Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EO Mini Pro Tethered - Keeping cable tidy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I'm looking at getting the EO Mini Pro installed. I was just wondering what you were using to keep your cables looking tidy?

In my head I am envisaging something like a wall mount for a hosepipe would work.

Any photos would be great!

Thanks

Chris

Hi,

I'm looking at getting the EO Mini Pro installed. I was just wondering what you were using to keep your cables looking tidy?

In my head I am envisaging something like a wall mount for a hosepipe would work.

Any photos would be great!

Thanks

Chris
Why not go untethered, it's looks much smarter?
IMG_20191213_123646.jpg

The cable organiser looks perfect, cheers!

I do prefer the look of untethered (and don't have the car yet so not sure if this will ring true) but I worry that I'll get fed up removing the cable from somewhere, plugging it in at both ends, then rolling it back up and storing it away somewhere again when it is damp. Maybe it is an unnecessary worry.

I think you are right. Tethered is so much more convenient. Having to get the cable out and plug in both ends every time would annoy me #firstworldproblems :)
I had a cabinet made. This one is only for the cables ( charger is on the other side of the wall inside the garage) but there is no reason you could not have one for the charger and the cables. especially with an EO mini which is so small.
20200201_164725.jpg

20200202_125151.jpg

I think you are right. Tethered is so much more convenient. Having to get the cable out and plug in both ends every time would annoy me #firstworldproblems :)
I had a cabinet made. This one is only for the cables ( charger is on the other side of the wall inside the garage) but there is no reason you could not have one for the charger and the cables. especially with an EO mini which is so small. View attachment 509212

View attachment 509210

Looks cool! Where did you get it and how much if you don't mind me asking?

View attachment 509191 Pic of it on my wall...it's helpful as you can feed the cable through if you want to

This looks great.

Question for all. . . .

I’m planning on using the UMC full time with just the cable and T2 connector outside and the UMC block and plug inside the garage. I’m creating a channel so the cable will just fit under the garage door.

Will this holder provide enough weather protection for the UMC type 2 connector?

This looks great.

Question for all. . . .

Will this holder provide enough weather protection for the UMC type 2 connector?
Easily. All the connectors on rapid chargers are similarly housed, and are outside in all weathers.

It’s not recommended to keep the rubber cover on the plug when outside. That’s a dust cover, not a water cover. There have been stories of the rubber cover filling up with water outside if the plug faces downwards! The Type 2 plug is designed with drainage.

Reactions: LK06
Another thing to watch is vermin taking a fancy to electrical cable. We once had a semi buried pond pump cable that (I believe) a squirrel took a fancy to. I bought an inline connector to repair the cable, but eventually ran out of cable to repair. No idea why it took a fancy to the cable, but once it was found, it was a regular feast.

I'm wary of that with the UMC and extension cable. The latter is suspended from the roof of the garage, but a UMC is less easy to protect. The type 2 that comes with the Tesla wall connector is a beast of a cable, but a Rolec we have access to is less robust. Personally I would be wary of running these more flexible cables along the ground unless absolutely necessary.

Reactions: Roy W.
Looks cool! Where did you get it and how much if you don't mind me asking?
It was custom made for me by a local engineering firm that I have dealings with called Pure Theater in Telford. They mainly make home cinema equipment like racking and projector lifts. A lot of cut folded powder coated aluminium hense the design of the cabinet. I got a bit of a deal based on some work I did for them but they said it would be in the order of £400 if anyone else wanted one. Bespoke is never cheap sadly.
Given how ubiquitous home chargers will be in the future there will probably be some similar off the shelf options one day but for now I am not aware of any. The other thing I don't know is whether it would block the network signal to a smart charger if you put the whole charger in a metal box. It certainly wouldn't help