Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Environment as a factor in EV purchase Decision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
decreasing green house gases, and hence lack of guilt of driving all the time is my number one factor. go environment!

a smarter, better writer than me summed things up much better..
" the real security of a society is not measured by the number of guns or laws it has but by the assurance of our daily life: stable health, adequate affordable food, safe water, affordable heat and shelter, political and economic stability, a stable climate, a safe, functioning natural environment, etc; all of these are interdependent, and all are fully dependent on an intact ecosystem".

if the government refuses to pay attention (energy independence is a euphemism to drill drill drill ) then the people have to. when ecological ideas that usually lull people to sleep or cause their brain to ring hyperbole! hyperbole! when someone is talking to them about climate change, are viewed through a security lens, people actually might sit up and take notice.

I very much like Tesla because it's a car brand that managed to build "green" cars that are at the same time also very performing from the point of view of speed, acceleration, luxury and so on.
Of course also being very much concerned about global warming I cannot pretend that a single person could afford to spend almost 100.000 euros (or dollars) for an electric car without having the same performance standard (or even better) of all kinds with respect to ICE cars.
From this point of view I very much like the attitude of Elon saying that Tesla cars have to be not only the best EV cars but the best cars in absolute.
This is the right attitude to make EV cars spread all over the world and help to work out the global warming problem.

For me it's
1. Environment (I charge my car from 100% renewables through RECs)
2. Not being a fossil fuel customer (or at least less of one)
3. Fun of driving. + utility
4. Supporting the EV ecosystem

The model s at first and then the X is the first car that fits my prios. I sold a convertible Benz and got a Prius while waiting for Tesla (should have been a Leaf but what's done is done).

I am too close of a witness to the effects of global warming on vulnerable folks worldwide and have been too close to human&civil rights violations driven by oil companies to go to a chevron / shell station and not feel sick when giving them my money. I work with scientists who have good data the environmental risk is huge, and I am a mildly logical person. Not the least, I have children and am not unfettered by the future.

And I wish for $10/ gal every day, or anything to help us cut the addiction. But would buy the Tesla even if gas was free at the pump.

X1188. Sorry if this is terse, sent from my phone.

Last edited:
I’m guessing this thread addresses the title in the OP:

What it's all about

And IMHO Elon Musk’s latest tweets on Climate Change are also appropriate in this context:

elon tweets.png

Source:

Elon Musk (elonmusk) on Twitter

Last edited:
It's been mentioned and I'm sure it's not #1 for most but the stop supporting OPEC thing is #1 for me. The best American kids are dying and losing limbs to make this corrupted culture rich while they strap bombs to their children to kill us.

How is the Iraq war about oil??

Think.

Do we now own the oil wells? Have we confiscated the Iraqi oil? How was that war even remotely about oil?
What percentage of the US foreign oil supply comes from the ME and/or Iraq?

While I support energy independence (which is entirely possible by developing domestic resources), the Iraq war was not about oil.

For me it's
1. Environment (I charge my car from 100% renewables through RECs)
2. Not being a fossil fuel customer (or at least less of one)
3. Fun of driving. + utility
4. Supporting the EV ecosystem

The model s at first and then the X is the first car that fits my prios. I sold a convertible Benz and got a Prius while waiting for Tesla (should have been a Leaf but what's done is done).

I am too close of a witness to the effects of global warming on vulnerable folks worldwide and have been too close to human&civil rights violations driven by oil companies to go to a chevron / shell station and not feel sick when giving them my money. I work with scientists who have good data the environmental risk is huge, and I am a mildly logical person. Not the least, I have children and am not unfettered by the future.

And I wish for $10/ gal every day, or anything to help us cut the addiction. But would buy the Tesla even if gas was free at the pump.

My motivations are similar to yours:
  1. Global warming - environmental issues (a liveable world for our children and grandchildren)
  2. Demonstrate the maturity of the technology (I live in a zero carbon solar house and generate PV power for the same reason)
  3. Support the developers of leading edge green technology (vote with your wallet and encourage others to do the same)
  4. Effectively carbon free transport
  5. Compelling performance and packaging
From a policy perspective, we need to increase the price of carbon pollution, quickly and substantially - I have studied global warming in depth and I am really frightened for future generations - there is no way that civilization will survive what is in the pipeline for the next hundred years in the business-as-usual scenario - I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem

How is the Iraq war about oil??

