Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Envy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its one of the seven deadly sins, however that's what happen this weekend at a Mercedes Benz dealership with one of its dealers.

Back story, my mom drives a C-Class and it was time for her to refresh her lease. As usual she invites me (master negotiator) to broker the deal between her and her dealer. This dealership is the main showroom in our area, Its 3 floors, all glass walls, its beautiful. This is the type of place where people come in to buy an AMG-GT out of inventory and pay cash. My mom got to the dealership before me for her 2pm appointment. I pulled up in the M3 a few minutes later and backed into a spot directly in front the main door. I spotted my mom getting checked in with the dealer and his manager so I walked over and introduced myself hoping to get down to business. The dealer made some joke with mom about will she be picking up more that one car today (she's had a few MB's) but then he turned to me and said, I see YOU'VE already gotten a new car so I know I cant sell you anything today. hahaha! Yea, you're right ICEcream man, lets get down to business. While working the deal with ICEcream, he kept asking me about the M3, about charging, about range, how far a road trip I've done, how fast, etc...it was a bit weird coming from a dealer but REALLY weird coming from a dealer in the middle of trying to close me (mom) on a deal...so jokingly I told him lets wrap this up and I'll take him for a ride. I was supersized at how quickly he jumped at the offer.

Anyway, there was no deal to be had today and we got up to walk away...Mr. ICEcream turned to me and said, hey can I still come check it out, pointing to the M3 outside. Sure, we walked out together I told him to hop in the front seat and took him for a quick 10min demo up and down the 4 lane highway next to his dealership. Instant torque, regen, autopilot, switching lanes, stopping, showed off the HVAC, pulled up the supercharger network on the nav, he asked about driving to DC so I punched that into the nav and car only needed 1 SC stop for 15min to get to destination. By the time I dropped him back off at the dealership he had that look on his face...you know the one that you had the first time you drove this car? yea...that look! We kept talking features, at this point we were parked in front of the dealership for about 5min, twice the dealer assistant signaled to him that he was needed inside and the dude just wouldn't leave. Eventually he asked me if I had a card because he had more questions. I told him no, so he hurried inside to get me one of his but signaled for me at the other end of the building next to the service entrance (his manager was watching) he handed me the card and told me to email him ASAP so he has my contact because "this is definitely going to me his next car" hehehe

Got em!!!!
Its one of the seven deadly sins, however that's what happen this weekend at a Mercedes Benz dealership with one of its dealers.

Back story, my mom drives a C-Class and it was time for her to refresh her lease. As usual she invites me (master negotiator) to broker the deal between her and her dealer. This dealership is the main showroom in our area, Its 3 floors, all glass walls, its beautiful. This is the type of place where people come in to buy an AMG-GT out of inventory and pay cash. My mom got to the dealership before me for her 2pm appointment. I pulled up in the M3 a few minutes later and backed into a spot directly in front the main door. I spotted my mom getting checked in with the dealer and his manager so I walked over and introduced myself hoping to get down to business. The dealer made some joke with mom about will she be picking up more that one car today (she's had a few MB's) but then he turned to me and said, I see YOU'VE already gotten a new car so I know I cant sell you anything today. hahaha! Yea, you're right ICEcream man, lets get down to business. While working the deal with ICEcream, he kept asking me about the M3, about charging, about range, how far a road trip I've done, how fast, etc...it was a bit weird coming from a dealer but REALLY weird coming from a dealer in the middle of trying to close me (mom) on a deal...so jokingly I told him lets wrap this up and I'll take him for a ride. I was supersized at how quickly he jumped at the offer.

Anyway, there was no deal to be had today and we got up to walk away...Mr. ICEcream turned to me and said, hey can I still come check it out, pointing to the M3 outside. Sure, we walked out together I told him to hop in the front seat and took him for a quick 10min demo up and down the 4 lane highway next to his dealership. Instant torque, regen, autopilot, switching lanes, stopping, showed off the HVAC, pulled up the supercharger network on the nav, he asked about driving to DC so I punched that into the nav and car only needed 1 SC stop for 15min to get to destination. By the time I dropped him back off at the dealership he had that look on his face...you know the one that you had the first time you drove this car? yea...that look! We kept talking features, at this point we were parked in front of the dealership for about 5min, twice the dealer assistant signaled to him that he was needed inside and the dude just wouldn't leave. Eventually he asked me if I had a card because he had more questions. I told him no, so he hurried inside to get me one of his but signaled for me at the other end of the building next to the service entrance (his manager was watching) he handed me the card and told me to email him ASAP so he has my contact because "this is definitely going to me his next car" hehehe

Got em!!!!

Beautiful.

Keep an eye on the Detroit Auto Show this week. There's already been some major announcements from car companies going full EV. I check these two sites for all things EV, both will be publishing updates from the show:

Inside EVs | Electric Vehicle News, Reviews, and Reports

Electrek

Warning: Putting partisan hat on now.

EV success is no longer a question. Now, the only question is how long it'll be before ICE cars are considered legacy. I think it's 5 years. I think in 5 years, most considering a new car will buy an EV.

But then again I'm a hippie, Gore Vidal Liberal.

Peace and love,

In 2017 I had to take my grandfather to the Jeep dealership to discuss his vehicle. I brought him in my 2017 S90D.

I took 4 sales people for a ride in my car. They were blown away. I said mine was the “slow” one. They admitted that they can see what the appeal is for Tesla.

63 is an “older driver”. That’s like never trusting anyone older than....

I’m about 70, scared the crap out of my 38 year old son when I showed him the acceleration from 30 to 100 on my road as the corn fields flew by. Then I set him up w AP and he freaked out again. His next car will be a Model Y.

Since I’ve had this machine I have lost my ability to drive without AP. I find myself weaving all over the road like bumper cars with the lane edges walls. And I find the most dangerous thing about Tesla is forgetting when AP is not turned on.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels like that. Once you get used to the car doing much of the driving, going to a car without it is a bit of an awakening when almost rear-ending someone's car waiting for the car to start slowing down while using regular cruise control.

As an older driver, I chose M3 for the tech it offers. Once done with the learning curve, I see it is easier and safer to drive. The way I see it, older folks who have trouble driving may be able to continue helped by full autopilot when it is available.

I know the feeling, finally slow down; driving at over140km and don’t even feel anything
Same here. Could be an "age" thing, I guess... <grin> The first few times under AP, I wanted to control the steering wheel. Trust is gained slowly. Still nervous about letting AP move me from lane to lane whether are barriers on both the outer and inner lanes, but I'll get there.

EV success is no longer a question. Now, the only question is how long it'll be before ICE cars are considered legacy. I think it's 5 years. I think in 5 years, most considering a new car will buy an EV.
More like 10 to 20. Remember the average lifespan of a car is over 10 years now. I doubt many people are going to toss their ICE just to get an EV. Also, the cost of a decent range electric has to come down quite a bit more to compete with a high efficiency ICE. Americans seem to be awful at calculating their true cost of ownership (aka math) and that puts EVs at the disadvantage.

When was GREEN a color choice for a Model 3?
Not yet. It's a wishful thinking ;)

Remember the average lifespan of a car is over 10 years now.
Read once again what he wrote:
"... most considering a new car will buy an EV".

Yes, it will take a lot longer until the most cars on the roads are BEV's.

Screen Shot 2019-01-14 at 6.28.54 PM.png
Well, I think your right. For years now I have guessed that '22-'24 would be the "tipping point" for all the other industrialized countries.
OMG!

I absolutely adore, the green. Hey Tesla. Please, make a car in this color!!!

• Love
Reactions: Model 3
So I was nervous at 63 to get my Model 3 and people on TMC have been awesome for the most part. We older drivers would be more amenable to the learning experience if you could control the arrogant and rude guys on here that respond "RTFM" to our questions. It would be so nice to have a beginners forum that was designed to assist NON GEEK , "no I didn't do a year of research" buyers. It can be very intimidating. But again, for the most part, wonderful people. You tube helped me a lot too.

I appreciate your candor, and I agree it would be good to have a "Plain English" section for NON Geeks. However that still wouldn't apply to my mom (who's almost 60). She doesn't really do computers very well so she definitely wouldn't spend her day reading forums so little nuances like turning on the front defroster and its blue and have to long press to turn it red would frustrate the heck out of her. She would hate her $60,000 car cant defrost a misty window (unwittingly because she didn't know how to switch from blue to red). These simple things if left unchecked (I live 1hr away from her) would eventually turn to buyers remorse and a longing for a simple click of a knob. For my dear mom, the coolest feature in her Mercedes Benz is the analogue clock in the center console.