TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Epic EV from Ampev

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by vfx, Jul 22, 2010.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This is from one of the former Aptera guys, right?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#3 TEG, Sep 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I hope they were just babying the prototype in that AMP EV video.

With Electric motor torque those front wheels should be able to stay in the air until the rear wheels crest that tiny hill.

5. domenick

domenick Nerd

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Same 0-60 as an S (why? it's so much smaller) and less practical... not sure it'll fly.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Well if it were capable of FLYING, that would be exciting.

:)

8. Zextraterrestrial

By the way it looks I'd expect it to. pretty ugly.

for $65K I think many people around here would be able to beat an S with something that small (um, speed wise). You can see straight through (between the seats in the picture above) and see the ground :eek:

9. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Well that pretty much answers any ideas of fording water with an EV. People will not consider if they get wet backs. :tongue:

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

obviously based on the KTM Crossbow, but the article draws references to the Ariel Atom :confused:
    640px-KTM_Crossbow_-_Flickr_-_Supermac1961.jpg

12. Sparky

Sparky Member

I went to the Torq launch event today and got a test ride in Epic's new roadster. It was a fun event and great to be able to talk with those in charge of the design and launch of this creature. They had 3 vehicles for test rides and a long line of folks queued up.
    It was nice to see Steve Fambro, Aptera co-founder with Epic's Chris Anthony, there too. I enjoyed talking with them both.

Jumps off the line like a scared cat and corners very flat. Skitters a little when taken hard around corners. I guess the lost traction and stability from the missing 4th wheel hurts.
    They said when driven moderately, it's gets around 80-90 miles range. DC motor, so no regen. For me, that's the number one feature; one pedal driving, I would like to see to improve the driving fun. It is quite wide. I paced off over 90 inches.

Yes, it's 3 wheels and the styling is agressive. I think in this case it suits the car perfectly. Very niche, high-end market, but I'd like to see them sell some. A great bunch of people at Epic.

Torq1.jpg Torq3.jpg

13. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

14. DavidV

DavidV Member

15. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Hi David!

Sparky,
    How is there no regen but there is one foot driving?

Golfcart?

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I skimmed their website. I didn't find any specs on the type of motor or batteries they're using. Anyone know?

17. Sparky

Sparky Member

The batteries come from Flux Power, another Chris Anthony company. I was told they were LiFePO4. They are packaged in 12V strings with BMS (via RF comm it appeared). It looked to me like the motor and controller were NetGain. Pretty beefy looking and the same thing they use on their AMP EV off-road 4WD.
    @vfx: Re: the one pedal driving; Sorry, my twisted sentence structure was confusing.
    I meant to say, the TORQ EV has a DC motor and thus, no regen and I think the one-pedal driving feature you can get with an induction motor and sufficient regen would be a big plus for something this "sporty".

18. drees

drees Active Member

I spotted an orange one on La Mirada in Vista yesterday afternoon around 2pm while walking to lunch. I believe Epic EV is somewhere around here - perhaps closer than I think! How to get a test ride in one...

I know Aptera was just around the corner and with some of the Epic EV guys from Aptera...