Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the EPA revoke CA emissions waiver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for sharing this article. Just one of my fears may become a reality. As well, the Trump criminals may start selling our public lands off. Disney National Park replacing Yellowstone, Exxon National Park replacing Denali National Park.
trump criminals? wow! which criminals are you referring to?
That's so funny. I meant cronies but spell check wrote "criminals".

The thread title is not yet precisely correct. Still the White House website has had any reference to climate change removed, and Scott Pruitt has publicly declared himself in opposition to EPA regulations many times.
The oddity certainly is that States Rights would argue that California and the States that follow should be able to do as they wish. The story is not complete. The signs are certainly not positive but it remains to be seen what happens. The published White House energy policy explicits does not mention any renewable energy source. That also cannot be accidental.

Trump signals changing priorities, revises White House website to remove climate change

regardless of the title, this discussion has nothing to do with political position. It is about science. Admittedly most people in the current administration do not have any scientific background and seem incurious to understand science. If so, the title could be accurate in only a few more days.

I'm not at all surprised that he'd want to do this - it's the one thing that could make a difference in protecting the oil company monopolies and delaying the EV.

I am surprised he thinks he can change a half century of precedent overnight, though - and that he's okay with claiming the federal government shouldn't impose requirements because it's the state's job in most cases, but California's longstanding state requirements aren't acceptable with a straight face.

I have serious doubts that this will happen, but even if the federal government were successful in forcing more polluting cars on California and the states that follow it against their will, one immediate unintended consequence of that would almost certainly be the adoption of state-level policies that avoid the emission problem altogether by accelerating the adoption of clean BEVs along with solar power.

The economics are already there and the transition is already happening, and I am quite confident that if the feds tried to force weaker pollution laws on California, Jerry Brown and the CA legislature would not hesitate to speed up the transition to a clean energy and clean transportation future.

In fact, Governor Brown has already been quite outspoken about his resolve to protect the environment, regardless of what happens in Washington. Jerry Brown vows to fight Trump on climate: "California will launch its own damn satellite" And there is a ton of political support in California to back him up.

Bottom line: if they try this, it could backfire in a very big way.

Last edited:
I have serious doubts that this will happen, but even if the federal government were successful in forcing more polluting cars on California and the states that follow it against their will, one immediate unintended consequence of that would almost certainly be the adoption of state-level policies that avoid the emission problem altogether by accelerating the adoption of clean BEVs along with solar power.

The economics are already there and the transition is already happening, and I am quite confident that if the feds tried to force weaker pollution laws on California, Jerry Brown and the CA legislature would not hesitate to speed up the transition to a clean energy and clean transportation future.

In fact, Governor Brown has already been quite outspoken about his resolve to protect the environment, regardless of what happens in Washington. Jerry Brown vows to fight Trump on climate: "California will launch its own damn satellite" And there is a ton of political support in California to back him up.

I would be in the streets protesting in a big way!

• Disagree
Reactions: AndreN and Eclectic
... Governor Brown has already been quite outspoken about his resolve to protect the environment, regardless of what happens in Washington. Jerry Brown vows to fight Trump on climate: "California will launch its own damn satellite" And there is a ton of political support in California to back him up.

As a proud Native Son, born in Upland, I hope you're correct. One way or another I am confident that resistance is not futile.
After all:
States Adopting California's Clean Cars Standards
Since Maryland joined there are a total of twelve states following CARB policies. They had 178 Electoral votes in 2016. Most went Democrat but quite a few did not. I rather think even the Trump administration might be cautious about challenging a very popular 12 State/178 Electoral vote policy, especially when US Senators and Representatives begin to hear howls of objections.

With some coordination this battle should not be unsurmountable. As for other issues, I'm probably less optimistic.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and Eclectic