Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entry & Exit into Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a guy with a rather large belly that is getting in the way of getting into and out of a Model S. How the hell does a owner with a big belly comfortability get into and out of your beautiful ride?

I can't see myself getting a Model S with the problem.

Please advise.

There’s an “easy entry” mode that you can enable, which basically puts the seat and steering wheel all the way back when you park to make some room for ingress/egress, but it’s a low car with a steep windshield rake and there just isn’t a whole lot to be done about it. I’m 6 foot 5, not so much with the big belly but it’s the same sort of problem. Basically I yank myself out by the steering wheel and then sort of roll/controlled fall out the door.

Don’t worry, it’s a Tesla so people will still think you’re cool. Just act like you meant to do it that way.

Before I tried to get into the Model S I put the seat all the way back & down as low as could be had....I then placed the steering wheel as far up & forward as possible and I still bump my belly and head trying to get in.
I don't think there is enough room between the door pillar and wheel to allow large individuals to get in & out.

Before I tried to get into the Model S I put the seat all the way back & down as low as could be had....I then placed the steering wheel as far up & forward as possible and I still bump my belly and head trying to get in.
I don't think there is enough room between the door pillar and wheel to allow large individuals to get in & out.

You might be a Model X sized dude. Them’s the breaks. I desperately want a roadster but can’t drive for sugar with my knees up at my ears. ;)

There’s an “easy entry” mode that you can enable, which basically puts the seat and steering wheel all the way back when you park to make some room for ingress/egress, but it’s a low car with a steep windshield rake and there just isn’t a whole lot to be done about it. I’m 6 foot 5, not so much with the big belly but it’s the same sort of problem. Basically I yank myself out by the steering wheel and then sort of roll/controlled fall out the door.

Don’t worry, it’s a Tesla so people will still think you’re cool. Just act like you meant to do it that way.
Yup. I'm not over 6 foot but when I sat in a roadster I couldnt see how to get in and out comfortably. My S isnt really a problem for me but my buddy whos 6 foot 5 has issues, which is one of the reasons he bought a chevy bolt instead of a Tesla.

I am a guy with a rather large belly that is getting in the way of getting into and out of a Model S. How the hell does a owner with a big belly comfortability get into and out of your beautiful ride?

Please advise.
You may want to try out a Model 3 and I think they are easier to get in and out of than an S. Strange as an S is a bigger car.

I rented a Model S for a few days and could never find a good way to get in/out gracefully. Maybe owners get the knack of it, but I always felt the issue was the B pillar. It's like you're doing gymnastics to get around that to get in the seat, plus not whack your head on the roof. At 6'2" and a "big boned" 275, the 3 works better for me, but it will never be as good as a CUV or hatch. That's one of the very few ways in which my Leaf is better for me, but I got the 3 despite the fact it's a sedan.

The Model X is sweet though. Might add that to your shopping list or hold for a Y.

Reactions: EARL99208

Please advise.

Use the easy entry feature to set the seat back pretty far. After you get in and step on the brake and buckle the seatbelt, you're in business.

I have a 2018 S and I'm just shy of 6'8" and 110Kg and I can get in fine with my easy entry setting. Although I'd argue it should be called easy exit since if OH leaves it in her seat position (she hates easy entry and doesn't have it on her profile) then I have to lean in to change that before access. Another example of simple programming that hasn't been done.

Reactions: EARL99208
Due to a recent left hip problem, I don't get into my S the usual way. I plop myself on the seat while facing away from the car, then I tuck my head (I'm six feet), lean back a bit (head barely clears), bring my legs inside, then rotate 90 degrees to the driving position. I hit the gym and go lap swimming a lot so no belly to deal with in my old age (73). Give it a shot, see if it works any better.

Due to a recent left hip problem, I don't get into my S the usual way. I plop myself on the seat while facing away from the car, then I tuck my head (I'm six feet), lean back a bit (head barely clears), bring my legs inside, then rotate 90 degrees to the driving position. I hit the gym and go lap swimming a lot so no belly to deal with in my old age (73). Give it a shot, see if it works any better.

I thought that was the usual way! :)