Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Envy and justification to own a model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jtdiddy,

Life is too short...when test driving the car, it is surreal and relaxing even in traffic. I had friends pass away and they regretted so much. True friends and family will always know I made the decision thought fully and not spur of the moment. Too all those that will question why and I have to defend myself, I will just smile and say that they are entitled to their own opinion but this is my life and not yours...driving the safest SUV at the current moment...thanks for everybody support...you all are a true community of adopters

Jtdiddy,

Life is too short...when test driving the car, it is surreal and relaxing even in traffic. I had friends pass away and they regretted so much. True friends and family will always know I made the decision thought fully and not spur of the moment. Too all those that will question why and I have to defend myself, I will just smile and say that they are entitled to their own opinion but this is my life and not yours...driving the safest SUV at the current moment...thanks for everybody support...you all are a true community of adopters

Exactly. My wife and I are professionals and make a good living. We're not stupid rich but live comfortably. We've saved and have no debt (aside from our mortgage) and all important things are taken care of (e.g. kids college fund, life insurance etc...) . In my late 30's and early 40's (i'm 44 now), my wife and I were always concerned about people's perception from us and tried to be modest in our cars.

But now, we've come to the stage of our lives, where are more secure in who we are and not overly concerned that much anymore of what other's think. Most, if not all of our friends and family, are happy and excited for us.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the some additional tax breaks that the X gets and threat of fed tax credits going away soon, we probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger but i'm so happy we did it and not looking back.

• Love
Reactions: WINGIT and vrykolas
Like my avatar and actual dog say, "kick some grass over that sh*t and move on." As jt said, you're in a stage of your lives when you aren't overly concerned of others' perceptions. And, if they are less than happy about your decision, then you gotta wonder if they're worth having in your life. Trim the fat!!

It's funny because I've always been one of the most practical people out of my friends and I make more than 90% of them and yet I drive a very modest SUV which was actually the first car I had to buy as an adult (I was already in my late 30s and always had company cars). The car was essentially paid for by my company car allowance and paid off well over 3 years ago! So, when I told a few folks I was getting the X as a second car, the reactions have all been "IT'S ABOUT TIME you treated yourself!" LOL! Like jtdiddy, the additional tax breaks (I have a side LLC), along with the fed tax credit going away soon, just pushed my decision up about half a year.

Congrats to all who are excited and here's to hoping our cars don't end up in service centers often! :)

We too had two model 3's reserved and were hoping the timing would work out for my daughter to take over our current car in January when she got her license and we got our model 3. Obviously that didn't work out, still waiting.

The model X is the Tesla we wanted had Price been equal, took us a couple of weeks to finally pull the trigger but the reality is we had been on the fence for 4 years to buy a Tesla.

Only had to deal with one negative person, the mother in law, who is negative about everything. She just knew that we couldn't afford it while having absolutely no clue what our income, networth, or debt was.

My wife for the first time ever put her foot down and basically told her mom to shut up, nicely. Problem solved.

Everyone else I talked to during the decision faze told me to go for it, life is too short. Maybe we got that reaction because even though we live nicely we live well below our means and never act better than other people for financial reasons.

It totally went against everything I stand for financially, but having a couple people I know be diagnosed with cancer gave me the attitude of "life really is too short".

No regrets.

We too had two model 3's reserved and were hoping the timing would work out for my daughter to take over our current car in January when she got her license and we got our model 3. Obviously that didn't work out, still waiting.

The model X is the Tesla we wanted had Price been equal, took us a couple of weeks to finally pull the trigger but the reality is we had been on the fence for 4 years to buy a Tesla.

Only had to deal with one negative person, the mother in law, who is negative about everything. She just knew that we couldn't afford it while having absolutely no clue what our income, networth, or debt was.

My wife for the first time ever put her foot down and basically told her mom to shut up, nicely. Problem solved.

Everyone else I talked to during the decision faze told me to go for it, life is too short. Maybe we got that reaction because even though we live nicely we live well below our means and never act better than other people for financial reasons.

It totally went against everything I stand for financially, but having a couple people I know be diagnosed with cancer gave me the attitude of "life really is too short".

No regrets.

AMEN!

Reactions: WINGIT
Sub,

I am sorry to hear about your friends. We have had relatives and friends also die at an early age and they DID regret a lot of things. Like other big ticket items, as long as you know it's a good buy, then take the plunge. I think as current or future Tesla owners, this community is unique...let us know how much you love your new car...

Thanks. Doesn't hurt that we have made enough on TSLA to buy our model X even though I would never sell our stock to buy the vehicle. Solar on the roof that has already paid for itself in the 6.5 years we have had it makes driving free also!

I use to think I could change people's minds with logic and facts and I wasted a lot of time and energy trying. I don't bother much anymore, prefer to mock them and entertain myself instead.

I'm in the same boat. The first thing I did after ordering it was look on etsy and ebay to see if I could buy ford stickers to go over the tesla logos so most would think it was a ford. It still think there should be a badge swap feature. Family have directly asked if it was a 100k car. Hard not to say yes. Sometimes I say I don't care. I've had enough bad luck trying to buy green cars. I bought a new impreza a few years ago because it was the smallest awd I could find. A month later it was totalled in a flood of seawater. Then I bought a tdi passat. Well we all know how that ended. I too am voting with my wallet whether it's really the greenest choice or not... I just highlight that all those fancy trucks driving around are nearly the same price as the tesla. Many complain about how the ev rebates are just for the rich. I emphasize that thy're to encourage adoption of the technology but people hear what they want. Haters gonna hate and all that.

Reactions: WINGIT and vrykolas