Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EPA 215 miles, what will the real world range likely to be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI All,

I'd love a Tesla and test drove the S a couple of times here in the UK. The 70D with my options is still a over my budget.

So the Model 3 seems a highly likely purchase, especially as the smaller size suits the roads that I travel on daily.

I was wondering, with a minimum EPA of 215 miles, what can we assume/speculate will actually be in real world miles?

Chris

ymwv, depending on YOUR driving habits.
Since only you know your driving habits ...

If you know the fuel economy of the car you currently drive you can make an educated guess towards a different car because the the ratios tend to hold reasonably true.

Let's say you get 80% of the NEDC label;
EPA is about 70% of NEDC

Then in this example, you would estimate (215/0.7)*0.8

Note that imperial gallons are 20% larger than US

Last edited:
Just looked at the Model S 70D specs, the US page shows 240 miles. Is that the EPA that Elon mentions? As the UK Pages shows 275 miles NEDC

From what information I have gleamed from reading the forums, a 70D in the UK can expect to get 200 miles?

I assume that the US 240 is the EPA, so (200/240)*215=179.

So, for UK style driving, in Dry conditions, during Spring, Summer and Autumn we are looking at 179 miles.

20% less when wet? 143 miles?

All in all, I think I could work with that mileage for my normal day to day commute and if they can squeeze more mileage out by the time they start building these, even better.

3 miles per kWh is an oft reported, conservative value of Model S owners.
Model 3 will be no less, perhaps up to 3.5 miles per kWh

I think the small battery will be no less than 50 kWh capacity, so the "real world" American ranges seem likely to be 150 - 175 miles.

HI All,

I'd love a Tesla and test drove the S a couple of times here in the UK. The 70D with my options is still a over my budget.

So the Model 3 seems a highly likely purchase, especially as the smaller size suits the roads that I travel on daily.

I was wondering, with a minimum EPA of 215 miles, what can we assume/speculate will actually be in real world miles?

Chris

With an EPA of 215

SUMMER/SPRING/EARLY FALL (TEMP>45F but <85F)
200 highway driving
215 city driving

WINTER (TEMP <45F)
130 highway driving
150 city driving

based on my experience

I own an S60 which had an EPA rating of 208 miles. So I'd expect the base 3 to have very similar range.

Real world range is impacted by several things -- elevation changes, temp, wind speed and direction, and most importantly your driving speed.

In my daily commuting, I get pretty close to rated range. But road trips are a different story, especially at highway speeds (75-80 mph). The speed is fast enough that you will never get rated range.

But it doesn't matter. Tesla has spaced the Superchargers out well -- most are 90-130 miles apart. Even with speed and elevation changes, you can make it between them easily.

Reactions: cdub
HI All,

Chris
I'd say just upgrade to whatever the largest battery is. That will probably give 300+ miles and just be $10-15k more. Still WAY below a 70D.

Reactions: cdub
With an EPA of 215

SUMMER/SPRING/EARLY FALL (TEMP>45F but <85F)
200 highway driving
215 city driving

WINTER (TEMP <45F)
130 highway driving
150 city driving

based on my experience
This seems very off, based on my experiences.

Summer driving I can match or beat the EPA estimate, even while speeding slightly.
Winter driving I get a lot more than 60% of EPA estimates.