Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electroman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Aug 18, 2012
TX
Yeah, probably about 300 miles on the freeway (at 320Wh/mi which is great for this type of vehicle) is what should be expected, which seems fine given the Supercharging rate.
If I can go 300 miles comfortably in summer and 250 in winter, that is pretty good IMO. Of course range is king, and more range is always welcome, and it comes in handy when you need to drive 50 miles away from the highways. But I will take 300 driving at 75 with AC on. That is more than 4 hours of driving, enough to take a good break.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
If I can go 300 miles comfortably in summer and 250 in winter, that is pretty good IMO. Of course range is king, and more range is always welcome, and it comes in handy when you need to drive 50 miles away from the highways. But I will take 300 driving at 75 with AC on. That is more than 4 hours of driving, enough to take a good break.
300 is for a 100% to 0% discharge or so. So realistically it will be less. 320Wh/mi is of course best case. Probably doable though.

Tony8489

Oct 17, 2015
320Wh/mi is of course best case.
I don't think so. Last summer in 8,200 miles of cross country driving at average speed of 75mph we averaged 308 Wh/mi. I presume the new Model S has some efficiency improvements over our 2019 Raven, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't get under 300 Wh/mi in long distance interstate driving.

For those same 8,200 miles, actual miles driven were 80% of rated miles of charge consumed. So I'll guess 320 miles for a 100% to 0% discharge on new Model S.

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I don't think so. Last summer in 8,200 miles of cross country driving at average speed of 75mph we averaged 308 Wh/mi. I presume the new Model S has some efficiency improvements over our 2019 Raven, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't get under 300 Wh/mi in long distance interstate driving.

For those same 8,200 miles, actual miles driven were 80% of rated miles of charge consumed. So I'll guess 320 miles for a 100% to 0% discharge on new Model S.

That is a good datapoint. I have to admit I don’t know exactly for Model S where things end up - I have a Model 3 and I expect about 300Wh/mi with non-optimized tires and wheels. Anyway, 308Wh/mi indicated will give you about 310 miles for a full discharge not including the buffer - and a little more if it does end up being a 103kWh full pack rather than 100kWh. So yeah, 320 miles for a complete discharge without the buffer seems possible.

Last edited:

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC