TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

EPA Sticker needed before AWD deliveries?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by webdbbt, Jul 9, 2018.

1. webdbbt

webdbbt Member

I went looking for an EPA sticker for the Model 3 AWD and as expected one is not yet posted. InsideEVs has an article saying that a CARB rating was just submitted by Tesla.

So is this why nobody (AFIK) has received a VIN for AWD/Performance: Tesla needs the EPA sticker?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Good point. Is this enough of a variation that it needs testing/evaluation? I would assume so as new battery packs produced new EPA cerfification. Can’t they sell them in advance, though? ISTR the 100 pack cars being sold before the EPA cert was out. Or am I remembering wrong?

3. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

All current Model 3s use the same battery pack but it wouldn't surprise me that the addition of the front motor means re-certification cause reasons...

4. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

Every different drivetrain needs to be certified if I’m not mistaken.

• Like x 1
  5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

My S100D was at the center for a week or two before I could pick it up. The window sticker said something like “can not sell” in the EPA box.

Not sure what triggers the requirements as the P100D was already out for a while.

6. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

My bmw sat several weeks at the port waiting for an epa approval.

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Yeah, I recall now the delay. And now I see an article that the AWD and P ‘will start to be delivered next week’. (Sorry, ‘coming weeks’!) So I guess they will have this cleared up by then?

Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor and Performance CARB filing shows interesting range results

8. TesWhisperer

TesWhisperer Member

Hopefully they have a stockpile and this is what they’re waiting for. As soon as the certification comes, Christmas in July?

9. the_danimal

the_danimal Member

My thought exactly, although July is generous. No reason to not stockpile them until approval is met.

10. webdbbt

webdbbt Member

Well let's hope the CARB submission means the EPA is not far behind. Maybe this is why Elon tweeted about 100 M3P are going to be used for test drives: can't be sold yet...