TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Enthusiastic but realistic view of an electric car owner’s life in Québec, Canada.

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mlaureti, Jan 15, 2015.

1. mlaureti

mlaureti Member

#1 mlaureti, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Link doesn't go anywhere for me, just get a blank page

3. richrootes

richrootes Member

Copy the text rather than clicking the hyperlink.......

4. SilverL

SilverL Member

I replied to you on the blog, great comments, and I hope there are more superchargers before F1 season starts up, or I'll have to drive the ICE car up.

5. Han Chen

Han Chen Member

Thank you for taking the time to posting that. It is very helpful to see the experiences of long time owners. I'm disappointed on the 50km loss of range in two years (over 11%). That seems like a lot. Have you talked to tesla about it?

6. Matias

Matias Active Member

"You can’t charge on 110 volt when the car is outside at -25℃". Why? All energy goes to battery warming?

7. mhpr262

mhpr262 Member

Those 50km of range loss must at least be partly due to the algorithm. Have you ever balanced the battery? If not, I am sure you will gain back at least half of your "lost" range.

8. invisik

invisik Member

Yes, I've seen my car draw upwards of 30 amps when heating in temperatures like that. Heating on 120 can happen but very slowly.

-m

9. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Nice job on the Blog Mario. I am sure other northern EV'ers will appreciate your work. Cheers

10. mlaureti

mlaureti Member

#10 mlaureti, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    That is probably the case, I gained about 1 km/hour of charge and when I left, the battery pack was cold. You need 220volt to warm up a cold battery pack or a very long ride.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, I balanced several times with the same results. I was expecting some gain like other people reported it. Service recommended I keep it charged to 80%.

11. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Good article but I don't understand the part I have put in bold below:

For me, driving 435 km in an electric car was absolutely priceless but it did not last long. The first year, my battery pack “stabilised” and by the end of the year, I had lost about 30 km of range. Recently, I lost a another 17km. I learned the hard way by discussing with other Tesla customers and reading forums: Battery pack degradation varies a lot from one battery pack to another. Even if, you really take care of the battery pack and follow Tesla recommendations to the letter the result will be the same.

Are you telling people it doesn't make any difference if you follow Tesla's recommendations since the result will be the same as not following their recommendations depending on the nature of the battery pack? That's how I read it but I don't agree with that. If you do a lot of range charges, or let it sit at 100% or empty, it does accelerate degradation. I don't think there's any doubt about that. Perhaps you did a lot of full cycling of your battery rather than drive it within the "daily driving" window?

I certainly hope I don't lose 50 km after two years and I haven't loss 30 km after one year like you did. Last time I did a range charge I was only down a few km's from when it was new about a year ago.

12. mlaureti

mlaureti Member

#12 mlaureti, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
    I daily charged at 60% during summer time for my commute. During winter, I charged between 70 to 75% depending on how cold it would be. My goal was to make sure I would not go lower than 50% daily. I only range charged for long trips and never left the pack at 100% more than a few minutes because this creates a stress on the pack.

I could have only charged at 80% daily and would have probably ended up with the same results.