Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • The final cut of the 9th episode of the Tesla Motors Club Podcast, featuring Chad Schwitters, the former president of Plug In America, is now available. You can watch it now on YouTube or listen to it on all major podcast networks.

EO Smart Home App Is A Stinking Pile Of Garbage

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
As title really. Anyone else have problems with the app? I can't access any of the settings on my samsung s20+ - like setting times for scheduled charging etc.

Just had to get the boy to install it on his Huawei and set it up for me.

Love the charger otherwise, but the app is soooo bad!

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
Yes, the app is very poor. The settings seem to get lost sometimes, but it was even worse before the last update. It rarely gets any updates.

Occasionally the app tells me no car is connected, but the charge point works just fine.

Personally, I don't bother with the app. Setting the scheduled charge times using the car works very well for me and I use the Tesla app to set charge level, so I just set it low when I don't want a charge. The fewer apps the better.

Likewise, the actual charge point (EO Mini Pro 2) itself is rock solid and I have never had any issues between that and the car. To me, this is all that matters.

I have written to their support, but they just become defensive and don't seem to want feedback. Inside the charge point itself is a Raspberry Pi that controls it, so it's more than capable should they wanna make the most of that.

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
I think it's like asking someone to open the jam jar after you tried, they do first attempt.

I can get the times set in the app, but just sometimes it gets confused and forgets them. I think it's if I open up and set the different schedules then it can get confused. But I couldn't find a way to recreate the issue every time.

The last update improved things dramatically.

Must admit the reviews on the app store for the various chargers completely steered my decision as to which one I purchased....! Saw this one was poorly rated so stayed well clear.

These companies want to sell smart chargers and then release dire software... Frustrating.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Well, went to bed last night, put the car on charge as normal, should have started at half 12, woke up for work this morning...and nothing. No charging.

So went into the app, turned off scheduled charging so it should at least have given my car a 30 minute boost before I left....nothing.

Ended up switching the charger off at the wall and back on again before it would charge!

Totally expected teething problems with this whole setup, although expected them to be mainly from the car to be honest, but this ones going to be a pain if it happens often.

Which one did you go for in the end?
I went for the Ohme. 4/5 on app store, best I could find.

If you have a smart charger, you kind of want it to be smart. Most of these chargers on the market, the companies seem to think the smart thing is an after thought or just something they have to comply with for the grant. As a result it's shoddy and barely does the job.

Reactions: Mm2021

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
I got a smart charger because it worked out cheapest, plus this actual charge unit (outside of smart settings) is rock solid and physically robust. It's such a small unit, it just blends in.

I don't actually want it smart, but seemed silly to pay more when it's so easy to un-smart a smart charger.

I'm tempted to take the SD card out of the unit (that's in the raspberry pi zero inside) and take a look. Maybe an opportunity for a custom firmware. It does have the hardware to be very special.

I got a smart charger because it worked out cheapest, plus this actual charge unit (outside of smart settings) is rock solid and physically robust. It's such a small unit, it just blends in.

I don't actually want it smart, but seemed silly to pay more when it's so easy to un-smart a smart charger.

I'm tempted to take the SD card out of the unit (that's in the raspberry pi zero inside) and take a look. Maybe an opportunity for a custom firmware. It does have the hardware to be very special.
Sounds good.

As the tech gets adopted, no doubt there will be better software available...

Wish I read this before having mine installed.
Charger works but the app is only good for scheduling. On one occasion it started charging with the padlock on.
Also charged 28kw 2 nights ago which I estimate at £1.50. Smart meter was showing £4..can't work out what else was on.

pdk42

Jul 17, 2019
Leamington
I swapped our dumb EVBox charger for an EO Mini 2 when we got an ID3 since the VW’s in car charging simply didn’t work due to bugs (hardly unusual with the ID3!). The app is nothing special, but it’s always worked fine - which is more than I can say for the VW app that comes with the car!

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC