Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enphase vs solar edge inverter(s) [String vs Microinverters?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find a local installer who can do the same system as Tesla for about 7k more. They are using the same Hanwha 340 panels and powerwalls. I’m curious if they’re the local Tesla installer given the gear they are offering. The real question is they are willing to do n-phase micro inverters or the solar edge inverter. The system is 12.24kW and varying levels of sunlight--shading but sun is noticeably more intense in some places versus others. if I were to use this installer, which inverters are a better choice?

I find a local installer who can do the same system as Tesla for about 7k more. They are using the same Hanwha 340 panels and powerwalls. I’m curious if they’re the local Tesla installer given the gear they are offering. The real question is they are willing to do n-phase micro inverters or the solar edge inverter. The system is 12.24kW and varying levels of sunlight--shading but sun is noticeably more intense in some places versus others. if I were to use this installer, which inverters are a better choice?
Quick nitpick, but it’s Enphase not n-phase. In terms of what’s better, there are countless threads on this forum of the pros/cons of string vs. micro inverters, and at the end of the day there’s never a clear winner.

Reactions: tstolze and Zer0t
Yeah, in terms of "better", there's no consensus that Micros or a single SE will be better/worse in terms of energy.

To me, the trade-off is in terms of what happens when an inverter fails. If you have 30+ micros on your roof, it's likely at least 1 is going to fail in the years after install during the useful life of the system. So when one goes offline, you get to weigh whether or not replacing it is worth the labor/time to send someone up on your roof to swap one micro. The warranties for labor typically expire pretty fast. So while the actual part may be warrantied for 25 years, you're looking at out of pocket costs to fix it. So then you're sitting there thinking maybe you'll just wait for #2 or #3 to fail before you replace a bunch in one go.

But with SolarEdge, there's a reasonably high chance the single inverter is fine for the useful life of the system. But of course if you are unlucky and it fails, it could take your whole array down with it. And as we've seen repair turnaround can last a few days or a few weeks/months if you're really unlucky.

Reactions: Zer0t
I have a mixed system of string inverter and microinverters (separate installs at different times). In terms of reliability - no clear winner. I have had a string inverter fail (requiring replacement at about the 10 year mark) and I have had a single microinverter fail (requiring replacement of the entire series of micoorinterters at about the 2 year mark). I do not have the issue of multiple orientations nor of shading, so I have absolute freedom of choice.
Based on my own experience, I would choose a central string inverter located out of the weather to protect the electronics.

I have a mixed system of string inverter and microinverters (separate installs at different times). In terms of reliability - no clear winner. I have had a string inverter fail (requiring replacement at about the 10 year mark) and I have had a single microinverter fail (requiring replacement of the entire series of micoorinterters at about the 2 year mark). I do not have the issue of multiple orientations nor of shading, so I have absolute freedom of choice.
Based on my own experience, I would choose a central string inverter located out of the weather to protect the electronics.

Can you elaborate on why you had to replace all microinverters for failure of a single microinverter?

I have an older string inverter system (2009 install) and a newer microinverter system.
My string inverter went out a few years after it was installed (replaced under warranty) and the replacement is probably on its last legs (out of warranty).
My newer system uses Panasonic panels with Enphase panel mounted microinverters. My installer was a certified Panasonic installer so I have a 25 year warranty on the panels and inverters that includes parts, labor, shipping, etc.
I don't have a shading problem but that would probably be the most important factor.

Yeah, in terms of "better", there's no consensus that Micros or a single SE will be better/worse in terms of energy.

To me, the trade-off is in terms of what happens when an inverter fails. If you have 30+ micros on your roof, it's likely at least 1 is going to fail in the years after install during the useful life of the system. So when one goes offline, you get to weigh whether or not replacing it is worth the labor/time to send someone up on your roof to swap one micro. The warranties for labor typically expire pretty fast. So while the actual part may be warrantied for 25 years, you're looking at out of pocket costs to fix it. So then you're sitting there thinking maybe you'll just wait for #2 or #3 to fail before you replace a bunch in one go.

But with SolarEdge, there's a reasonably high chance the single inverter is fine for the useful life of the system. But of course if you are unlucky and it fails, it could take your whole array down with it. And as we've seen repair turnaround can last a few days or a few weeks/months if you're really unlucky.
Or you swap it yourself. Microinverters are not that expensive and very easy to replace

Why would you replace them all when only one failed?

Reactions: tstolze
Nah man... that roof is like 30 feet off the ground. Going to send someone up there that knows what they're doing heh.
I should have been a bit more clear. I was using the plural “you” with the condition that one is able to access their roof.

I’m on my roof weekly. Even shingled my own roof. Shallow pitch and single story. No issues for me to access anything. So if one of my microinverters fail, I’ll just swap it myself.

*IF* you are not roof space limited why not buy the the most solar panels for the same dollars? Assuming no crazy shading or orientation considerations why not pocket the difference or get more solar. E.g. if the price difference between either a "plain" string inverter from Tesla/SMA vs Solar Edge/Enphase allows you buy an additional panel or two why not?

Everyone offers system level monitoring these days. I consider this essential. Module level data helps with troubleshooting but who is doing the troubleshooting? Module level optimization seems to make sense only if you are usable space constrained. I *love* the idea of module level monitoring but I think I love more energy or lower costs even more.

Reactions: nwdiver
The decision on replacement of all of the microinverters (ten of them) was made by SunPower. One had failed (type of failure not disclosed) and the stated reason was that "this is a matched set". My experience with SunPower has been abysmal - they knew of the failed inverter but only succumbed to replacement when I reported decreased production to them. You read about all of the horror stories regards Tesla installs - I can provide multiples for SunPower.
One aside - as they were replacing the microinverters, they shattered one panel and quietly put it back in place and as they were about to depart, we had a rather tense "discussion" about the broken panel. They claimed it was broken on arrival - forgetting that I was actually on the roof when they arrived - taking a few pics and I had cleaned the panels the prior day.
You can find good and bad examples of behavior for every vendor and manufacturer - none of them are perfect - some clearly "less" on occassion.

• Informative
Reactions: MontyFloyd
If you get it installed how much energy does it generate on a sunny day?