Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EoY 2019 Deliveries: Quality Control Thread

Are there issues with your build that need to be addressed?

• Yes

Votes: 31 58.5%
  • No

Votes: 22 41.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few days later I noticed the rubber trim on the right passenger side was not seated all the way in so just pushed it in and all is good. Feeling pretty happy with Tesla after a 2 month wait.

I just "finished the install" of the rubber seals around the door openings. Since Tesla couldn't be bothered, I took a rubber mallet, covered the rubber with cellophane to avoid any transfer to the interior bits, and whacked all along the seals to properly seat them. If you try that, you'll be surprised how much they move in because clearly they didn't finish this job at the factory. All like new now.

I just "finished the install" of the rubber seals around the door openings. Since Tesla couldn't be bothered, I took a rubber mallet, covered the rubber with cellophane to avoid any transfer to the interior bits, and whacked all along the seals to properly seat them. If you try that, you'll be surprised how much they move in because clearly they didn't finish this job at the factory. All like new now.

This is one of the issues I have too. They're all bowing inward and outward. Do you just push them directly up?

This is one of the issues I have too. They're all bowing inward and outward. Do you just push them directly up?

Around the window trim you whack them up and around. Toward the bottom you whack them in. Get a mallet because you can't really hit them hard enough with your hand to properly seat them and they'll just pop out again. It's a good amount of force needed.

Almost half of my car had to be re-sprayed at the Tesla approved body shop earlier this year. The paint match was spot on and I couldn't see any color differences in direct sunlight or under florescent light. I was happy with the work they did.

Will your re-spray be done at a Tesla approved shop or is Tesla going to be the one to do the re-spray ?

Now you got me even more scared then I originally was. It's going to a Tesla approved shop, but the shop has very good reviews. The SC near mine doesn't have a body shop.

How much does this matter?

• Disagree
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
Now you got me even more scared then I originally was. It's going to a Tesla approved shop, but the shop has very good reviews. The SC near mine doesn't have a body shop.

How much does this matter?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. One of the Mobile techs I spoke to also helps at the Tesla approved body shop. He said to become an approved shop, the company and its employees have to go through an extensive and expensive training program. He also said the body shop must meet specific facility requirements such as space and equipment.

Ask to see some of the cars the body shop has worked on, so you can see if their level of workmanship is up to your satisfaction. If the approved shop in your area is anything like mine, there will most likely be a lot of Teslas they are currently working on or just completed. On my initial consult appointment, they showed me examples of their work to explain some of their processes. Good Luck !!

Reading threads like this it’s easy to think that all Teslas are poorly built. But the reality is most of us have had zero issues with our Model 3’s. We own two of them and both were delivered in flawless condition, and neither have required any service at all.

On occasion Tesla does let a car slip through that has some defects. If you get assigned one of those cars just reject it and ask to be assigned another one. With the tax credit now completely gone the demand should ease up a bit and local delivery centers should begin to have some inventory available for immediate purchase. Just take your time to properly inspect the car and be sure you take home a car that is free from any issues that will require follow up visits.

Reactions: giantshark18
Are Model 3s supposed to have paint color applied to the bottom edge of the doors?

RNFhSsn.png

Yikes !! Did they all fail at the same time ?

yes, i first noticed that the rear camera did not work and then when i got it on the road there was no detection of lanes, cars, cones, etc. in the driving display, so i assume that means all the cameras were offline.

after reading a little bit here i see that if you wait for the car to go into deep sleep (which i guess removes all power from the various computers) then it should come back on the next boot. i just tried powering up the car and at least the backup camera is now working. will have to see what it does tomorrow morning.

after reading a little bit here i see that if you wait for the car to go into deep sleep (which i guess removes all power from the various computers) then it should come back on the next boot. i just tried powering up the car and at least the backup camera is now working. will have to see what it does tomorrow morning.

Good Luck - hope you get all the cameras and GPS working again soon. Sometimes, I get a slight delay of the rear camera image when shifting into reverse. It's not all the time and happens sporadically....

how did you find the email address for your service center?

Sorry for the late reply! i think I found it on the Tesla website, it was simple, like SanDiego_service @ Tesla or something - not like they responded at all. So I walked into the service center yesterday and they said “oh to add things to your due bill, you needed to email delivery, not service, otherwise we can’t bill it to your due bill” so I had to forward my original email to delivery. Not surprised I didn’t get any response from them either. Really, it’s a good thing Tesla doesn’t require much maintenance or service cuz............. Tesla really isnt responsive. Only when I want to give them more money by buying a car or upgrading, that’s the only time they’re responsive.

Good Luck - hope you get all the cameras and GPS working again soon. Sometimes, I get a slight delay of the rear camera image when shifting into reverse. It's not all the time and happens sporadically....

thanks - yeah it sounds like the "delayed startup" could be a different (but perhaps related problem). for me there was a good 20 minutes of no cameras.

if that’s a pic of the inside of your door........ then... the answer is that my door is painted. It’s red all the way up on the inside...

Thanks, it's the bottom edge wrapping around to the inside of all doors on this car, not noticeable standing outside looking down at the doors.

I know there are non exposed areas that just don't receive as much paint color, trunk hinges etc. I was wondering if this was one of them.

As it's a semi-exposed portion of the car where road debris may enter from along the side I am a little surprised.