TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

EPA to VW: make electric cars in the US

Discussion in 'News' started by Dutchie, Feb 21, 2016.

1. Dutchie

Dutchie Member

This is great news
    EPA To Volkswagen: Make Electric Cars In The U.S.

- - - Updated - - -

here is the original translated article

Google Translate

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Really none of the EPAs business where VW makes its cars.

3. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

Absolutely terrible idea.

Make them pay the fines. If you must, make them pay for scrubbers at coal plants. Do not make them install idiotic 25 kW CCS chargers at dealerships that they probably would have done anyways.

4. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

This is in line with the public letter signed by many environmentalists including Elon...

It's also somewhat separate from the fines and more directed toward what to do with ~500k non-compliant cars. The point is that forcing VW to fix or recall those vehicles would be extremely expensive. That money would be better spent furthering the transition to EVs.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

But as techmaven said, installing those "fast chargers" that are not so fast isn't going to accomplish that. If anything it will impede the transition to EVs because it will be so frustrating to people who just want to get where they're going and dont care about what type if motor their car has.

6. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Did the EPA specify what and where or just to help build a network of charging stations? I agree the EPA shouldn't micro manage. Give VW a goal and let them fulfill that goal as they see fit.

7. YBT

YBT Member

Any relation in this to Audi announcing a high speed charging network across the US this week?

VAG are obviously intent on making a big song and dance about sustainability to the media to try and dilute all of the horrible Dieselgate attention & coverage.

If and/or when this tactic finally solidifies itself into actual workable plans backed with action everybody will see the benefits. The problem is that point may not be as close as we hope due to the financial woes of cleaning up the old 'we collaborated at an executive level to deceive the world, poison the air and make money while we're at it' schtick. It is exponentially cheaper to release feel good PR than to actually develop the things they are talking about, which may be all they are willing to do until the cash flow proposition is a little less scary.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I question whether the US EPA has the legal authority to make Tesla do what that article claims. But perhaps if VW agreed to take such actions as part of a settlement of "Dieselgate" it could happen. But I am not going to assume that German newspaper report is accurate.

9. emchen

emchen Member

Here is the the open letter found at the Newsweek website.

BTW, I think the letter makes great sense!

10. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I think we just discovered the new model 3. Elon is going to swap out the diesel engine in all Golf, Jetta and Passats!

11. flankspeed8

flankspeed8 Member

They need to do more than just manufacture the same. How about committing to the development of a truly competitive EV, not the low range stuff they are making now. I don't think the government will be the one to force though, the market will. They have burned their bridges with so many. My previous two cars were VW's. Never again unless they truly make a genuine and massive commitment to real EV's.

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

...artificial reef...:wink:

Agree totally...move forward!

13. Ed Hart

Ed Hart Member

We should probably wait until we hear a statement from the EPA on whether or not this "proposal" is true. Such a move is very out-of-character for a government agency. Besides....a bunch of VW executives and minions still need to do some jail time. I don't think the EPA can negotiate shorter prison sentences!

14. deonb

deonb Active Member

If VW didn't want to be dictated to by the EPA, they shouldn't have handed them so much leverage on a silver platter.

15. EMP40

EMP40 Member

Bingo! Govt. out of control.