Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EO Pro Mini or Zappi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After the 2 grants I ended up paying £519, that would have been £819 in England so I'm sure you could get a dumb charger and install for less!

Yes, funny the way these things seem to work as soon as grants are available. From what I've seen on other threads the cost of buying basic smart plus installation less grant is about the same as buying dumb plus installation and getting no grant. So, the grant sort of covers the extra cost of going smart. I think the smart installers are more likely to do a proper job than the local sparks - like how many local sparks would know you need a special (expensive) type of MCB for some dumb EV charging points? Of course if you're not worried about the rules you can save money.

Reactions: Adopado
OK - another question for the charger experts. From comments on this thread, and my own experiences, I thinking that a dumb charger is actually the better approach than smart. However, since this is a swap for a unit installed under the OLEV scheme, I was expecting my installer to say that it wasn't possible. Good news though - they seem comfortable with the idea! So, now I'm thinking of the Tesla charger.

The installer is saying that if I swap from the Elvi to the Tesla then I'll need to have a new RCD breaker - a type B rather than a type A. Looking at the specs for the two chargers I can see that this is indeed the case. However, he's quoting £220 + VAT for the breaker. This seems a lot of money! Anyone got a view?

The installer is saying that if I swap from the Elvi to the Tesla then I'll need to have a new RCD breaker - a type B rather than a type A. Looking at the specs for the two chargers I can see that this is indeed the case. However, he's quoting £220 + VAT for the breaker. This seems a lot of money! Anyone got a view?

Type B are not cheap and thats not unreasonable to supply, fit, test, warranty, profit etc. Yes, you can get cheaper, circa £100 bare unit, but your fitter needs to be happy with what he is fitting in your exact circumstances.

The Zappi has benefits even if you don't have solar:
  1. It does not require an earth rod.
  2. Does not require an external RCD.
  3. It has a CT clamp to measure the energy draw of the house so it can throttle back charging if the house is drawing a lot of current - potentially useful if you have some combination of a low main fuse rating, electric heating, electric cooking etc and risk blowing the main fuse if you draw another 32A to charge a car.
  4. It communicates with its separate internet hub device via radio - does not need a wifi or ethernet connection. The hub plugs into an ethernet socket but can be some distance away as the radio has better penetration than wifi.
After much agonising over which to choose, I had a Zappi installed today. All seems fine so far! I like that its app has figures and graphs for energy consumption for both the house and the EV,

Last edited:
I spoke too soon!

"There is still an issue with the Tesla failing to wake up when the Zappi starts a boost or ECO+ charge – this is due to the Tesla firmware. We understand that they are working on a new release which will fix this problem which affects all smart chargers."

I can confirm that theZappi doesn’t ‘Do what it says on the tin’ for M3 at the moment. Works fine as a dumb fast charger but Eco modes are unreliable. Zappi say they are waiting for a Tesla S/w update for M3. Apparently ok with other ev’s including model S.

OK - another question for the charger experts. From comments on this thread, and my own experiences, I thinking that a dumb charger is actually the better approach than smart. However, since this is a swap for a unit installed under the OLEV scheme, I was expecting my installer to say that it wasn't possible. Good news though - they seem comfortable with the idea! So, now I'm thinking of the Tesla charger.

PDK, referring back to your original post and the problems I’ve seen you expressing in other conversations, I know you’ve run out of patience with the smart stuff. I’ve read similar with others too. Does it work in dumb charger mode? I sense that Tesla are aware of the problem which Jeremy on here is doing some great research into and wonder if it might be fixed soon.

My interest is that I have the inverse. I have a Tesla Wall Connector. When I had my solar fitted, the fitter had one in stock unlike the daft waiting lists with others and he also mentioned the smart problems so I just went with it. But with 2 EVs, I’m considering a second smart one so I can make use of excess solar during daylight (I work from home) when the summer finally arrives or charge two cars at night. So I’m following with interest to see if the problems get ironed out.