to connect to the envoy using the installer app and disable the consumption CTs. I now use the enlighten app for production only to see the individual panels and for the rest of the info I use Tesla app
We have Enphase microinverters on our solar PV as well as wind turbines all of which feed into a single "combiner panel" before feeding into the Powerwall Gateway 2. We use Envoy only to monitor production. We have redundant consumption monitoring using SENSE (R) as well as the Tesla App. The former let's us identify specific devices. Both monitor overall renewable energy systems power production despite labeling all of it "solar". The Envoy system let's use monitor the actual solar PV production and we can extrapolate wind production by subtracting it from the total production in either the Tesla or SENSE Apps.

The Tesla APP does some rounding,so SENSE is more precise.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Mar 15, 2021
California
How are you able to use the Enlighten APP without paying $400 for access? I have both Enphase (microinverters) and Tesla PW. I just use the Tesla APP. But when I tried to access my microinverters to get panel specific details the APP wants me to pay $400.

BGbreeder

Jun 19, 2020
Bay Area
My app was enabled by my installer of the Enphase microinverters. Your site should have been registered by the installer as well, as far as I understand the process. You might call Enphase and ask. They will probably want the serial number of your Envoy(s).

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Jason Bloomberg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC