Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EO mini pro charging issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had an EO mini pro installed a few days ago and it does not seem to want to start a new charge without me turning it off at the mains and resetting it.

Obviously I'll need to speak to EO to see if there is a fault but I noticed in the instructions that there is a leaflet saying "Do you have a Tesla 3? If so we recommend leaving it in sentry mode as scheduled charging may not work if the car has gone to sleep".

In view of this, I'm not clear if the issue is with the charger or the car. I don't really want to leave the car in sentry mode waking up the neighbours every time a cat goes past. Is the issue of the car not starting a charge while in sleep mode somthing that others are aware of?

I presume it's the EO mini pro 2?

I use this model and have done for a few months now and have had zero issues with the charge point, sleep or no sleep, anytime of day. It just works.

I don't use the EO app though, it's set to always have the charge point supplying power for me. I just use the in car scheduling, but that suits my situation. Have you used the app to set times etc?

Yes. it's the Pro, I am using the app partly because I want it to charge on the off peak tarrif which is difficult to do via scheduked departure in the car

Ah ok.

I don't use departure time in the car, I use scheduled start time in the car to match when off-peak rates start.

However to narrow down any fault... Might be worth trying to disable the schedule times in the app just to see if that fixes the problem - albeit obviously not ideal. I say this as I did have many problems when I first used the app but it did improve in the last update.

I've got the same charger and its done this to me twice so far. (Only been using it 2 weeks)

However, I have noticed that each time its done it, i've been messing around with the app on that day.

The first time was changing off peak charging around.

The second time was when I set the SOC.

If I don't touch it and leave it set as scheduled charging, it "seems" to be working fine, between half 12 and half 4 it just starts.

When the guy installed it he told me that my wifi signal to it was "sketchy" - so I'm wondering if its something to do with that or not.

Oh i'll add that after messing around with it for 20 minutes the other day in the pouring rain, I can guarantee its the charger and not the car, at least in my case and I would imagine yours too.

Last edited:
I've got the predecessor, the EO Mini and the Smart Home Hub, and it wakes the car from sleep fine, starts charging at 00:30 as expected. I don't have Sentry on at home.

What's slightly interesting is that if the car doesn't need to charge much, it finishes charging and goes back to sleep before 04:30, the EO charger 'stopping charging' at 04:30 wakes the car back up again, then it goes back to sleep within 15 minutes or so.

Had an EO mini pro installed a few days ago and it does not seem to want to start a new charge without me turning it off at the mains and resetting it.

Obviously I'll need to speak to EO to see if there is a fault but I noticed in the instructions that there is a leaflet saying "Do you have a Tesla 3? If so we recommend leaving it in sentry mode as scheduled charging may not work if the car has gone to sleep".

In view of this, I'm not clear if the issue is with the charger or the car. I don't really want to leave the car in sentry mode waking up the neighbours every time a cat goes past. Is the issue of the car not starting a charge while in sleep mode somthing that others are aware of?
Hi Caterman, Charlotte from EO Charging here! 👋

Really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing issues with your charger. Keen to get you up and running ASAP - if you haven't already done so, please contact our Technical & Customer Support team directly on support@eocharging[.com] or +44 (0)333 77 20383. Our experts would be able to remotely look into this for you 👊

Thanks,
Charlotte - EO Charging

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bantam and MrBadger

That is out of date incorrect information and is based on an issue that Model 3s had that was rectified with a software update some time back. (The issue was that if the car had gone to sleep it wouldn't wake if offered a timed charge from an external charge point. The workaround was to avoid letting the car sleep by leaving Sentry Mode active.) When you speak to EO I suggest that you let them know that this is not an issue they should be highlighting with customers anymore.

Thanks for your responses and apologies for the delay in coming back to you but work has been super busy.
For clarity I am in an MS 2020, as far as I can see there is no scheduled charge start in the car menu, only scheduled departure time?
I have been experimenting with the charging and speaking to Tesla who say there is nothing wrong with the car. More often than not, if I plug the car in it won't start to charge until I have reset the main switch, then it starts fine and will also do an off peak charge.
I have a wifi booster in the garage about 6 feet from the charger and it gives a good strong signal (I have no problem downloading software updates in the car which is over twice as far away from the booster).
Charlotte I will take it up again with EO when I can find time to contact them in working hours , at the moment, that's just not possible.

I might be speaking out of turn here. I have a Zappi and if the charge is timed by the Zappi, a departure timer set in the car may well prevent the Zappi timer from being able to run.
not sure if the same is true in your case.

I have this charger and didn't like the recommended app. I use the ev.energy app, set to charge when the electricity is at 0.055p per kW (Go Faster) and it works a treat.
I second this, never used the eo app since the initial set up. Works a treat with the ev.energy app and Ocotpus Agile. 6 + months of waking the car to charge and never once has it failed.

Reactions: Empato
I presume it's the EO mini pro 2?

I use this model and have done for a few months now and have had zero issues with the charge point, sleep or no sleep, anytime of day. It just works.

I don't use the EO app though, it's set to always have the charge point supplying power for me. I just use the in car scheduling, but that suits my situation. Have you used the app to set times etc?
I’ve had a similar problem, but only started after latest S/W update, starts charging from setting scheduled charging from the. Car, bu stops after 1/2 hr(normal time takes M3 to sleep, I’ve tried a few things, but it only works when sentry mode is on, which is a real pain, as once charging is completed sentry mode uses more power,

I have had issues before when Wi-Fi was not working as well

I second this, never used the eo app since the initial set up. Works a treat with the ev.energy app and Ocotpus Agile. 6 + months of waking the car to charge and never once has it failed.

The EO app is poor, and they don't seem too fussed about improving it. I'm using Octopus Go! so the app is set to start at 00:30 and charge until 04:30. I set the charge level and leave the car and the charger to get on with it.

I've mostly given up with solar charging as the EO software (and hardware) leaves a lot to be desired and ended up costing me money, not saving it.

Yeah the app is utter garbage. Anytime I change anything it seems to break my charger and I have to power cycle it.

But, now that its set to only charge during off peak, it works a treat.

Only thing that is frustrating is when I am going on a road trip and want to precondition, I need to remember to change the charger to run 24/7 and also make sure its actually working (started charging) before I go to bed. Otherwise I might wake up in the morning to a non charged car....had that happen twice already. Not fun.

Hello. I’m having major issues with my eo mini pro 2 and model 3 with scheduled overnight charging. Been golden since pick-up on NYE, but last night and today, just won’t charge on the schedule. Error messages on screen of car. If I take the schedule off it will charge, but I’m on octopus go, so really need to sort this. Only way I can start a charge is to turn the charger off at the mains and start again. Absolutely ridiculous. I am clueless as to how to solve this. I’m awaiting a call back from EO tech help, but won’t hold my breath. I know the charge port and cables are fine as it will charge normally without a schedule. As soon as I get home from wherever, plug it in for a scheduled charge, boom, error message. Then I’m in the garage turning it off at the mains. Did anyone get a solution. It’s definitely not the car or cables - this has got to be an EO issue. I’ve had the wall charger since April 21, no issues at all. Golden. I haven’t changed any settings in the eo app, nothings changed at all - except the wall charger doesn’t work!
0FA5DEC3-E748-40C3-8470-1930926CE57A.jpeg
0FA5DEC3-E748-40C3-8470-1930926CE57A.jpeg

Hello. I’m having major issues with my eo mini pro 2 and model 3 with scheduled overnight charging. Been golden since pick-up on NYE, but last night and today, just won’t charge on the schedule. Error messages on screen of car. If I take the schedule off it will charge, but I’m on octopus go, so really need to sort this. Only way I can start a charge is to turn the charger off at the mains and start again. Absolutely ridiculous. I am clueless as to how to solve this. I’m awaiting a call back from EO tech help, but won’t hold my breath. I know the charge port and cables are fine as it will charge normally without a schedule. As soon as I get home from wherever, plug it in for a scheduled charge, boom, error message. Then I’m in the garage turning it off at the mains. Did anyone get a solution. It’s definitely not the car or cables - this has got to be an EO issue. I’ve had the wall charger since April 21, no issues at all. Golden. I haven’t changed any settings in the eo app, nothings changed at all - except the wall charger doesn’t work! View attachment 759207View attachment 759207

Do you mean you have a schedule set on the EO charge point or on the car? If it's the charge point scheduling then just leave it without a schedule. Whilst waiting for the charge point to be fixed you can then setup the car timer to start the charging. If your car is a LR then you can add 40% in the 4 hour window (SR+ 56%) ... so add 40 or 56 to your present rate of charge to see what you can potentially fit in the battery without going into peak rate.

Do you mean you have a schedule set on the EO charge point or on the car? If it's the charge point scheduling then just leave it without a schedule. Whilst waiting for the charge point to be fixed you can then setup the car timer to start the charging. If your car is a LR then you can add 40% in the 4 hour window (SR+ 56%) ... so add 40 or 56 to your present rate of charge to see what you can potentially fit in the battery without going into peak rate.
I am using the EO app to charge. Never had issues before last night/this morning. It is a LR model. Not sure by what you mean by setting car timer for charge. Sorry - never used anything other than the app to charge