Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EOQ Delivery from Hell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery of my inventory MS75 last night and wanted to share my experience and get your thoughts.

My appointment was about 45 min late but I get it's EOQ so no big deal.

I finally get presented the car and the first thing the agent did was apologize to me about the crappy detail job they did due to EOQ. Car was slightly dirty but no worries since they said they will put it on the due bill. I was just excited to get the car.

I go through my orientation and look at the odometer and it has 350 miles more than what they told me when I purchased - 650ish miles total.

I inspect the car and notice a small dent on the left blinker, a scruffed up front rim, and a minor scratch on the chrome trim behind the driver side mirror.

Agent goes to the back and said they will fix the front rim but not the two other defects due to the discount I received. I was livid and said even though it's an inventory car, it's still supposed to be new. Agent said there was nothing she could do. I told my agent that this is not what I expect from the Tesla brand since the brand is about having great customer service. I told her that I've read so many feel good stories of people taking delivery that just simply is not the case right now for me.

After a stand still, I give in and start signing papers since in the grand scheme of things, I rationalized to myself that the minor blemishes and extra miles were worth the $8k discount.

I start to sign papers and noticed they completely messed up the terms of my loan so they had to go back to finance and regenerate papers. After about half an hour of waiting, we resume signing for another half hour. Once we finished, the agent comes back and tells me we have to re-sign everything since they forgot to print the contract number onto each form. At this point agent finally feels bad and says, "you know what, I'm going to fix everything since your whole night has been a disaster and proceeds to include everything on the due bill." Inside, I was jumping with joy. I had to go through hell and back but it was worth it to get my MS!

Anyone have a similar situation taking on an inventory car?

Reactions: David29
This was in Costa Mesa, CA btw.

Ugh. Sorry to hear about your poor experience. I'm slated to take delivery there too, and am now concerned that they'll take a hard line on minor issues. Not that my DS can be bothered to even reply to one of my emails (I'm starting to think we might have the same one).

I can tell they're trying as a company, but this has been the worst car buying experience I've ever had.

Took delivery Thursday in Dedham MA, with some minor disappointments: my owner advisor had said that a CHAdeMO adapter and iPhone dock would be available for purchase at delivery, but neither one was; and I did not get any case/holder for the key fobs. So I had to order online from their computer while they were switching plates and will now take a week to get here.

We also forgot to move my EZ Pass from my trade-in, but I'll take some of the blame on that. They shipped it to me overnight, which is great.

Reactions: David29
Oops accidental post above from my browser history and I don't know how to edit posts.

Anyway, am I supposed to get license plate or at least screws for the plate s at delivery? I'm also missing my battery size badge in the back.

Demo cars are sold as new, but they are not actually new as in no one drove it. Minor scuffs and the like are definitely possible, they have a set of standards for that. The discount is supposed to remedy the fact that there is usage. It is technically new because it was never registered, but it is not in never used, in brand new condition.

I'm glad it worked out for you in the end.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Max*
That's interesting that they aren't badging the 60s or 75s. That would explain why I'm seeing so many newer style cars without badges on them; I assumed people were shimmying them off!

Who were your delivery contacts? Just curious for my edification, as I picked up from that location earlier this year.