Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enthusiast Non-buyers (gen3 waiters)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

Just curious how many others there are like me. I've een obsessed with Tesla since the Roadster. Read the forums, scour the streets, discuss to no end. Invested at the ipo and again on dips.

I dream of owning the S but it really makes no sense for me. I walk to work for 5+ years now, our Subaru is paid off and the wife drives it. So I'm a dreamer with no reason to get one, but damn the car is awesome I covet.

I'm a wannabe living vicariously through you guys! Though, I will buy gen 3!

I'm waiting for Generation 3 as well. I love the design of the Model S, but it's a bit too expensive and too large for me right now. In order to park the S within my existing infrastructure, I would need to do some serious renovation, so I am waiting for the smaller next-generation automobile.

As I was filling up my car with gas this morning before going to work, I thought how has this shift in EVs not taken off faster than it has? Americans are lazy, what's more lazy than plugging your car in when you get home after work and leaving fully charged in the morning and bypassing having to stop at the gas pump? hahaha. It really should connect more with people than it has. Also, I told myself to just put your head down and work and the years will fly by and one day the GENIII will be here.

I learned of Tesla from following SpaceX.

Nowadays I'm hoping my 2002 Camry will hold out long enough for me to buy a Gen III. The Model S is too much car AND too much money. Before the Camry I had an Intrepid and, once the kids left, that size car just couldn't be justified.

I've followed Tesla since 2007, but I was a grad student and recently married so Model S is a little out of the price range. I guess I could buy it if I didn't want to buy a house (or if I had waited several more years to have kids), but that's not going to happen. I still would like one and after my crowd funding/ad selling idea failed, I'm resigned to dream until I trip over a buried treasure. Who knows though, some stroke of good luck could happen.

As I was filling up my car with gas this morning before going to work, I thought how has this shift in EVs not taken off faster than it has? Americans are lazy, what's more lazy than plugging your car in when you get home after work and leaving fully charged in the morning and bypassing having to stop at the gas pump? hahaha. It really should connect more with people than it has. Also, I told myself to just put your head down and work and the years will fly by and one day the GENIII will be here.

It's doesn't allow you to say "errr durrr, I'm out of gas, better get some moar"

You know these people, the one where you take a road trip, and you've brought your phone charger so you can stay charged while pulling up navigation apps, they they NEED to use it instead of you because they are at 5% even though they just woke up, and of course they didn't bring their own?

Maybe I just try and get out of my personal bubble more than anyone else, but I believe this makes up a huge number of people, if not a majority. Life is hard for them.

I'm waiting for Gen3.
I have this habit that every new car I buy must be distinctly better than the previous one. Just being new doesn't cut it for me.
There is only one such vehicle out there now that qualifies but is out of reach.

I also hope Gen3 will come in more than one shape ... one 3 - door coupe for me please!

I also hope Gen3 will come in more than one shape ... one 3 - door coupe for me please!

The best car I owned was a 3 door coupe. We bought a 97 Acura Integra and I loved driving that car. I would be THRILLED if Tesla made a car about that size (more interior space of course with flat bottom). If they can squeeze a 50Khw battery in there and keep the weight down, it could go over 200 miles per charge. The Integra handled like a race car, but the ride comfort was a bit rough for long drives. I imagine Genlll could be quicker, faster and handle better (not to mention cheaper to drive).

I wonder how many people are going to end up having Tesla stock pay for their Tesla cars. Someone should start a thread to keep count of that. Kind of a cool idea, letting your car company buy your car for you. Someone who invested $10,000 in calls a couple months ago, would probably be able to buy several MS with the proceeds.

Every time I have bought a car, I have hoped it would be my last with a conventional ICE. I have followed Tesla from its infancy in the hope it would eventually produce the car which would finally be a practical alternative to petroleum. The Model S is a thing of beauty, but I haven't made enough off of TSLA to be willing to put that much cash into a car. I look forward to getting a Gen III or used Model S in a few years when I'm ready for a new car.

I am in this camp. Buying any car last year was not an option for me but because of options I could technically buy a S now but I would be in trouble when it came time to pay the tax man lol. Like Citizen T I feel like keeping my money in TSLA is a much better choice for me. I will buy a Gen 3 for sure. I will also buy the T-Truck when it gets here. Currently telling myself no matter how well the stock does I should not justify a model X ...(drilling this in my head now because I am worried I might break when it gets here and the stock is 200+

A Model S is too spendy flr me as well.

I'm HEV+ICEV but I'd like to get to PHEV+BEV, which at the moment would be Volt+Leaf. If I could get a Gen 3 with enough range to do a 105 mostly-highway trip even in winter it'd be our primary car. I'm not sure I can hold out that long. But I really want Tesla to succeed for altruistic reasons. A pure BEV company trying to make pure BEV work without any concerns about ICEV profits is the best way to push the industry.

The Roadster never did anything for me because: (1) I can't fit in an Elise; (2) the Roadster is "just" an Elise with worse panel gaps; and (3) I'm not interested in a sports car without a stick.

But the Model S? WOW! Gorgeous, seductive, innovative, brilliant, and practical (within its limitations, of course). THAT car has caught my imagination and attention like no other in recent memory.

So I, too, am here primarily as a curious enthusiast - but also to conduct reconnaissance for its perhaps being my mother's next car.

I caught this thread late in the game. I too fit in this category. I'm currently driving a paid off Saturn that I intend to drive until I get my Tesla. My self imposed timetable is to get one in 2015. Either I will get a new or used Model S or if there is good indication of when the Gen III version will appear I will definitely get that one. Some of the reason for 2015 is to make sure the $7500 tax credit is still in effect. Another reason is to get a solar panel system in place so my energy use is always paid for. I will likely get the panels this year.

I had put my reservation in for a Model S fairly early (P3872) before all the details were known and no pricing was set except for the $50k number. This was going to be a birthday present to myself (also 50).

I went to the October 2011 Drive event and fell in love with the car. I have been spending a lot of time reading and sometimes posting here and on the TM forums.

As more details became available, it became clear that the 40KwH version was going to be limited in range and performance. Then there was the lack of supercharging which would have made the car a pure city car. That combined with a few options and tax just put the car I really wanted (no longer the 40KwH) out of my range for what I want to pay for a car. I don't drive a lot so I am not really getting the benefit of the gas savings but this has also never really been an reason for me.

I do like smaller cars. I am driving a 2006 Golf GTI now (with 42k miles...) and I really loved this car until I drove the Model S. I now realize how archaic an ICE car really is.

I have thought about trading the GTI for a Leaf or Volt but they are both a step back and mine is paid for... I am carefully watching the TSLA stock price though. This might pay for my Tesla at some point. So I keep reading these forums and are very curious like all of you what the Gen3 will be like, the styling, the performance, the range, supercharging and of course when we will see the first and the production ones.

I am hoping for a smaller car, a hatchback (in function; it can look like the model S) with 2 or 4 doors, seating for 4 and enough headroom in the back just in case I need it. If there is going to be a performance model and/or awd and that is coming in around $50k, I will opt for that. I am also hoping for 300+ miles and of course supercharging capabilities.

I also had a reservation for a Model S, but it was too expensive for me, especially since we have no tax returns anymore (could have saved me €9000).
So decided to cancel and now looking really forward to the GEN III, I don't even dare to buy an ICE anymore in the meantime.