Think.

Do we now own the oil wells? Have we confiscated the Iraqi oil? How was that war even remotely about oil?
What percentage of the US foreign oil supply comes from the ME and/or Iraq?

While I support energy independence (which is entirely possible by developing domestic resources), the Iraq war was not about oil.

+1 .

My reasons

- Silence! (and Better quieter sound quality where faint notes can be subtle and clear)
- Less noise pollution (to encourage less noisy evironment)
- Electric Technology (less friction, less moving parts, less maintenance, less waste[oil, filters, parts)
- Less proximity pollution (drinking fresh mountain stream water is good, breathing it is deadly, I do care about breathing stinky dirty polution point blank in densly populated areas as opposed to particles being deposited a thousand miles into the ocean where it will be processed by various systems other than my lungs)
- Not using gas, skip the cartel collusion gas prices and the war mongering (Imo, Operation AJAX was 100% about OIL, Iraq was in part about Oil, but moslty from a GeoStrategic position and upholding the Petro-$ perspective, and dont forget about the Red Line Agreement which shows that motivations behind the scene can differ from what most people think. Thats my opinon anyway even if others disagree.).
- Support a Company that actually Innovates
- Performance
- Energy independance (more local self-sufficiency)

So yes, the environment (noise pollution and air pollution) is a factor I am actually taking into account

My reasons before I bought the car:

1) Investment in the future (Not so much environmental, but investing in technology that doesn't depend on a depleting non-renewal resource.)
2) Price / Performance
3) Technophile

Now that I've had it for a while, the reason I would never switch back is:

1) Convenience of never having to go to a gas station.
2) Paying for gas became repulsive. (It's like having to pay to use a bathroom.)
3) Performance.
4) Investment in the future. (Still strongly believe in it, but the others became stronger on their own merit).

Tesla appeals to me because I'm both a technology and a car enthusiast. I am also concerned about the environment, but not to the point where I'd chain myself to a bulldozer or camp out in a tree in protest. If/when I get my Gen III sedan, I also plan on looking into a solar array for my condo (or wherever I'm living at that time) both to offset the electricity costs, and reduce my carbon footprint (although I'm not as fanatical about that aspect as some). The fact that it's an American company also gives me a sense of pride, and proves that the U.S. is not irrelevant in terms of the development of cutting edge energy and transportation technologies.

Other than the looks, performance, individuality, green(isn) credentials and potential fuel savings, it enticing to me for the tax incentives when running it as a company car. A similarly specified Porsche, Audi or BMW would cost an absolute fortune in corporation tax and personal tax.

So being EV allows me to afford such a car - and I'm sure there are plenty in Europe that have the same thinking.

I did buy my Roadster because it was an EV. After a conversion I did I am convinced an EV is the best way we can have a positive impact on the environment. Then I worry about future availability of oil and I hate the idea that we still spend over $1b/day on imported oil. I want to keep my money here in this country.

But the environment topped my list.

I would NEVER spend $50k+ on a car that burned oil... I spent ~$100k on my P85 and have no regrets. Sure... the extra ~$20k for all the upgrades had nothing to do with the environment but I wanted to support Tesla and see the GEN III get built.... and for showing off :smile:

Thanks for the link. It leads to a page with the results of a "survey" done in Sep 2013 but whoever designed the survey seems to be unaware of Tesla. Quote:

-----------
"To utilize a BEV, respondents had to meet three additional requirements:

Access to parking and an outlet specifically at home.
Drive a maximum of 60 or fewer miles on weekdays. Most of today's BEVs have driving ranges between 60 and 90 miles. 69% of U.S. drivers have weekday range requirements safely within this range.
Own more than one vehicle or infrequently take long trips. A second vehicle enables longer driving ranges during vacations and trips. 65% of U.S. households have more than one vehicle."
----------